PDA

View Full Version : Adult only trip, any ideas ?

DCDisney
01-09-2008, 11:15 AM
I finally get a trip alone with my significant other, no kids, and not a solo trip. We won't want to get all dressed up and go to any of the romantic, fancy restaurants. So, besides "romantic" dining, does anyone have any ideas on things to see or do, in or out of the parks ? We'll have a rental car. We will be there at the beginning of March, with about 3 full days in Orlando (staying on property). We're not young, but we're not old either. What have you done with just your "honey" (ahen, that's G rated), at WDW ? Thanks for any ideas.

p.s. I already booked the Ft. Wilderness Segway tour for one of the mornings.

faline
01-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Here are some ideas for Romance at Disney World.http://intercot.com/infocentral/adults/romance.asp

Personally, I just enjoy being able to share rides, shows, etc. with my spouse.

One of my favorite things to do is to go to the Poly Beach and watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from that vantage point!

DNS
01-09-2008, 11:59 AM
When we go without kids, we do some of the same things, but here are a few ideas of things we have done, or are planning to do.
Take a backstage tour (there are many)
Rent a boat (the small boats are a blast)
Parasailing
Hit the clubs at Pleasure Island
Dine at Victoria & Alberts
Dine at any of the higher end restaurants
Play tennis or golf
Hotel hop (We like checking out restaurants and shops at other hotels.)
Honestly, there are so many great things to do with or without kids there.

Birnbaum's official guide has a guide book for going without kids. I've never read it myself, but you can probably find one at your local library. They are available for purchase also.

Brian
01-09-2008, 01:00 PM
We're not into romantic dining either (at least the overly fancy stuff), but my wife and I really enjoyed our meal at California Grill (atop the Contemporary). It's a great atmosphere, and if you are there during the fireworks, they'll hold your meal and let you go outside to watch. I didn't have to get dressed up, either, which was nice. Sneakers, shorts, and a polo shirt were acceptable. I did see a guy get kicked out for a tank top, though.

Other ideas... Rent a boat. There are two good spots for doing this... At any of the Magic Kingdom resorts or at Downtown Disney (or any of the nearby resorts -- Port Orleans, Saratoga, Old Key West, etc.) We always rent a pontoon boat while we're there and have a blast.

Resort hopping is another fun thing to do. Incorporating a walk is nice, too. For example, you can walk along the beach between the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian; between the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness on a wooded path, and all the way from Epcot to the Studios, passing by all of the Epcot hotels.

Hanging out at the Boardwalk at night is nice. We usually grab a meal here at either the ESPN Cafe or at the brewery (I'm drawing a blank on the name right now). Nearby to the Boardwalk is miniature golf. This is always fun, too.

Nurse Kim
01-09-2008, 01:25 PM
On our trip DH and I have an evening without the kids planned.

Parasailing
miniature golf
Dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse
Carriage Ride

BronxTigger
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Go to the resorts in the afternoon while the parks are at their most crowded and the resorts are a relaxing spot. Go to POFQ and enjoy begneits and walk around by the water. Go to CBR and relax in the hammocks. Go to the Poly or GF and walk along the beach. It's a nice break from the crowds of the parks.

You could get a bike rental at the Boardwalk (and some other resorts...I think POFQ and WL) and ride it around.

You could play miniature golf or play air hockey at an arcade (that is like DH and my tradition...we play air hockey any time we see one!)

Explore World Showcase at a nice pace. Go all the way to the backs of the pavilions and really appreciate the details of each one.

DCDisney
01-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks. I find the idea about renting a boat to be interesting. Don't think I would have come up with that one. Anyone have a nice experience with renting at a certain place ? What type of boat (for 2 rookies on the water !) would be the easiest ?

Keep the ideas coming.

Mary M
01-10-2008, 10:12 AM
After watching Illuminations at Epcot, take your time walking back to the front of the park. The crowds pass by pretty quickly, leaving you to stroll in empty streets with low light. Quite lovely.

We also like to sit and watch the dancing fountain behind SSE.

DisneyQuest is a lot of fun, if you're into that.

A lot of the resorts have nice, laid back bars. (Boardwalk has a very nice one). You can sit and have a drink and talk.

diz_girl
01-10-2008, 10:45 AM
The Segway tour is a great idea. You can also try the Keys to the Kingdom tour at MK.

We rented the water sprites/sea raycers and we do that almost every (except 2005) trip, ever since I was 6 y.o. They're mini-speedboats, although you can't go higher than 25mph, so they're not really speedy. No boating experience is needed and they're fun. You can rent at the MK resorts, among other places, ride around Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake and take in some great views. By May there's usually the 3pm thunderstorm, so you may want to rent in the morning.

Our past 3 trips have been child-free. We dined at Narcoosee's, rented bikes, and watched the fireworks from the Poly beach, as well as viewed the Electric Water Pageant by the MK. There's plenty to do.

faline
01-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks. I find the idea about renting a boat to be interesting. Don't think I would have come up with that one. Anyone have a nice experience with renting at a certain place ? What type of boat (for 2 rookies on the water !) would be the easiest ?

Keep the ideas coming.

I'd suggest a float boat. They're very easy to drive and give you lots of room to walk around on board. You could pack a picnic lunch and eat on board while you cruise. I'd suggest renting from the Poly or somewhere on that lake so you ride by the Magic Kingdom!

ThanxForNoticin
01-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I'd suggest a float boat. They're very easy to drive and give you lots of room to walk around on board. You could pack a picnic lunch and eat on board while you cruise. I'd suggest renting from the Poly or somewhere on that lake so you ride by the Magic Kingdom!

I absolutely agree with this suggestion. When we don't have the kids, we will usually make it a point to rent a pontoon boat for an hour - our preference is to grab some goodies at the Contemporary and then leave from there. An hour allows us plenty of time to eat lunch and to get around both ends of the lake. We will often cruise by the Wilderness Lodge at the top of the hour to see the geyser. This hour is SO relaxing! Have a great time. And for as fun as Disney is with the kids, you will be amazed by how much fun you can have for a few days without them, too.

Tigger&Stitch
01-12-2008, 01:59 AM
One of our favorite things to do is in MGM (Hollywood Studios) - Artists Studio in the Magic of Disney Animation. We typically go at the end of the day so we have it all to ourselves. There, a Disney Animator leads you through drawing a character.

Another vote for resort hopping too. =) We had so much fun doing that on our last trip!

Also, if you are planning to go to Downtown Disney, the Adventurer's Club is wicked fun. :thumbsup:

:tigger:

wendy*darling
01-12-2008, 02:57 PM
I see you are staying at PO- Riverside. The lounge there (River Roost) has live entertainment 5 nights a week (check at the front desk for a schedule). They have appetizer's and a relaxing atmosphere.

We enjoy the tours. The Segway tour is great. We have done the one in Epcot twice. I am sure you will enjoy the one at FW. Keys to the Kingdom was really good too.

I also would plan a nicer meal- not dressy or too romantic- just nicer and slower paced than when the kids are there. We like the Brown Derby, Cali Grill, Artist Point and most of the Epcot restaurants.

Mini golf is fun, shopping in DTD (you can take the boat from POR), maybe even Cirque du Soleil.

Another poster said it first- but I will emphasize- you will be surprised at how much fun it is to be at WDW without your kids! :mickey: We are now doing one trip with the kids and one without every year.
Next year we will be empty nesters- so we can do spur of the moment trips- we can't wait! :D

teambricker04
01-12-2008, 11:53 PM
My DH and Dad did the segway tour at EPCOT and both of them had a BLAST! My mom and I took our turn with out the big and little boys by going to the Afternoon Tea at the GF. It was scrumptious and relaxing! It was fun to walk around the hotel while the masses were at the parks.

When my DH and I were at WDW on our honeymoon we went to the luau at the Poly. Most people say they don't like it, but we had a good time.

I like the boat idea.

TheMartellFamily
01-13-2008, 02:55 PM
yep there is truly so much to do. We truly enjoy taking our time and walking around the world showcase and getting a glass of wine or beer here and there. They we go and watch illuminations. When it is over then we take our time to get out of the park. We have also enjoyed a meal at California Grill and watch the fireworks at the MK. They also have carriage rides available. These are just some ideas for a time sans kids.

teamblackwell
01-13-2008, 04:59 PM
hey,
Since you have a rental car, try a dinner show one night. We went to the Arabian Knights show and it was fabulous. Its a similar experience to the Medivel Times. As I remember it was about a 10-15 minute drive from WDW. They have a special package that costs a few bucks more, but it include fast seating and a meet and greet with the performers and their horses. very neat!

ryca1dreams
01-13-2008, 07:20 PM
If you're into it, about 15 miles south of WDW is the Disney Wilderness Preserve. I have never been there, but they have hiking trails and a conservation learning center. It is certainly something different (and quieter) than the parks for a nice getaway.

You can do a search and find info on it deep inside the Disney website.