PDA

View Full Version : GF Pool v. Poly pool

KAT1811
01-06-2008, 02:07 PM
I've heard many people on here say that they prefer the volcano pool at the Poly versus the pool at the GF. When looking at the pictures of the two they do not appear so different. Why do people prefer the Poly pool? It looks like they are both constructed of "stone", both have slides coming out of the "stone", both are zero entry, and both have waterfalls.

SBETigg
01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
My kids just really like the atmosphere at the Poly better in general, but they ended up enjoying the GF pools quite a bit. The courtyard pool was my favorite, but the kids like the zero entry waterfall with slide pool. The pools really are sort of similar, but the thought of swimming with a volcano might edge out the rock-waterfall at the GF for the cool factor.

The other thing that puts the GF in the lead for me as far as pools, though, is the hot tub. The Poly doesn't have one, and the warm water jets in the far end of the pool with bench seating are neat (especially since you can sit there and look across the lagoon to the castle) but not to compare to an easily available hot tub.

KAT1811
01-06-2008, 02:22 PM
We are staying at the GF (DH's pick this year) and I was just wondering if I was missing something about the pools. If I'm not mistaken you see the MK from both pools? DH loves hotubs (he is the bubble bath king of our jacuzi tub :secret:) so I guess we are on the right path with the GF.

SBETigg
01-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Yes, you can see the MK from both pools. And while you can't see the MK from the GF Courtyard pool, but you can see the fireworks from there overhead at night. It's especially nice to bounce from the hot tub to the Courtyard pool. No slide or waterfall, but very relaxing and enjoyable. Both GF pools are big winners for me, while the Polynesian quiet pool is nice but nothing special.

TammiMcMan
01-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Yes, you can see the MK from both pools.Are we talking about the GF or Poly here? You can't see the MK from either of the GF pools. That view is pretty much blocked by trees and the lodges.

From the GF theme pool, you have a nice beach and lagoon view and you can watch the monorail whisking by.

SBETigg
01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
I meant from the Poly pool and the GF waterfall pool, but you're right- you really have to be further down the beach to see the park there from the GF waterfall pool area and not actually from the pool itself-- though it is a nice lagoon view. You obviously can't see the park from the Courtyard pool but yes, you can see fireworks from there. You can see the castle from the Poly Volcano pool, though, can't you? I remember seeing the castle from the pool.

Graingerboy
01-07-2008, 06:04 PM
I agree with what type of atmoshpere you are looking for. My family and I looked around at the different resorts on our summer vacation last July. The kids really enjoyed the Poly over the GF and the pools are very similiar just the pool at the Poly is in the volcano. Our personnal favorite is the YC.

KAT1811
01-07-2008, 06:22 PM
I agree with what type of atmoshpere you are looking for. My family and I looked around at the different resorts on our summer vacation last July. The kids really enjoyed the Poly over the GF and the pools are very similiar just the pool at the Poly is in the volcano. Our personnal favorite is the YC.

:welcome: To Intercot!!! :welcome: I think you're going to like it here!!!

I agree, the GF is where DH would really like to stay and it really doesn't matter to me. I usually rule the WDW vacation planning so I'm letting him take the riens on this one!!

TammiMcMan
01-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Just wanted to add that the GF's theme pool is the only one right now to offer the private cabana rentals. If you're planning on spending a relaxing day by the pool, they're a great amenity.

KateMW
01-07-2008, 09:21 PM
What do the cabana's at the GF look like? We're taking a whole day to stay around the resort...maybe I should have picked the GF. Oh the choices!

KAT1811
01-07-2008, 09:33 PM
We've already decided on the GF but I was more interested in why people seem to prefer the pool at the Poly. I can't see a big difference from the pictures so I figured I'd ask. I am already planning on trying to reserve a cabana for the day. I know they are in short supply so I am not banking on it. Thank you for the reminder!

tikiman
01-08-2008, 10:03 AM
The pools are similar. The were even designed at the same time and are almost mirror images of each other and are the same volume. I think like others have mentioned it is the theme. Also for me it is the distance to get to each pool. The Polynesian pool is steps from most of the rooms. Also I my opinion the slide is much better than the slide at the GF pool.

TammiMcMan
01-08-2008, 10:30 AM
What do the cabana's at the GF look like? We're taking a whole day to stay around the resort...maybe I should have picked the GF. Oh the choices!There are 3 or 4 of them located by the edge of the theme pool. Basically, it's a small framed building that has a roof and clothe sides that you can close up. There are 2 lounge chairs provided that are a little nicer than the standard ones found around the pool. They have a table & chairs inside, plus a fridge that comes stocked with juice boxes, water and soda. There's also an entertainment unit with a tv and dvd player. Guests staying at the GF can rent them by the day or 1/2 day.

KateMW
01-08-2008, 10:37 AM
There are 3 or 4 of them located by the edge of the theme pool. Basically, it's a small framed building that has a roof and clothe sides that you can close up. There are 2 lounge chairs provided that are a little nicer than the standard ones found around the pool. They have a table & chairs inside, plus a fridge that comes stocked with juice boxes, water and soda. There's also an entertainment unit with a tv and dvd player. Guests staying at the GF can rent them by the day or 1/2 day.

and they are only at GF? Bummer. We're going to spend the day of MNSSHP around the pool. Whatever that day might be...LOL I hate not knowing! April and May need to hurry up!

SBETigg
01-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Speaking of nice chairs, one other minor edge the GF pools have over the Poly... when we stayed at the GF, we noticed that all of the chairs had cushions. Not so at the Poly. It made lounging by the pool just that little bit more comfortable.

TammiMcMan
01-08-2008, 03:09 PM
and they are only at GF? Bummer. That's correct. The GF is currently the only Disney resort with cabanas at all and rentals are reserved for GF guests only.

Speaking of nice chairs, one other minor edge the GF pools have over the Poly... when we stayed at the GF, we noticed that all of the chairs had cushions.I think that upgrade was completed over the summer and I agree, it makes sitting by the pool even nicer.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
I like the GF pool better. The men at the Poly pool have been less-than-gentlemanly types who I have noticed openly ogling the women. I do like the lush feeling of the Poly pool better than the GF, I just don't like the atmosphere. I don't know if the men we've encountered were day-trippers or if it was just bad luck with the crowd.

MR.MIKE
01-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks for giving me a chance to share my Gf pool pics. I love remembering how much fun we had.

Here is the view as we sat in the cabana
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/peter1706/DisneyAugust2007532.jpg

and here is the opposite view

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/peter1706/DisneyAugust2007592.jpg

The Gf pool never seemed to us as crowded as the Poly.

KAT1811
01-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for giving me a chance to share my Gf pool pics. I love remembering how much fun we had.

Here is the view as we sat in the cabana
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/peter1706/DisneyAugust2007532.jpg

and here is the opposite view

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/peter1706/DisneyAugust2007592.jpg

The Gf pool never seemed to us as crowded as the Poly.

Glad I could help you showcase your pics! They are great. I think we'll have a great time at the GF pool. I'm really looking forward to our trip! How did you like the cabanas (did you do the half or full day)? Would you rent one again? I'm thinking of renting one in November (hopefully the weather will cooperate).

We have so many other trips planned yet none seem as wonderful as WDW. We are heading to the Cape this weekend to celebrate DD#1's birthday and again in April for our annual family trip (there is usually about 20 of us!) and then our girls and kids trip to NH in June, who knows what else inbetween. Hoping to get into NYC sometime this spring but I just do not feel the same about those trips like I do WDW. I guess that is just part of the magic. :cloud9:

Thank you again for sharing your pictures. :mickey: