PDA

View Full Version : Cruise ?'s

PAMOUSELOVER
01-06-2008, 09:57 PM
I see snorkeling gear is available to rent, does it cost besides the gear to snorkel at Castaway Cay? Is it easy to do? I had a hard time at TL a couple of years ago. :secret:
Also, is the Mickey pool/slide only for children under 10?

JerseyDad
01-07-2008, 10:50 AM
.....when I was there in November...snorkeling gear rental (fins, mask / snorkel, buoyancy vest) was $25/Adult and $10/ Child (5 yrs up to age 9 yrs) for the entire day. There's no fee to snorkel....and a specific area is set aside from the "general frolicking area" so that you won't get bumped into or have the fish disturbed.

Easy to do? Well....I'm 46...don't swim like a fish...never snorkeled before in my life...and I didn't drown!! :funny: So I'd have to say yes.....or at least I thought so! A tip...from a novice: Make sure you get fins that fit snuggly...and if you're not comfortable with them after trying for a while.....go without them. (they DO...however make a little difference in your ability to propel yourself)

My 11 yr old daughter...an aspiring Marine Biologist....was in her glory! The fish are incredible...as well as the underwater "treasure" you'll see.....and...I had a great time being with her and seeing the excitement in her eyes (especially when a friend of ours opened up a baggie of Cheerios under the water...and a SWARM of fish went into a feeding frenzy!!....his daughter...however..was not quite as amused!!:scared:

Regarding the Mickey Pool slide: The slide is for ages 4 to 14: maximum height 64" - minimum height 38".

Turk82
01-07-2008, 02:18 PM
So, even if you're not 64" or taller, you still have to be under 14 to ride the Mickey slide?? That is so sad! I was really hoping to ride!

JerseyDad
01-07-2008, 02:27 PM
So, even if you're not 64" or taller, you still have to be under 14 to ride the Mickey slide?? That is so sad! I was really hoping to ride!

....it does look like a lot of fun...and even though the slide looks like a blast...I was VERY content to sit in the hot tub at the adult pool....enjoy my Boddington's....and not have to deal with the crowd at the Mickey pool!! :beer:

(secretly happy...and sad...that my youngest daughter is 11 yrs old...and wanted nothing to do with the Mickey pool):secret:

TammiMcMan
01-07-2008, 06:09 PM
One suggestion if you do decide to go snorkeling, is to try and get over there early. If you wait until later in the day, the bottom starts getting stirred up and you have to go out further to see any fish. If you're not very comfortable with snorkeling already, this can cause some added stress.

PAMOUSELOVER
01-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks everyone,
Would it be ok to just get two adults and share them with DS and DD?

TammiMcMan
01-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone,
Would it be ok to just get two adults and share them with DS and DD?I'm not sure how DCL would feel about you turning in adult size gear for kids sized. If your kids are young enough, or you're unsure if they'll even like it, you can purchase an inexpensive snorkel mask and even flippers if you want. The only equipment that DCL requires you to wear, is their inflatable vests and those are still free of charge (I think). I know a lot of people that have brought their own snorkel gear and saved the cost of the rental.

PAMOUSELOVER
01-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Tam, DS is 14 and DD is 11. I just thought we could share. Or do they go by shoe size?

I'm not sure how DCL would feel about you turning in adult size gear for kids sized. If your kids are young enough, or you're unsure if they'll even like it, you can purchase an inexpensive snorkel mask and even flippers if you want. The only equipment that DCL requires you to wear, is their inflatable vests and those are still free of charge (I think). I know a lot of people that have brought their own snorkel gear and saved the cost of the rental.