PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Palo Advice

tarzan_rocks
01-07-2008, 02:33 PM
I have been reading everyone’s questions, deliberations and responses regarding Palo over the past several months. You all have such good things to say about it. However, I still can’t decide if it’s for me or not.

My first inclination was to not consider it at all because of the additional cost. I mean, I’m paying so much already for the cruise, why would I choose to pay extra for something already offered for free? Then I read all the raving reviews and people saying that it’s a must-do on the DCL.

Okay, I’m seeing a pattern. Yes, it’s only $10 per person more plus tip. That’s not outrageous; especially considering I have an on-board credit that I don’t otherwise have plans for. So I started looking a little deeper into it.

I should say that the Animator’s Palate, Triton’s and Parrot Cay rotational dining restaurants look spectacular. Looking at the pictures, descriptions and sample menus on the DCL website, I can tell I will love these restaurants. I’m a big fan of Disney restaurant theming and the menus all have things that appeal to me.

That said, I do not wish to miss any of the rotational dining experiences. That got me looking into the possibility of brunch. I can’t seem to find a sample brunch menu. Do they have a traditional brunch menu with made-to-order omelets, etc?

You see, the dinner menu is intimidating to me. I don’t eat seafood. I’m not a fan of gourmet and I don’t drink wine. I feel like Palo dinner is perfectly wonderful but perhaps I’m not the target demographic. My thinking is if brunch is a little more traditional then maybe it would be a way for me to experience the unique Palo service and spectacular views with a menu I could enjoy.

To put it in perspective, our fanciest dining happens during our two to five trips to WDW each year. Our favorites are ‘Ohana, Chef Mickey’s, Whispering Canyon, Tony’s Town Square, Nine Dragons and Trail’s End. Other than that the fanciest we get is an Outback Steakhouse or Olive Garden once a year or so for a special occasion.

Any and all advice is welcome. Remember, I’m not asking if Palo is wonderful or not. Clearly it is. So based on what you know about Palo and what I described about myself, would you recommend Palo for me? If so, how/when might you recommend I do it? One other thing. Those of you who have followed my posts over the last several months know that being away from the kids is not really all that desirable for us. We would rather spend our vacation time with them than away from them. This could easily be our only Disney Cruise and I’d hate to miss out on Palo if it is everything it’s cracked up to be. So we’d be willing to let Nana and Papa take the kids to brunch at Beach Blanket one day while we go to Palo. We’re thinking the day we are docked at Nassau would be the best day for us since we won’t be getting off the ship and since other people will, it might be easier to get a reservation.

Other perhaps relevant information: This will be our first Disney Cruise. We are sailing the four-day cruise on the Wonder in June. It will be me, my wife, my daughter (5) and son (2). We’ll also be traveling with my parents and my brother’s family of four.

Thanks for taking the time.

tr

Turk82
01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey! I'm probably not qualified to answer your question as I haven't yet been on a Disney cruise, but found some info that might be helpful on the DCL website:

"Brunch (4- and 7-night cruises only)
Delight in a gourmet brunch on the high seas with this spectacular meal that includes a complimentary glass of champagne. Part buffet, part made to order, and all delicious.
Meals served: Days at sea only
Price: $10 dining option charge per person"

I also thought that I had read that the fee included the tip, but now I cannot seem to find where I read that. I had been confused on that point, too, because I had been reading ppl on this site saying that it did not include the tip. Hmmm, another ? for my travel agent! (She must love me):blush:

TammiMcMan
01-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Based on your posts, I would suggest that you look into the brunch. It is served on the sea day, so you're only spending about 2 hours away from the kids. Considering that's also the last day, you might all be okay with a 2 hour break :secret:.

In regards to what's offered, they have food as simple as pizza (excellent by the way), right up to gourmet items.

Just to clarify the tipping, the $10 charge per person is for eating out of rotation. The servers in Palo do not get any of the suggested gratuities that you pay at the end of the cruise. That $10 is shared between all the service staff at Palo and it's my understanding that your server gets about $3 from that amount. No one should feel obligated to tip more, but personally, I do tip additionally when we dine there.

DisneyDudet
01-07-2008, 06:04 PM
We did the brunch and dinner both on our last cruise.

I enjoyed the dinner much more than the brunch, as it really didn't have much I wanted.

The dinner is very nice, and there's steak (the best steak on the ship!), plus there's so many GOOD food items. The best part... the chocolate souffle! You can't find anything that amazing anywhere! It isn't available during the brunch either, so its the only time! The brunch had eggs and omelette's and such, plus a really nice dessert buffet (most of the brunch is buffet with seafood as well).

Now, it is usually easier to get into a dinner, as they offer more of them. We aren't fancy people, and we aren't into the weird things they offer a lot of on the entire cruise, even though we try them, since we've paid for it already! That said, Palo's was probably one of the best meals we've ever had. I don't eat seafood at all, in fact, I don't think any of us 5 had seafood at this restaurant.

In my opinion, the dinner is better than the brunch. How may days are you going to cruise? If you are going on a 4day or longer, you won't miss anything if you book Palo's for your 4th night and later meal. After the 3rd night, the menus are the same for the entire ship. On our 7 day, we did it during the Captain's Gala night. We didn't want to miss Pirate night, but the menu for that isn't a big deal, we found out.

Ultimately, its up to you. You can always see if there's an opening for the brunch or dinner during the night you want once you get in on the ship. For best chances, get to the port as early as possible, and head to where they are taking Palo's ressies (it will be on a paper they give you when you check in). Or if you want to, go ahead and book on you 75 days out on the DCL website, and change once you get there. They do not charge you until you actually eat there.

Altogether, you can't go wrong with either one, but the Dinner, for me (us) was best.

stitchcousin
01-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi! I've only had dinner at Palo, but have heard rave reviews about the brunch. That said, for dinner, the pizza (more than two kinds) were to die for! And I can honestly say that it was well worth it. In fact, we're due to sail for Spring Break and I have already reserved dinner there:thumbsup:. The dining rotation and the food at the other restaurants are very good too, but you definately have to try Palo. I'm quite sure that there are lots of choices to pick from for the brunch and you won't be dissappointed!

TammiMcMan
01-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi! I've only had dinner at Palo, but have heard rave reviews about the brunch. That said, for dinner, the pizza (more than two kinds) were to die for!They have the pizza at brunch as well. I'm pretty sure there's even a fruit pizza.

tarzan_rocks
01-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

Based on your posts, I would suggest that you look into the brunch. It is served on the sea day, so you're only spending about 2 hours away from the kids.

This comment is intriguing to me. What do you mean by "served on the sea day"? Is it not served everyday? Will it not be served on the day we are at Nassau? I guess the part that's confusing is I don't know what constitutes a sea day. According to our itinerary, we will be at Port Canaveral (Sunday), Castaway Cay (Monday), Nassau (Tuesday), Castaway Cay (Wednesday), and Port Canaveral (Thursday). Does that mean we don't have a sea day? Does that mean we won't have a brunch option?

tr

TheDuckRocks
01-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Wow, has there been an itinerary change lately?:confused:
We are going on the 4 day Wonder cruise on Jan. 20 (onluy 12 more days :donald:) and the itinerary I've seen says:
Port Canaveral
Nassau
Castaway Cay
Day at Sea
Port Canaveral

TammiMcMan
01-08-2008, 10:26 AM
[FONT="Verdana"]This comment is intriguing to me. What do you mean by "served on the sea day"? Is it not served everyday? Will it not be served on the day we are at Nassau? I guess the part that's confusing is I don't know what constitutes a sea day. According to our itinerary, we will be at Port Canaveral (Sunday), Castaway Cay (Monday), Nassau (Tuesday), Castaway Cay (Wednesday), and Port Canaveral (Thursday). Does that mean we don't have a sea day? Does that mean we won't have a brunch option?Dinner in Palo is served every night, however the brunch is only served on the day you are at sea. I've never seen a 4 night cruise that double dips at Castaway Cay, but maybe that is something special. When the online reservation system opens up to you, the brunch date and time will be listed. Normally the day at sea is on Wednesday, so they may keep that as the brunch day. I don't know.

tarzan_rocks
01-08-2008, 10:28 AM
My understanding is that sailings 5/11/2008 - 8/28/2008 have the Port Canaveral-Castaway Cay-Nassau-Castaway Cay-Port Canaveral itineraries.

Anyone know what that means for Palo brunch?

tr

TammiMcMan
01-08-2008, 10:35 AM
There's a 1-800 number on the Disney cruise website. Whenever I've called, they've been extremely helpful. If they're not able to get you an answer, I can try finding out more information this afternoon. Unfortunately, I'm on my way to work right now, but I can follow up later.

Let me know if you get any answers from them.

tarzan_rocks
01-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I posed the question to the 800 number, (800) 951-3532 by the way. You were right Tammi. She was very helpful and personable even though she couldn’t exactly answer my question.

First she told me that brunch was only available during days at sea as you all said. When I asked about sailings that do not have a day at sea she said, “You got me on that one”. Within seconds she found a note that said, “The schedule for the champagne brunch at Palo for sailings that stop at Castaway Cay twice is currently being determined.” Then she quipped, “Is there anything else I could not help you with?”

I’ll just have to check back later or look to see what is available when they open up online reservations. I’ll try to remember to post the answer when I find out.

Thanks!

tr

TammiMcMan
01-08-2008, 05:19 PM
tr, the only additional information that I could find out, is from a Palo dining manager. Right now, they are reporting that there will still be a brunch and tea on the double dip Castaway Cay cruises, but they are still unsure about which day they'll be offered.

I'll post as well if I find out anything new.

Joy2theworld
01-08-2008, 08:03 PM
We absolutely loved Palo's and it was one of our best dining experiences ever. We aren't wine drinkers and although my husband is a foodie and will try almost anything. I'm pickier and like classics. That being said, the steak at Palo's was fantastic as were all the other items we had. We chose to eat there the night of Parrot Cay (is that the name?), but we were on a seven night cruise. However, when it came down to it, we would have eaten at Palo's every night if possible. We also enjoyed brunch there and it was delicious as well. Service was fantastic, not pushy at all... just very friendly.