PDA

View Full Version : New to board Questions........

Blizzardjnj
01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
I am going to Disney on March 15th. My first question is "How is the weather going to be?"

The second question is that when i booked my stay there is going to be 11 of us, so they booked us under "gatherings" can someone explain how that works?

And the last question is, I booked a package deal, room, tickets and dining. How does the dining work and is it worth it?

irish1967
01-07-2008, 06:16 PM
First :welcome: Intercot is a GREAT place!

I am going to Disney on March 15th. My first question is "How is the weather going to be?"

I don't know the answer to this!

The second question is that when i booked my stay there is going to be 11 of us, so they booked us under "gatherings" can someone explain how that works?

I believe you will get literature from Disney that will describe the benefits. There are "vacation planners" that will assist you with your planning as well as special offerings (evening cruises, etc) that are available only to gatherings.

And the last question is, I booked a package deal, room, tickets and dining. How does the dining work and is it worth it?

Check the info central tab for detailed information about the dining plan. There are also a lot of threads discussing the dining plan in the dining section.

Whether it is a good value or not depends on your eating habits.

If you are going in March, you definitely want to decide where you want to eat and book ADRs (advance dining reservations) NOW! Tables open up 180 days in advance and some restaurants book up quickly.

Good luck and keep posting as you have other questions.

vamaggie
01-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Also :welcome: to Intercot

I can't speak to the weather but I would be prepared for some rather large crowds and wait times. That week is spring break for many folks (being Easter) and you may be in for some really long lines/waits.

Since you are a party of 11 you are considered a "Grand Gathering". There are certain activities you can take advantage of that only large groups like yours can. Check InfoCentral tab for Grand Gatherings and it should give you a lot of info.

Since you are a large party and on the dining plan, figure out where you want to eat and make your ADRs now. Many places may be booked already (since March is a busy time) and you will probably not be able to just walk into places with a large group (or any size group for that matter) Again, check InfoCentral for info about the dining plan, how to make ADRs and restaurant menus. Your room cards will also be your park tickets and your Dining plan cards, it's all on one card--very easy to only have to carry one card.

Good luck planning and don't hesitate to ask more questions. The folks on these boards are incredibly helpful and really helped me with my recent trip.

DDuck66
01-08-2008, 11:03 AM
As for your weather question, march can be really tricky in Florida. We went one year near the start of March and the weather was great for half the week. Sunny, warm, short weather with no jackets needed at night. Then a cold front moved in and it went from the 70's to highs in the 50's and a COLD north wind. Go prepeared for either. I would take a windbreaker and at least one pair of jeans.

Taja
01-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Weather is variable. I was at WDW the first week of March in 2007 and days were mostly comfortably warm, but two evenings were COLD! Keep in mind that I live in the low desert, so my definition of cold may be different than yours. But when I have to wear a sweatshirt under my reversible fleece/water repellent coat to stay warm, it's COLD! *LOL*

BigRedDad
01-08-2008, 11:25 AM

The way it has been the last several years, it will probably be in the low 80s during the day and mid to upper 50s at night. However, there are some dramatic shifts if a front comes through, but it only lasts a day or two.

There is a lot of info out there on this. They will try to get the rooms as close as possible, there are special activities only available to grand gatherings, and making ADRs with them will be easier. When I looked into doing it for our family, I found going my own route would be easier.

Dining is a bug question now. With what they took away, it is probably not worth it IMHO. You lost an appetizer and the tip.

Other things on your trip to be prepared for:
Most of FL is on Spring Break then
FL Seasonal Passes are not valid (which may help a bit)
You are in Spring Break and Easter crowds - the parks are going to be packed

Janmac
01-09-2008, 11:56 AM
For grand gatherings, it's a label, mostly, that can help get all your rooms closer together. It also allows you to pay extra for special treats for groups, like a fireworks cruise, which we have not taken advantage of in the past. We're usually busy taking in the sights.

Definitely, with a big group, ADR (advanced dining reservations) are helpful at table service restaurants. Will your group be eating their table service meals together? Hopefully, if you're making all the ADRs, they will be eating together, as it makes your job easier.

As close as it is to your trip, I'd recommend having a calendar for March in front of you and calling the dining number and asking the CM (cast member) where there are still table service reservations for each day you're there. Jot down the names, times, and ADR number on the calendar day.

If everyone plans on doing their own thing, then in smaller groups, they might be able to find a sit-down place to eat without an ADR.

If you have the standard dining plan, you will have one table service meal a day available to you. This can be supper or breakfast, and some of the character breakfasts are fun.

You will also, on the standard dining plan, have one counter service (hamburger, etc.) meal and a snack available. Make sure each person in your group knows that they can show their room card and get a lunch or for a snack a drink or popcorn or ice cream, every day.

It seems that folks usually wind up with extra counter service meals; we are expecting on our upcoming trip that our teenage grandson will be using those for his snacks. A Mickey head ice cream bar wouldn't begin to fill him up, between meals.

If you can be sure to use all your snacks, counter service meals and sit down meals, you will probably save money on the dining plan. If like me, you're in charge of all the meals, planning and paying, for your group, then the dining plan is very helpful.

Jan