PDA

View Full Version : Jags/Pats

JerseyMouse
01-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Everyone is talking how the Jags may be the team to upset New England. I don't think the Jags have enough firepower to keep up with the Pats, but I'll go this far..the important number, to me, is 175. If the Jags can run for that much yardage, they can make things very interesting. Anything below that number, in my opinion, speaks of a Pats romp.

What will be interesting to watch will be the following week, because the Jags are probably the most physical team in the league, definitely not your ordinary Florida team heading north for a big game.

At the very least, the Jags may do either Indy or SD a very huge favor in the form of some battered Pats.

I'd love to see the Jags win, they're my favorite AFC team, but the thought of a colossal showdown between Pats/Colts the following week would be pretty sweet as well.

Ian
01-08-2008, 11:07 AM
I am not, by any means, picking the Jags to win. I do think, however, that they're the Pats' nightmare first round matchup.

Why? Because they have a very solid defense and a very good running game.

The reason the Pats have been so successful for most of the season has been their ability to jump out to a big lead early and then just let their defense pin their ears back and rush the passer.

The Patriots' defense (especially their run defense) is a little suspect and if the Jags can come out and establish the run early, control the clock, slow down the tempo of the game, and maybe get a few stops against the Patriots' offense, I think they have a better than even chance to win the game.

But you just can't bet against a team that went 16-0. Until someone beats them, the Patriots are unbeatable in my eyes.

Juniorunc2001
01-08-2008, 11:55 AM
It doesnt matter if Jacksonville, or the Cheatriots win - they will lose to the defending World Champs in the next round! It is wierd the defending champs are getting no respect! That is good, we like it that way.

I think Jax will give the Pats all they can handle. They can run the ball, and NE can't stop the run. Jax has young corners that are athletic and can make great plays, but also let up big ones. If Jax keeps the score in the 20's, they will have a chance. if it gets in teh 30's or 40's.

No one realizes NE can't run the ball, or defend teh run. Not to good in bad weather.

kakn7294
01-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I really don't think the Jags are strong enough to beat the Pats. I don't think their offense is going to be able to outscore the Pats and I don't think their defense is going to be able to shut down Tom Brady and company. I'm predicting a Colts - Pats rematch in the AFC Championship round (with a Colts victory).

JerseyMouse
01-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Regarding the lack of respect being shown the Colts...it's not too often a team goes 16-0 during the regular season, for that the Pats deserve all the accolades they get.

That said, should it come down to NE/Indy, you had best believe I'll be pulling hard for the Colts.

If only the Jags had a little more firepower at the WR position, I think they could hang with the Pats.

If Garrard plays like he did Saturday night, it could get real ugly real fast.

dolphinmickey9170
01-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Everyone has very valid points, however, we'll see at the end of the game who the winner is. GO PATS!!

The last post I got into over the Pats got me some hurt feelings, so I am just keeping this one neutral (well, so to speak) I did give my desire for a winner, but not saying anything else. Love ya Kathy!

kakn7294
01-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Love ya Kathy!I know! Love you too! :thumbsup: At least you and I are much more civil in our rivalry than Phil and I are in our love for the same team!

Ian
01-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Sort of an interesting stat ... over the first half of the season, the Pats outscored their opponents by an average of 25.5 points per game.

Suddenly, after the Colts game (which was, coincidentally, the start of the 2nd half of the season for the Pats) that average dropped to only 13.875 points per game. That's a huge drop-off, huh?

Does it mean anything? Eh ... probably not. I tend to think it has more to do with the Pats getting bored and not playing up to their potential than it does with anyone "figuring them out."

But you can't say for sure ... all I know is that they played some pretty close games during the 2nd half of the season. I also know that Jacksonville is a pretty underrated team.

Will the Pats be able to all of a sudden turn it on when the games mean something again? Should be interesting ...

Mufasa
01-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Sort of an interesting stat ... over the first half of the season, the Pats outscored their opponents by an average of 25.5 points per game.

Suddenly, after the Colts game (which was, coincidentally, the start of the 2nd half of the season for the Pats) that average dropped to only 13.875 points per game. That's a huge drop-off, huh?

Actually I think a lot of that is probably due to the defensive re-arrangement as a result of the injury to Roosevelt Colvin in the game against the Eagles.

The Patriots defense was very effective in the early part of the season placing Adalius Thomas at ILB and moving Vrabel to OLB opposite Colvin (as a result Vrabel has had his best season of his career and a trip to the pro bowl). But with Colvin out they started Seau and Bruschi on the inside and that's been the exploitable weakness for their D and not Ellis Hobbs in their secondary (though he is at a significant size disadvantage against a lot of receivers and teams like to try and line up against him since the Pats don't switch up their alignments on defense).

RedSoxFan
01-09-2008, 10:50 AM
GO PATRIOTS!!:football:

Ian
01-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Actually I think a lot of that is probably due to the defensive re-arrangement as a result of the injury to Roosevelt Colvin in the game against the Eagles.Actually that's a very good point .... I forgot he went down in that game.

That certainly was a contributing factor.

SBETigg
01-09-2008, 12:14 PM

Yep. :)

WDWaddict
01-09-2008, 08:47 PM
GO JAGS!!!!:cheer::football::number1:

Ian
01-10-2008, 08:47 AM
GO JAGS!!!!:cheer::football::number1:Yep. :)

#1donaldfan
01-10-2008, 12:21 PM
IF, you can control the offensive line and rush and hurry Brady, you will have a GREAT chance of winning.....they only have the GREAT Line...Brady is a good QB but without his line, he would NOT have the numbers he's currently "sporting"......I'm not trying to take anything away from him, he is very good but his line is without a doubt the best EVER....Terry Bradshaw would still have his teeth if he had that line....!!! I am still a little sore that your Jags "put it to us", but I will sit on your sideline and hope you do the same to the Pats.....good luck to you.......and until next year, I'll root with you.... !!!!! :thumbsup:

GothMickey
01-10-2008, 12:45 PM
I am rooting for the Jags, but, I fully expect the Patriots to win.

RedheadWriter
01-11-2008, 03:53 PM

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!! :number1::thumbsup:

RedheadWriter
01-12-2008, 11:19 PM
:number1: I'm very proud with tonight's win! YAY!!!!!!!

JerseyMouse
01-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Tom Brady is the best I've seen at his position. I'm a little disappointed Jags couldn't pull the upset, but the effort was there. Garrard's performance would have won many a game last night. I really want the Colts to polish off SD today, next weeks' matchup will be off the charts!!