PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion to receive PC script?

DizneyFreak2002
01-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I have read reports online, as well as heard that Local 6 in Orlando and the Orlando Sentinel have run stories that WDI is going to be writing up a script CMs are going to have to adhere to... Supposedly, guests complained that the CMs were too scary... If this is true, all I can say to these complainers is STOP BEING WIMPS!!!! And to WDI: STOP CAVING TO THE PC CROWD!!! Geez, I hope this is not true...

DisneyTwirler13!
01-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I heard about that! They did a story about it on Fox at 11:00 last night. I started freaking out when I heard about it! I hope it doesn't happen!
Haunted Mansion is not one of those rides that needs a script! Improvisation adds to the excitement and the magic!! :mad:

What's PC stand for? :blush:

DizneyFreak2002
01-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Politically Correct.....

Ian
01-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Slow down everyone ... this is based largely on a story done by the ever-unreliable Mr. Hill.

From what I hear, it's basically bogus. Yes ... it's true WDI is working on a script for HM, but it has nothing to do with complaints or PC or anything like that.

WDI is just interested in creating a consistent guest experience vs. the impromptu CM dialogue they have today.

If you think about it, much like the Jungle Cruise, your experience on HM can differ widely depending on the quality of the CMs you have. WDI is just trying to take that out of the equation and also try to tone down the few CM's who are so over-the-top that they're becoming the attraction themselves.

This seems like a mountain being made out of a molehill to me.

CPT Trips
01-05-2008, 04:11 PM
snip

Just about anything a "commentator" doesn't agree with gets the PC label.

Ian
01-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Just about anything a "commentator" doesn't agree with gets the PC label.I'm not exactly sure what "commentators" you're referring to, but "politically correct" has a dictionary definition that has nothing to do with anyone's opinion or commentary:

Adj. - Marked by or adhering to a typically progressive orthodoxy on issues involving esp. race, gender, sexual affinity, or ecology.

Crow
01-05-2008, 07:31 PM
lets hope its not true....and that the CMs dont have to stick to just a few lines...it would b like GMR where i hear they dont get to vary much....
hey lets take out the ghosts cause it may be too scary
or remove the pirate chasing the wench.....whoops wrong attraction..thats already been done

Nate's Grandpa
01-05-2008, 09:54 PM

To me PC will always stand for Personal Computer. A script is a set of instructions executed by the PC.

This shows how OLD I am!;)

CaptainSad
01-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Aren't they already scripted? "Drag your bodies to the Dead center of the room" and so on. I think they do a great job of following around and picking on a guest or two by just standing there and staring at them. That is part of the experience. What is so scary anyway?

jszczur5
01-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Aren't they already scripted? "Drag your bodies to the Dead center of the room" and so on. I think they do a great job of following around and picking on a guest or two by just standing there and staring at them. That is part of the experience. What is so scary anyway?

I like it when they pick on someone. One time my son, then 9, was being a bit of a bum, so the CM kept walking right up to him, without touching, of course, and just stared at him soundlessly. It freaked my son out quite a bit, but it sure got him to shut his mouth.
Besides, if they quit picking on people, whatever will happen to "that guy" at the Laugh Floor. That was the best part of the show, especially once I figured out "he" was sitting directly behind us.
Political correctness be darned. What good is it if we can't laugh at ourselves?

SurferStitch
01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
I've found over the years that some HM CM's really get into character, while others just do what they have to.

Now, throw a script into the mix, and you'll have the really great CM's still doing a great job, and you'll have the less-than-enthusiastic ones basically just reading their lines because they have to.....ooooooooohhhhhh, exciting. :rolleyes:

As far as them being scary....are you kidding? They are creepy (sometimes), but not scary.

Obviously, if everyone was happy with the way things are now (I am), then WDW would not see a need to start using a script. There must have been some sort of complaint from a probably minuscule percentage of guests, or else I doubt WDW would just change things for no reason. When I see some of the stuff people complain about on this board, it wouldn't surprise me if some people took the time to complain that their "little Bobby got scared when a CM tried to look at them in a creepy manner. He's scarred for life now." Can't have that now, can we?

I think it's perfect just the way it is. Leave it alone.

GrandFlo
01-06-2008, 04:04 PM
I LOVE the Cms at HM. They are awesome!

One time I heard some guests complaing that the CMs were not nice at the HM and that they don't smile. :confused: Hello....it is a "haunted mansion" :D

Maybe I'm a really bad mom, but I love it when th HM CMs interact with DS.

I hope they don't change a thing.

GothMickey
01-07-2008, 08:40 AM
What's next? Making American Adventure and Hall of Presidents PC because they depict some portions of American history that some may find offensive? Give it a break. I hope this is nothing more than a typical Jim Hill rant that has no truth or merit to it.

Duchess99
01-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I understand wanting to make all the cast members give the same experience, but why don't they audition people for the position and let employees know what is expected of them? There are many positions in WDW that don't require any more than "how many? row 2 please", so give that to the people who don't want to give their all. I'm sure they can find many people who would love to work at HM without a script.

kristnjohn
01-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I saw this report on the TMZ (hollywood rumors stuff) tv show today (I was home all day with sick DD4 and had NOTHING else to watch!)and couldn't believe it!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? It's the Haunted Mansion! They gave 2 lines that were being "complained" about, one of them was "follow the blood red carpet". Again...ARE YOU KIDDING ME???! If you are that sensitive a person, and need to look that closely at things to have something to riducule, please stay out of DW. Imagine if they took the character charisma out of all the DW rides, the rides would lose nearly all their charm, which makes DW what it is.

MegaDisney
01-07-2008, 11:31 PM
I have three words regarding this:

Jim Hill Spin

The changes are for guest experience not due to complaints but more "plussing"

GrumpyFan
01-07-2008, 11:50 PM
From what I read, it sounds like they're just trying to make for a more consistent experience. In theory, it sounds like a good idea. Depending on the script, and whether or not the CM "acts" the part, It might actually improve the experience. In fact, I think more attractions could use this sort of treatment. Just think, what if the CMs on Space Mountain or Splah Mountain or RnR played along with the story line, it add another experience level to some attractions.

SurferStitch
01-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Well, Jim Hill does give his opinion, but he does present both sides of the argument. He did say that his "person" in Glendale said it was for plussing, while others say it is due to complaints. He doesn't sound any different than the other experts on this board, so why bash him? He is often pretty correct, from what I've read in the past. Is he wrong, too? Sure, but I haven't found anyone who's always right.....not even here.

Personally, I feel it's because of complaints. I love knowing that it may not be the same way each time we enter. I don't look forward to the exact same things being said and done EVERY time I go there.

GothMickey
01-08-2008, 08:52 AM
I have three words regarding this:

Jim Hill Spin

Why is it Jim Hill spin and not Disney spin? I can see Disney lying and saying it was plussing, meanwhile they buckle to the complaints. Let's not spin this to make Jim Hill look bad in this situation. Disney buckles all the time and always puts their spin on things. This is another example.

SurferStitch
01-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Yeah, and the Green Team was added to M:S just because they wanted more people to be able to experience the ride, not because of any complaints or bad press or anything like that. :rolleyes:

I know, I know....more extreme example, but you get my drift.

GothMickey
01-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Yeah, and the Green Team was added to M:S just because they wanted more people to be able to experience the ride, not because of any complaints or bad press or anything like that. :rolleyes:

I know, I know....more extreme example, but you get my drift.

That is Disney spin at its best. Open the less thrilling experience, and say it is because you want more guests to experience the ride. This had nothing to do with two people dying and hundreds more getting seriously sick.

Face it, Disney buckled to guest complaints that CMs were too scary.

MegaDisney
01-08-2008, 03:34 PM
We are all entitled to beleive what we want.

In my experience with the spin that some other sites always put on their stories, and the down right fabrications of guest complaints, I tend to beleive Disney on this one.

tinklover
01-11-2008, 12:19 PM
When we were at Disney in May I took my 2 DD's on HM. My 4 yr old was scared out of her wits and i noticed that the cm's toned their act down a tad to try and help calm her down. I had told her what a cm told me on my first trip to disney as a child that if you smile teh ghosts will not get you and the once cm over heard me and played into and said your mommy is right so just make sure your quiet and smiling and they will not get ya. I thought that was awesome of her I wish I could remember her name. Any way my dd loved it and now wants that to be the first ride we get on when we go back in June. I seriously doubt it is a matter of Disney caving ue to people complaining it is too scary.