PDA

View Full Version : Disney Travel/Guide Books

ljv1975
01-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Which of the Disney guidebooks have you used or recommend? This is our very first trip, so I would like to read up on everything. We will also have a 2 1/2 year old so planning is key.

On Amazon I have found: "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2008" "Birnbaum's Walt Disney World 2008" and "The Complete Guide to walt Disney World". Which of these are the best?

Also, does anyone know of a book made specifically for small children with lots of pictures of the rides and characters that my daughter can look at to understnad more of what's going on? She's seen the Dumbo and Teacup rides on TV, and of course she knows the characters, but I thought a book of some kind would be nice fore her to look through.

Thanks a lot!!:mickey:

bobpfef
01-06-2008, 11:39 AM
The two ones I would recommend are the Unoffical Guide, which is really the bible for Disney trip planning. It's thick and opinioned and has just tons of information. It is without photos though. The other one is the Offical Birnbaum's Guide which also has a lot of good information plus it is full of nice photos. It is the book that the kids love to look through the most. It also has a nice map and good coupons in it.

chicade88
01-06-2008, 11:54 AM
We found the Unofficial Guide was more helpful for planning strategy in the park and had information like you might find in here. It's also a really big book so thats quite a bit of information! However, we enjoyed the Birnbaum's guide much more. The pictures are wonderful and the descriptions of the rides/restaurants aren't so cynical (we prefer the rose-colored glasses when it comes to Disney :mickey:). Anyway, we use the Birnbaum's book really just more to get excited about the trip. There aren't ANY tips in that book you can't find on here.

Itchy
01-06-2008, 12:44 PM
We have used Birnbaums Guide to Disney World since our first trip in 1989 and find it very good. I think that they also have one that features traveling with kids.

Happy Planning:mickey:

faline
01-06-2008, 01:37 PM
My favorite is the Official Guide. You might also want to look at "Disney World for Kids, By Kids" (http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Walt-Disney-World-Kids/dp/1423103874/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199644025&sr=1-1)

Madame Leona
01-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I really like the Birnbaums 2008. They also make a Birnbaums for Kids (different than with kids). It has a lot of pictures and is really geared toward children. It even has a place in back for autographs and a section to scrapbook different parts of your trip.

KateMW
01-06-2008, 02:59 PM
I have to say that I've found the message boards I've been reading to be much more helpful than the 5 (yes, I know...5!!!) books I bought. That being said, I do really like the Unofficial Guide. They are very sarcastic, which I enjoy! Because you have to submit stuff to print so far in advance, this board is much more up-to-date than any book.

PetefromRI
01-06-2008, 04:02 PM
I find Birnbaum's to be very generic.It has wonderful pictures and good info for beginners but for more indepth information I really enjoy the Passporter books.The restaurant guide in the Passporter has realistic pricing and I really do enjoy the reviews.
I still have to say that the intercot is the best place to ask questions and is probably the best guide out there.

irish1967
01-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Also, does anyone know of a book made specifically for small children with lots of pictures of the rides and characters that my daughter can look at to understnad more of what's going on? She's seen the Dumbo and Teacup rides on TV, and of course she knows the characters, but I thought a book of some kind would be nice fore her to look through.:

I know you asked for books - but I have seen posts recommending "youtube" as a good source for giving children realistic ideas about what the different rides are all about. I would definitely preview them before she sees them, though.

I, personally, just go to the public library and work my way through all the Disney Travel Guides!

DVC Mike
01-06-2008, 07:02 PM
We like the following four guide books:

The Unofficial Guide - the most detailed and comprehensive
PassPorters Guide - good reviews and tools
The Complete Guide - best looking with over 400 color pictures and detailed information into all of WDW
Birnbaum's (official) - If you don't care to read, this provides a quick overview"The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World" is a great read!

biodtl
01-06-2008, 10:20 PM
There is one called Walt Disney World Guide to the Magic that has a kids' version which has journal pages to fill in, sections for each land, etc (and it's set up so younger kids can check off things like weather, ratings etc pretty easily), and scavenger hunt type activities.

playdead88
01-07-2008, 06:48 AM
we never leave home without our passporter - love that book and it has places for all your tickets and magic express info - we have found that intercot and passporter are the 2 things everyone needs for a disney vacation :mickey:

DDuck66
01-07-2008, 11:07 AM
When we were "newbies", we used to use the Unofficial Guide and then we graduated to the Passporter. Now we use Intercot...my DW also uses another website by Deb..Both are okay, but Intecot lets you ask the questions instead of just giving you information to search through.

Mickey'sGirl
01-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I buy a new version of the Passporter, the Unofficial Guide and Birnbaum's books every October. I like each for different reasons. I think the Unofficial Guide is a nice introductory book -- I would recommend the Passporter if you plan on becoming a maniac and require tons of detailed information.

We also buy the Birnbaum Kid's book every year. My boys love to read it and there are some photos and "kid" information for them.

Like others have said, however, this site has the best information available in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Tink#64
01-07-2008, 11:29 PM
For our 1st trip I borrowed a Birnbaum's from a friend. In following years I found the other books at the library and I found that the Unofficial Guide is my favorite! As others have said, for me it's my Disney bible. I love that it gives the duration times for the attractions, as well as wait predictions, and other great info about the attraction & which age level it will most appeal to. There is a lot of info in this book & I think that's why I like it. It covers all of your bases.

My DS's have always enjoyed the Official Guide For Kids, I get them a new one for each trip, along with my U.G. The Birnbaums has great pictures & gives the kids a good idea of what to expect. I still purchase a Birnbaums sometimes just becuse I love the photos & I think it is a nice overview, especialy for those that just don't want to be overwhelmed with all the info.
I received "The Complete Walt Disney World" as a Christmas gift & I love it too. But it's not as in depth as the U.G.

Everyone has different ways of planning & we're going to all give you info on what we love. I think one of the best ways to find what will work for you is to go to your local book store & look at the various guide books, and see which appeals most to you. :read:
Happy planning! For me, planning is the next best thing to being at WDW! :cloud9:

poeticeclipse
01-08-2008, 09:47 AM
You might also want to look at "Disney World for Kids, By Kids" (http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Walt-Disney-World-Kids/dp/1423103874/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199644025&sr=1-1)

I second this! I'm not a big fan of Birnbaums for adults but for kids it's perfect. Lots of colorful pictures and some helpful tips that your child will enjoy.

As for a the true planner, nothing, and I mean NOTHING beats Unofficial Guide. The authors keep things comical while providing the most detailed information. It's the only book that is very opinionated and gives you honest ratings of hotels, shops, restaurants, and attractions. Most books give everything 4 or 5 stars out of 5 for everything when we all know that not everything in WDW should be scored that I. Need I mention Stitch's Great Escape? The Unofficial Guide also has really great day planning tips. I've used them and they do work! I've saved lots of time by not standing in lines and had more time enjoying the attractions I love.

MickeyandTink
01-11-2008, 07:54 PM
You might also want to look at "Disney World for Kids, By Kids" (http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Walt-Disney-World-Kids/dp/1423103874/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199644025&sr=1-1)

I'll second the Birnbaums WDW for kids by kids. I bought a copy for our then 6yr old daughter :princess: to read through a couple of weeks before our trip. She wasn't too excited at first, but after looking through a little bit she read it cover to cover so many times it's practically falling apart. After we got back from our trip, she read it to her 3 yr old cousins as well. I plan to get another one for her and her younger brother for the next trip.

Hair_Razor
01-11-2008, 08:03 PM
we never leave home without our passporter - love that book and it has places for all your tickets and magic express info - we have found that intercot and passporter are the 2 things everyone needs for a disney vacation :mickey:

I completely agree I take my PassPorter it is the best plus when we get there I rip out the maps at each parks to reference to. It has the pockets to keep info and things great if you scrapbook.

JCDarzi
01-13-2008, 11:22 PM
My favorite is the Passporter. I love the daily folders. It consise information and format makes it easy to make quick decisions about restaurants and rides on the go.

I love the journaling aspect as well. I am amazed at how much I forget about the trip <even with the 100s of pictures we take > that I recorded in the Passporter each day of the trip.

The folders serve as a great place for maps, park schedules, and brochures. The fold out maps are great too. They are detailed enough without being too large.

Other posters have mentioned Birmbaum guide for kids which has a lot of great photos. For preschoolers, Disney's website has a Magical Beginnings Activity book with puzzles, games and a guide of sorts for each park with toddler appropriate entertainment. It's an Adobe file to download and print.

lwhan4
01-14-2008, 09:07 AM
The unofficial guide is our favorite. The touring plans have worked well for us on past trips. The detailed information along with the style of the writing is unbeatable. Birnbaum's is more enjoyable for a quick flip through Disney fix...with the nice pictures,etc. The unofficial guide is the book to purchase though.