PDA

View Full Version : Kold in the Kingdom part 3

MartyS
01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
a whole nuther story in itself.

DD’s car is only two years old, and the tires don’t look all that bad, so off we go down I 4 to hit the Florida Turnpike. We get up above 65 and the steering shimmies a little. We’ll stop somewhere and get it checked out, maybe rotate the tires. Stopping in Gainesville, a tire shop guy looked at it and said rotating wouldn’t help. We will just go a little slower. Just as it was getting good and dark, about ten miles from Tallahassee, the right front tire starts falling apart. It’s not flat, and it’s a real dangerous and dark place to change a tire, so we limp to the next exit a few miles away. We pulled into a gas station and started changing the tire. We are not in a good area. People around us are watching us, a few of them coming around to talk to us, not really offering help. I get a feeling like a shipwreck survivor clinging to a piece of wreckage and sharks circling, bumping into him to see if he’d make a good meal. I got that little dinky doughnut spare tire on the car and we were out of there. A few miles down the road, there is a big wreck on our side of the highway, involving 4 or 5 cars. The cars are in the ditches on both sides of the highway, emergency vehicles all over the place. If we hadn’t had to change the tire, we might have been involved. Sometimes, annoying delays are blessings. We definitely have angels watching over us. In Tallahassee, we look for a WalMart to get a tire, since all the other tire stores will be closed by now. By the time we find it, it is 7:30 pm and the tire center closed at 7. Getting a tire is now not an option. The nearest city west is Pensacola, about 200 miles and 3 hours away. I know you are not supposed to go faster than 45 or go more than 50 miles on a temporary spare, and I don’t want to offend anybody, I hope I am wrong, but I had such a bad feeling about that city that I was willing to take a chance on getting stuck in the middle of nowhere than stay there. On to Pensacola. With both hands on the wheel, I was praying non stop for the next 3 hours. God says that if we lack wisdom, we can just ask Him and he’ll gladly give it to us, no problem, so I asked. We made it to Pensacola, thank you, Father, pulled into a gas station to fill up and keep heading west. I was determined to get home by morning. I asked the attendant how far Mobile was, that we were traveling on a spare and she gave me a blank stare like I was nuts. A man coming up to the counter to pay for something chimed in: “you don’t want to break down in Mobile in broad daylight, much less the middle of the night, Mobile’s an awful rough town, you could wind up dead”. I looked out the window and there was a Holiday Inn Express and a Ruby Tuesday’s across the street, it’s 11 pm, maybe we’ll stay here for the night and get a new tire in the morning… wisdom. We feel a lot better about being in Pensacola. Nice people. Saturday morning we get up and look for a tire place. Found a Firestone on Davis Hwy, I think. They tell me that the other tires are just as bad as the messed up one. They have one tire in stock, but can have three more in about an hour, we hate to spend a lot of $$ on the road, but if we get the one tire and then have a blowout on those rough Louisiana roads, we are back in the same situation again. We get new rubber on all four corners. Wisdom. We left about 1:00 on I 10 west toward Mobile. Goodbye Pensacola, thanks for the hospitality and the safe harbor, God bless y’all. Fairly un -eventful rest of the way home, glad we came this way, south Louisiana’s great, I especially liked the bridge over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge – spectacular. We headed north on I 49 out of Lafayette and then hung a left at Shreveport, and then there it was. That sign. Welcome to Texas Sweet Mother Texas. I know we have 3 more hours to go before we get to the house, but we’re home. DD really wants to go back and do the CP again, so she probably will. She’s a seasonal CM now, but she’s got the bug. She still wants to try out for a character next time. Will I drive out there with her again, I mean, she’s in her 20’s? Yep, Daddies don’t just love their children every now and then, it’s a love without end, Amen.

SBETigg
01-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Wow, you made some good decisions out there. To think a bad tire could have actually saved you some worse trouble. What an adventure. Glad you got back safely. :mickey:

BronxTigger
01-06-2008, 10:50 PM
I loved this report. Thank you for it. :angel:

realtreebar
01-07-2008, 12:02 AM
super report thanks for sharing "gotta love:mickey: "

tinkerbell04
01-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Wow, thank goodness that you were driving with her. Glad that you made it back home safe and sound.:mickey:

pdrlkr
01-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

BigRedDad
01-08-2008, 11:09 AM
My DD just turned 2 last week. 20 years down the road, I will probably do exactly like you did (probably then, we will have flying cars). Glad things turned out alright. You would not have had a problem stopping in Tallahassee. The areas around the exits are pretty safe. You have to get more towards the FSU campus to get in the bad parts of town.

dolphinmickey9170
01-08-2008, 04:39 PM
I was moved to tears on this one. Talk about devine intervention. Gotta love Randy for those words, because he's right, it is a love without end, AMEN!!

KylesMom
01-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Wow - nothing like superior intervention in making it home in one piece. I must say that you made some great decisions, too. There's nothing worse than being on the road and having car woes! Thanks for sharing with us. :mickey:

Hair_Razor
01-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Wow what a great story glad you guys made it safe.

RedheadWriter
01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Dads are awesome! :thumbsup:

faline
01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
That sounds like an adventure you wouldn't want to repeat any time soon!

Aren't you glad you were there with your daughter and she wasn't attempting the ride by herself?!

TXTigger
01-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Great report. We've had some trips like that too. What seems to be a curse, turns out to be a blessing. Isn't seeing that sign great! My husband is military, so we don't live in TX right now, but every time we drive home, all we have to do is see that sign and we know we are home, no matter how much further we have to go! :thumbsup:

ChipnDaleGal
01-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Sorry you had such a rough ride home. I am sure your daughter was super grateful that she was not making that drive home alone. It must have felt good to have her needing her Daddy so much and there you were. :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
01-13-2008, 11:42 AM
wow sounds like an intreasting ride home.

jszczur5
01-13-2008, 11:38 PM
a whole nuther story in itself.

Yep, Daddies don’t just love their children every now and then, it’s a love without end, Amen.
Especially our heavenly Daddy - hence the gift of Wisdom. Glad you made it back safely.