PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Friendly Restaurants

BigRedDad
01-07-2008, 07:47 AM
I know most restaurants are toddler and kid friendly at WDW. I am just a little concerned with our DD2. She can sit for about 20-30 minutes as long as there is food there and things to do at the table. She will have to be able to mosey around the table or walked to see something at the restaurant. Most of our reservations have something going on long enough to keep her entertained.

Has anyone else been concerned with how a toddler will act at a restaurant?

Our ADRs:
Liberty Tree Tavern for Dinner
Rain Forest Cafe for Lunch
Tusker House for Breakfast
Garden Grill for Dinner

stephntampa
01-07-2008, 08:16 AM
My DH always feels a little uncomfortable about our 3 yo and how he will behave in a restaraunt. We found on our last visit that buffett's worked great, since mom/dad stays at the table while the other gets food, and he could get up and walk to the buffett line with us, too. We also scheduled our meals at the 5:00 time frame, before the real crowds hit. And with a buffett, you are in control of how long you stay.Take heart that your kid is not the only one in the restaraunt that wants to wander, acting up, etc.;)

mulderxcoltrane
01-07-2008, 08:21 AM
We took our son for his 2nd birthday and every character meal he was great - the other meals he did get restless.

Garden Grill was amazing - Chip spent the time with him to cut his food, put the bib around my son's neck and even try to feed him food he wasn't eating.

Chef Mickey's was also great!

mudpuppysmom
01-07-2008, 09:26 AM
We started out slowly with our DS (at Disney that is). We would do one or two sit downs each trip.....then we took the plunge and we all went to Jiko one evening after being at AK. I was pretty surprised when he fell asleep on my lap before his meal came.....I think that might be the trick -- tire them out and they will just pass out! No, just kidding.....I think if you introduce kids to things slowly they behave better when they know they have got to be quiet......at least that is our experience.

TBY2225
01-07-2008, 10:03 AM
We took our DS2 and DD5 in September. DS loved 50's Prime Time, Whispering Canyon, Ohana's, Princess Storybook breakfast, Chef Mickeys, Coral Reef. Don't worry about your DD. Every resturant we went to, including Le Cellier we found to be loud and kid friendly. DD will fit right in.

BigRedDad
01-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Thank you for all of the feedback. I know that most restaurants are kid friendly. I also no kin inappropriate restaurants as well. This is why we chose mostly character meals. She loves animals so much I figured the Rainforest Cafe at AK would be perfect for her. Plus our ADR is for early lunch so it shouldn't be too hectic there.

Goes4FastPass
01-07-2008, 12:14 PM
ALL WDW restaurants are toddler friendly and toddler frequented - and those toddlers are usually better behaved than those dreaded 'Tweens' and their older siblings.

biodtl
01-07-2008, 02:07 PM
My daughter was 2 on our last trip and she didn't have any problems in the restaurants. I don't think it is that she is particularly calm, but that the restaurants in WDW are so active and colorful and filled with great CMs who are good with kids.

If you are concerned, try places that have characters, because the interaction will keep her busy, shows for the same reason, and places like Casey's (counter service) and Sci-Fi (table service) because they play cartoons and movie trailers (old "horror" ones, but they are cheesy rather than scary and my DD wasn't afraid), so there's something to watch.

And there's always WCC at WL, which encourages you to be active!

vamaggie
01-07-2008, 02:16 PM
As long as you stay away from the Sig Dining places and go early enough (before the "I MUST EAT NOWs hit!) you should be fine. We really enjoyed WCC, Chef Mickey's, LTT and H&V with our kids. We also bring some stuff to play with at the tables in case (crayons, magnadoodles etc) Most WDW places are used to a lot of little kids so you should be fine. ENJOY!

wire0monkey
01-07-2008, 02:51 PM
I take my kids to all sorts of restaurants at WDW, including signature restaurants. If the kids are restless at the table, we usually get up and walk around in the lobby or whatever, until the food arrives. We also take the kids out of the restaurant once they're done eating. Fortunately, at WDW, there's always tons of stuff for the kids to look at while we're waiting for the other family members to finish up.

Tigger&Stitch
01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
We don't have kids, but we stayed at the WL in 2006 - and every time we passed by the Whispering Canyon, it looked like it was a playground! Kids can build log houses, and the waitresses all seem to be very friendly.

KAT1811
01-07-2008, 03:25 PM
We found on our last visit that buffett's worked great,

Agreed. Buffets work best, our DD was almost 3 on our last trip. There were so many of us we could always find someone willing to go back up for something and take her with them. Most of the time she was so overwhelmed by WDW that she was good. She was fine in CG and she is quite a handful. Middle child syndrome I've been told!!! LOL!!!

Le Cellier we found to be loud and kid friendly.

Funny you say that. Our server in Le Cellier was the least kid friendly server we found on our entire trip. I was very disappointed with his attitude and service towards the children. Our server at CG was much more attentive and understanding about the children. He even brought our DDs some crackers to pick on and a demi-tasse spoon for me to feed the baby with without me asking.

I wouldn't be afraid of taking your DD anywhere in Disney. Most of the servers understand that WDW can be overstimulating for children and some can be just plain irritable after a long day.

One night my 2 youndest DDs were so tired dinner was going to be awful for everyone if we stayed so I asked the waiter to wrap my dinner and I left with them while everyone else stayed. Our waiter was great, he even wrapped me dessert to take! Fear not in WDW!

dteed
01-07-2008, 05:34 PM
I would not be concerned, my kids felt the need to take a lap every once in awhile. Especially at WDW there should be no problems, I think its expected.