PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Trip Reflections, Dec. 24-31

Jeff
01-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Details:
Cast: Me, 47; Wife Daughter Hannah, 17
We have been many times to WDW and 5 times over Christmas Week
Hotel: Swan. Great location, great beds, excellent staff. Don’t give me that “non Disney feel stuff – it’s my report and we like the Swan and have stayed there several times.
Dates: Dec. 24th through Dec. 31st.
Transportation: Lansing Airport to Sanford Airport. (love small airports) rented a car

Even on Christmas Day one can see a lot and ride all of the main attractions. However, you MUST get to a park when it opens, use fast pass wisely and be prepared to walk a lot. If you won’t do the above be prepare for a rough day. As an example of what can be done, here is our Christmas Day in detail. My family started Christmas Day in the Magic Kingdom. We were there before 7am. We got our “traditional family Christmas Picture” with Mickey/Minnie Santa hats in front of the castle and rode all of the Fantasy Land attractions plus the Haunted Mansion, TTA, Buzz and saw the Monster Inc. Laugh Show (my wife was chosen to be the person who had her “mind read”; she looked great on the big screen with her Minnie Santa Hat on and she was very good. It was a highlight of the trip.) We Did all this and left the MK at 10:00 am. We headed to Epcot for the rest of the day via the monorail. An Epcot CM told us the MK “closed” at 11am. We then had a great Christmas day at Epcot. We went right to Soarin and got fast passes, which were for 3:05. I wish WDW would save some congestion and hand out Soarin fast passes outside the Land Pavilion instead of making you traverse that mob scene – this might make “Living with the Land” doable again as well. We then headed right to the World Showcase as it was opening. Did the New Mexican Boat ride and Maelstrom as walk-ons. Leisurely strolled the WS in front of the crowds. Listened to the “Voices of Liberty” and saw the “American Adventure”. Hannah got the traditional Christmas Henna “tattoo” (sarcasm there) from Morocco. Back to FW to ride Figment then use fastpass for Soarin. Then back to Canada for our Candlelight Processional Dinner at Le Celleir (fantastic) then to the show. The show was great, as usual and makes for a wonderful end to a Christmas Day. The lady seated to my right, who chose to sing the entire show wasn’t too bad and mostly on key. The gal next to her, however, who signed the show from her seat, judging by the professional signer on stage, was way off. Not knowing sign language this did not bother me too much. The family next to Hannah was somewhat distraught to realize that the Candlelight Processional was “a God thing”. Are you kidding me? Perhaps “non religious” means illiterate in their case as well. Couldn’t you read that the show was “a telling of the traditional Christmas Story in word and song”. The “traditional Christmas story” – there’s your first hint that’s it’s not the Rudolph story. This genius family made their anti religious comments out loud and got up and left. Give me a break! In spite of the distractions the show was excellent. We stayed for the Holiday Wishes then walked back to the Swan. It was a great Christmas Day.

Our other days in the parks were much the same. Beat the crowds in the morning. Do a lot before most folks arrive. Leave for lunch at a resort or Downtown Disney then go back to a park for the evening show. The longest line we stood in all week was 20 minutes for Winnie the Pooh on the 30th during the second nighttime parade and this we did mostly because we were tired of walking for a while.

A family Disney highlight was made this trip on December 30th. The Magic Kingdom was open from 7am till 4am on the 31st because of extra magic hours. We checked out from the Swan on the 30th, drove to the TTC and were in the MK by 10am. We then stayed till 4am the following morning. We did not have a hotel for the night of the 30th as our flight left Sanford airport at 7:40am on the 31st. We just stayed in the park and then drove right to the airport. The MK was so cool after midnight. The crowds thinned out more than we ever imagined they would. We rode things as walk-ons. It was great. The temps during the day reached 85 and even at 4am it was shorts and teeshirt weather. We enjoyed our day and kicked back and watched both parades, both firework shows (Holiday Wishes and a midnight “preview” of the New Years Eve show – awesome) and the several Castle Forecourt Shows. We had dinner at Tony’s, also a first. We even took time to ride the train around the whole park. It was a great day and a fantastic way to end our trip.

Dinning reviews:
Highlights:
1.Le Cellier – We had the Candle Light Processional Package here for Christmas Day. It was the best meal I have ever had anywhere. We had the Duck Confit as appetizers. I had the Mushroom Fillet Mignon and it was fantastic. I have always looked at it on the menu and stopped when I see 7 ounces. From there I head right to the 14 oz. New York Strip but on a recommendation of a friend I tried the filet this time. Wow! To have lived 47 years and never tried this cut of beef; such a tragic waste! DW had the New Your Strip (good) and Daughter had Prime Rib (excellent).
2.California Grill. This was a first time experience and although, as a country boy I was a bit shocked initially when looking over the menu, this was worth the price. I also was not intimidated by the extensive wine list as I know how to read all that fancy French stuff; here’s the trick – DON’T try! Just have an iced tea. The view from up top of the Contemporary was worth a visit. They just have you use your receipt to come back up top to view the fireworks if you wish to do so. Very nice.
We all had great food. I had the Grilled Pork Tenderloin. Wife had the filet mignon and daughter had Butter Squash Ravioli. All just great. My wife kept going on about the presentation, she being a food channel devote thinks this is important. I on the other hand don’t give a rip about how something is “plated”. I find great culinary delight in a KFC or Taco Bell “bowl” so appearances are not an issue. I will admit that the desert we ordered, a Yule Log, that actually looked like a log or branch from a tree was very cool.

3. Kona Café. We had lunch here. Although I miss the “Salmon” BLT the Polynesian Plate Lunches are still great. I had the Mahi Mahi, daughter had the Chicken with Peanut sauce and both were really good. My wife branched out, much to her disappointment and had the Asian Noodle Bowl - Not so good. Pressed pot coffee was good as well. This place is still a gem in our opinion, especially for lunch or breakfast.

Disappointments:
1.Tangerine Café – no more Mediterranean Wraps. The Lamb plate was good though.
2.Raglan Road – nothing special. Call it what you will but it’s really a Tyson Chicken Pot Pie. Sometimes you can get them 3 for 5 dollars in the freezer section of your local grocery store. The “chips” were very good.
3.Fulton’s Crab House. This used to be a favorite and although the food was good it was not as “special” as it has been. We had Dungenes Crab Cakes (excellent) Snow Crab Legs (good) and Grilled Shrimp (just ok).
4.Boardwalk To Go Kiosk. This also used to be a favorite for fine dinning. This time, I watched as the corndog was pulled from a plastic Gordon’s Food service type bag and put in a microwave. I get the same thing from Super WalMart – “State Fair Corn Dogs”. The onion rings were excellent and worth another trip.
5.Tony’s – nothing special about the food but the Lady and the Tramp décor was cool.

You couldn’t get us to try this place again unless you’re a whole lot tougher than me or you have a gun:
1.Yakatori House – Newsflash. This simple guy does not like sushi. Just because its foreign doesn’t make weeds and raw fish good to eat. I could serve the same junk caught from the river in my back yard. Put some fancy sounding hot green stuff with it and it’s still yucky! “Hey look! The Emperor isn’t wearing any clothes!” No thanks. I’ll have a Burger and a Coke please.

Additional Food Thoughts:
1.We tried the “Dole Whips” for the first time after the many rave reviews on Intercot. Hannah loved them. My wife and I thought they were ok but not our favorite snack.
2.I still miss Beaver Tails from Canada. Since when is popcorn a Canadian cultural/culinary experience. Did I miss something? Did a Canadian invent popcorn eh? How about Salmon on a stick or something unique at least. Now that hard maple candy they sell inside in the store – there’s a treat!
3.I never got my French Toast Loaf from the Main Street Bakery. Both times I tried the line was outrageous and later in the day they don’t carry it. Too bad. This should be an all day item.
4.Sleepy Hallow is still a great place to get a snack from. Elephant Ears – a must for those who enjoy fine desserts on a paper plate.
5.Spoodles Carry out Pizza window is pretty good and makes for a good meal back in the room with a bag of chips.

Final Thoughts:Disney does an amazing presentation of Christmas. The Parades, the extra shows, the fireworks, the Osborne Lights, the Candlelight Processional, the background music, the landscaping and decorations - all incredible. Christmas in WDW is a special time in a special place. My family loves it.

TBY2225
01-09-2008, 10:00 AM
It is nice to know that you had a great trip during the busiest time of year! I esp like the dining reports!

GusNJacque
01-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks for letting me live through you! I went for Halloween this year and really missed not being there over the holidays.

I never got my French Toast Loaf from the Main Street Bakery. What's this? I have not had this before in all my trips. There is NOTHING better than to be coming down Main Street first thing in the morning and smell the WONDERDFUL smells coming out of that bakery.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. :D

goofysbabe
01-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the report. We have decided to go this Christmas 29,30,31 and this report has made me feel better, I know now we will be able to ride those rides we want to and see all the cool things!

disneymother
01-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Sounds like a fun trip, good to know you can do alot even with all the crowds. I agree with you about Fulton's- we were slightly disappointed the last time we went too!

ibrowse17
01-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Great report!! Glad you had such a wonderful holiday experience at WDW. I agree with your idea about the Land and FP's. :thumbsup:

Jeff
01-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I never got my French Toast Loaf from the Main Street Bakery. What's this? I have not had this before in all my trips. There is NOTHING better than to be coming down Main Street first thing in the morning and smell the WONDERDFUL smells coming out of that bakery.

It's great. It's kind of a Cinnamon toast/French Toast/ Cinnamon roll type thing. Dipped in syrup it is fantastic. That's not a good description but take my word for it - it's worth a try.:thumbsup:

pdrlkr
01-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

RedheadWriter
01-10-2008, 12:42 PM
:mickey: Great repor! Thanks!

Bethis26fan
01-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

jillluvsdisney
01-10-2008, 05:47 PM
I have to applaud your stamina on staying in the park all night and then heading to the airport. I could never do it but it sounds really fun.:number1:

conorsmom2000
01-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the report, Jeff!! :mickey: The 30th sounds like it was awesome - what a great way to end the trip!!! :thumbsup: I'm really surprised about that family at the Candlelight processional - what did they think it would be?? :confused:

Anyway, sounds like an awesome trip!!

Christine
01-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Great report Jeff!

I wish I'd known you were gonna be there...I was there too, and Emily was with us! We did the 4am EMH at MK too on the 30th as well...SOOOOO worth it! Wasn't it neat to be among the last to exit MK? Main Street in all it's lights and NO people was just something in itself to behold!

Glad you had such a wonderful holiday and I hope you get that french toast thing next time!

(BTW, I lived in Lansing, MI when I was little and have TONS of relatives still there, in Plainwell, Delton/Wall Lake area, and Battle Creek!)

vizsla
01-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the report.

Jeff
01-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Great report Jeff!

I wish I'd known you were gonna be there...I was there too, and Emily was with us! We did the 4am EMH at MK too on the 30th as well...SOOOOO worth it! Wasn't it neat to be among the last to exit MK? Main Street in all it's lights and NO people was just something in itself to behold!

Too bad we didn't arrange to meet. That EMH night was great. We were probably leaving the park at the same time too as we didn't leave till about 4:05 or so. It was a great experience and you are right about Main Street that late - it was surreal.

I live about 45 miles directly north of Lansing.

MauiMouse
01-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Jeff,
Sounds like you and the family had a very enjoyable trip down to Disney.

So the corn dogs have gone down hill? I know how much you love a good corn dog at Disney. That's too bad.

Wow, how cool to be in Magic Kingdom until 4am. :cool:

KylesMom
01-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Great report, Jeff. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip! :mickey:

DizNee143
01-11-2008, 01:10 PM
sounds like a great trip..thanx for sharing!! :mickey:

BelleCiavo
01-12-2008, 01:12 AM
:notworth: Wow, I bow to your commando schedule on the 30th. :notworth: Yours is the most upbeat Christmas week trip report I have ever read. Thanks for sharing it.

faline
01-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Magic Kingdom until 4 in the morning? Now there's a terrific way to end a Disney vacation!

Sounds like fun was had by everyone in your family!

dolphinmickey9170
01-12-2008, 03:39 PM
We got to "close the park" for the first time in December. There is just something special about being in the MK, walking along Main Street and there is next to no one around. Walking through Adventureland was kind of creepy as it was quite dark. But it was awesome. But 4am:eek::jaw:I would have one heck of a migraine after all that.

Do you have any pictures to share with us? We are so glad you had such a great time. When is the next one?

Thanks for sharing!!:mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
01-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Jeff, you had me laughing through that whole wonderful report! I am so glad that you three had such a wonderful trip together. Very cool that Donalynn made it into the Monsters show. They picked a smart mind to read.:thumbsup: I loved your dining reviews, especially the bit on the sushi. Maybe you should open a little River Sushi Cafe at home. I can not tell you how much I admire your stamina for your long, long day at the Magic Kingdom. What a way to end you fantastic trip. Thank you for sharing it with us. :mickey: