PDA

View Full Version : POR vs POFQ

bkahrens
01-06-2008, 12:15 PM
We are thinking about WDW next January for DD's 8th bday and are most likely trying a moderate. We have been once and did WL so I want something we might find equally fabulous. I looked and thought POFQ might be nice with 2 kids who might not want to walk so much. Then I started thinking about POR since it has the cool island pool area and a hot tub I guess. I know the kids would hope to swim and we'd like to get the most out of our resort. Any adivse would be much appreciated. By the way, we would be using Disney buses to get around so that's a concern too.

ibrowse17
01-06-2008, 01:15 PM
FQ is a much smaller place, and things are easier to get to. RS is much more spread out. The pools are about the same, but FQ has a hot tub. I would also give FQ the edge on buses as they are the first to pick up and drop off. Either way you will be in a nice place, so have a great trip:thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
We are huge POFQ fans!

There is nothing wrong with POR, it is a nice resort, and the main pool area is really neat, but we just didn't like the size of the resort. We had a room close to the main building, but that meant that the main pool was a trek away, and we ended-up using the quiet pool instead.

POFQ is small, nothing is too far away, and DD (will be 10 on our next trip) loves Scales the slide (in fact, she's the one who insisted we go back to FQ for our next trip). The pool area is fun, there is a small hot tub not too far away!

We also liked always getting a seat on the bus, and being dropped off first after a long day in the park (and if the bus was full, we didn't even go onto Riverside!)

You'll like either, both are fine, but for us we can't beat the small size of FQ!

bkahrens
01-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the input, it helps to hear from people who have been there, especially w/kids!

LudwigVonDrake
01-06-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm going to be booking POFQ this week for a July vacation :mjump:

#1donaldfan
01-06-2008, 10:21 PM
There is nothing wrong with FQ, but it's much smaller.....POR Riverside has 5 quiet pools and one signature pool with the hot tub, and it's centrally located so it's not a far walk from any building, plus the main pool area has a nice play area for the little ones....the resort is very nice, quiet, relaxing, laid back...the food court is very good, the Boatwrights restraunt is very, very good for breakfast...there are 4 bus depots in the riverside section and one at the FQ side. I think you would like both equally well, with riverside having a few more things to do, but even at that, it's just about a 5 / 10 minute walk from FQ to Riverside.

Kairi_7378
01-07-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with either resort. And, like #1donaldfan points out, you're only a short distance away from whichever resort you don't stay at! DH and I really like the location of POR and POFQ. You're about equidistant from all of the parks (AK is a little bit of a longer ride.) The boat ride between DTD and the resorts is a nice feature, too.
Yes, FQ is smaller, but you can request to be close to the main building in POR. Are you planning on eating a lot of meals at the resort? If so, POR has a sit down restaurant and a beautiful cafeteria. FQ doesn't have a sit down restaurant and I thought that the caf was a little rowdy in the morning, but I didn't mind because it was very much in theme for the resort. Not good for DH who is NOT a morning person, so I was the designated coffee person in the AM. FQ has beignets, which are fantastic!
I think if you are trying to choose between the two you have to decide which theme appeals to you more. FQ is more of an urban feel, while POR is more of a garden estate feel. FQ is very cute and quaint. POR has won landscaping awards. DH is a POR fan, while I lean toward FQ, but we had fantastic experiences at both resorts. I don't have children myself, but I have seen many children having a great time at both resorts.

garymacd
01-07-2008, 11:03 AM
There is a lot of good information in this thread. You will find there are a lot of us that love Port Orleans. We personally like POFQ for the size. Nothing is too far away. You can walk anywhere in the resort from anywhere in the resort in under five minutes. The grounds are spectacular and you can't see the parking lots from the room. We stayed at CBR this past September and had a great view of our car! Right outside the window!

One thing no one has mentioned so far is the fact that at PO resorts - and only PO resorts - you can get beignets! These are a New Orleans treat that are made fresh to order and are piping hot and covered in icing sugar.:cloud9:

Both resorts have wonderful theme pools. Riverside has some quiet pools without all the theming and lifeguards.

Both have food courts, FQ's is somewhat smaller but with pretty much the same food selection. With only about a third of the rooms of Riverside, they don't need a big one. Both have bars. FQ's is a small jazz bar where live music is played on many nights. Riverside's is a piano bar. Only Riverside has a table service restaurant. FQ's closed down some years ago. Both have main poolside bars as well.

As many have said, the buses stop at FQ first so you can pretty much assure yourself of a seat. They also drop you off first, but it always seems like such a long walk to the bus stop from the parks.

There is also a riverside walkway that joins the two resorts. You can walk from one to the other in well under ten minutes. It is also a measured path of exactly one mile. Quite often in the mornings you will see many people out for a morning jog.

Oh. The river also leads directly to DtD. There are riverboats that run from both resorts to DTD and back on a very relaxing ride. Lots of wildlife to see on the ride.

You can also rent bicycles and two- and four-person surrey bikes for a ride around the resorts. There are also horse drawn carriage rides every evening around the two resorts. Someone once told me you can rent croquet equipment and play a rousing game on one of the manicured lawns, but I have never seen that.

You will have a great time whichever resort you choose. We also like WL, but POFQ is our favourite moderate.

animalkingdomguy
01-07-2008, 11:17 AM
It's probably already mentioned but POR in Alligator Bayou has rooms that accomodate 5 guests. That make it a great value for a moderate resort. While out this families of 5 require either one of the new family suites or have to book a deluxe resort. Also, the theme and landscaping at POR AB is great.

katzctkpt
01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
We've stayed at POR AB bldg 18 & 14 because it accomodates 5 unlike FQ. These bldgs are close to the food court and south depot which we've not had any issues with the buses. The pathways are nicely shaded and a short walk to the main pool isn't a big issue imo and a closeby quiet pool. Both of these resorts seem to be laid back and not the usual hustle that comes with the Value resorts. You can rent bikes, boats, and even horse drawn carriage rides. Both resorts have transportation to DTD by boat which is usually nice and breezy. Have fun deciding which resort I don't think you could go wrong with either.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
01-07-2008, 09:59 PM
POFQ has been great for our family. The size is small and although there is more things to offer at POR we find by the time we gat back to the room we are to tired to enjoy them. POFQ is easy to get around and no matter where your room is you are only a few steps away from everything.