PDA

View Full Version : Student Loans Question

Tinkerbella
01-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Hello All,

I recently graduated from a private junior college that was pretty expensive. It's almost been 6 months since graduation so now I'm going to have to start paying of those loans.

In school I got loans through several different banks, government, etc. I'm wondering if anybody knows of a good bank, company, etc that I can get one consolidated loan with. It's a headache trying to figure out who I owe what to. I'd rather just pay one big lump sum a month and be done with it. Thanks in advance!

Meagan

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-06-2008, 06:58 PM
contact Sallie Mae (http://www.salliemae.com/) ... Look at the right hand side that says "After Graduation" or something to that affect... there are different options and one is loan consolidation. My mom used them for her master's loans to consolidate and I use them as well...

AuntDJ
01-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Tinkerbella,

This past year Congress instituted a ton of new laws for the Student Loan Industry. I work in this industry; therefore, I cannot give you specific lender advise.

The best advise anyone can give is to contact the lenders you currently have as well as any lenders you may know of.. to see what type of consolidation benefits they may offer.

One thing to keep in mind is there are different benefits offered for different lenders, so I would make multiple calls to determine which is best for you.

Congrats on your graduation! and best of luck in your consolidation hunt!

DJ

weswerx
01-06-2008, 11:06 PM
I would say Sallie Mae as well. That is who I am using. I am supposed to start paying my student loans back this month also. Talk about a nightmare. Just imagine, I have been going to school for a VERY LONG time, so my loan payments are a nightmare...I could have bought a small island for what I owe:ack:
Then again, if I go back to school for my doctorate, I can defer for a few years more :D
Good luck with your search :thumbsup:

Advnt05
01-07-2008, 03:11 PM
The Feds are about to drop rates again. I'm not sure if that will affect the Student Loan Consolidated rates. With all the recent rate drops, this is not a bad time to do so. All of 2008 should be good as well.