PDA

View Full Version : How Much Snow Do You Have?

Magic Smiles
01-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Just sitting here wondering if it will ever stop snowing. We returned on 21 Dec 07 from our Disney vacation to find the snow banks at the side of our driveway up to our shoulders. Since then it just keeps snowing. Our weather forecast is for it to warm up a lot over the next few days which will result is melting and probably a HUGE mess. So how much snow does everyone have?

tinkerbell04
01-04-2008, 08:06 PM
We have none...I would love to have some though, but I don't think I want as much as you have! :mickey:

jenfriend
01-04-2008, 08:42 PM
When I first saw this post I thought you were discussing the amount of snow in Orlando because they've had record lows.

Polynesian Dweller
01-04-2008, 08:54 PM
You've actually got a lot more over there than we have here on Georgian Bay. Normally the squalls give us more than every one else but this year, though we have about 1m the snow has been more in storms and not squalls. Oh, Oh, hope I didn't just jinx it. :D

SgtTigger
01-04-2008, 08:56 PM
None here in Louisiana but it sure has been cold........

:cop: :tigger:

simpleyred
01-04-2008, 09:20 PM
We have about 10 inches of snow here. Forecast has near 50 for the weekend. Goodbye snow, hello mud.

pjbs35a
01-04-2008, 09:23 PM
It stopped snowing here just after the last Ice Age.

disneydeb
01-04-2008, 10:28 PM
We haven't had a good snow here in about 20 years. :(

WDWfanatic742
01-04-2008, 10:38 PM
We had record lows down here in the low 30's a couple of days ago, and the keys had their lowest temperature since the 1890's.

No snow though :(

berri_boo
01-04-2008, 10:46 PM
I think so far this winter we've had about 14-18 inches. Of course we are only in January so it's just the beginning. We are having a bitter cold spell right now..YUCK! How I yearn for warm weather!

My DH & I have decided to move to N.C. as he has researched the job market down there for both of us and we can make more money down there then what we do up here in N.Y. (he's in business management & I'm a Senior A/R Bookkeeper for a non-profit agency). So we are hoping that this will be our final winter up here!!! I can do without the snow & bitter cold for such a long period of time!

ncscgirl2005
01-04-2008, 11:04 PM
I think so far this winter we've had about 14-18 inches. Of course we are only in January so it's just the beginning. We are having a bitter cold spell right now..YUCK! How I yearn for warm weather!

My DH & I have decided to move to N.C. as he has researched the job market down there for both of us and we can make more money down there then what we do up here in N.Y. (he's in business management & I'm a Senior A/R Bookkeeper for a non-profit agency). So we are hoping that this will be our final winter up here!!! I can do without the snow & bitter cold for such a long period of time!

What part of NC? I'm moving back to Fayetteville soon but I'm pretty sure you're not talking about that place. Probably more like the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area. Or perhaps Charlotte?

Anyhoo....we don't have snow here in SC but as soon as we even get word of snow I can gurantee you that the bread, milk, and bananas will completely disappear for store shelves.

tinkerbell04
01-05-2008, 10:16 AM
as soon as we even get word of snow I can gurantee you that the bread, milk, and bananas will completely disappear for store shelves.

Same here, except for the bananas, we don't do that one here. People do clear the shelves of toilet paper and tastykakes to go along with their bread and milk though!:mickey:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-05-2008, 11:21 AM
oh how i miss the snow... i was born in virginia... moved to 100* summerland in '91, and haven't seen snow since. someone bottle some and send it my way... lol

ncscgirl2005
01-05-2008, 08:42 PM
oh how i miss the snow... i was born in virginia... moved to 100* summerland in '91, and haven't seen snow since. someone bottle some and send it my way... lol

LOL! My cousin (age 17) lives in Miami and she has never seen snow! Most times when she would go visit my mom in NC during the winter it would snow a couple of days after she left to go home.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-05-2008, 09:19 PM
LOL! My cousin (age 17) lives in Miami and she has never seen snow! Most times when she would go visit my mom in NC during the winter it would snow a couple of days after she left to go home.

well, my daughter still believes that the soap "snow" that falls at MGM during Osborne Lights is real snow... and don't anyone dare try to argue different with her. lol

IloveJack
01-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Same here, except for the bananas, we don't do that one here. People do clear the shelves of toilet paper and tastykakes to go along with their bread and milk though!:mickey:

On the rare occasion that it snows here, our stores run out of toilet paper, too. I always wonder if they think they'll "go" more during that time? It's not like the snow every stays long enough to really need an industrial size pack of tp!

ncscgirl2005
01-07-2008, 09:16 AM
well, my daughter still believes that the soap "snow" that falls at MGM during Osborne Lights is real snow... and don't anyone dare try to argue different with her. lol

Too cute!

Figgyluv03
01-07-2008, 12:27 PM
No Snow Here in the Delaware Valley. It's going up to 60 today. Gotta love Global Warming!

poohluva
01-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Here in NH we just beat December's record set back in 1876, we had over 44 inches!! Luckily it's going to be "warm" for a few days this week, so we should see a lot of melting!!

:snowball:

DisneyFreak23
01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
we are looking to have a record high today of 55+ so no snow anymore lol.

murphy1
01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
I hate to do this but...

We are in the 70's, I feel like I'm back in FL!!! Lovin' it!!

kakn7294
01-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Ha Shari! I can do you one better! We're in southwestern PA and it's 65º today and will be near 70º tomorrow! Of course, last Friday it was in the teens...

thrillme
01-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Snow???? What's that???

No snow...in fact it's been HORRIBLE weather...I HATE it. Low to mid 70's and stinkingly perfectly sunny. Very "Mary Poppins" over here. (I love icy cold and storms).

Magic Smiles
01-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Is she one of the kids that we saw this past Dec walking around with their tongues out trying to catch the snowflakes? My DS thought this was hilarious. At first, I wondered what all this white stuff was in the air. Then it dawned on me. Sorry, but it was really had to imagine it as snow when the temp is in the 70's.
Last week here it was -22 F, today it is 50 F and raining like cats and dogs. At least our shoulder high snowbanks will be reduced to reasonable heights.

animalkingdomguy
01-11-2008, 02:24 PM
In lower Michigan it's gone. We have a heat wave with temps in the mid 50's.

McGoofy
01-11-2008, 02:41 PM

That's funny. :D That's about all of the snow that I have seen in several years myself!

To the OP...I am representing Charleston, SC. We're on the Atlantic coast, and we never see snow here. If we do, it's a really freaky thing--most likely only flurries. However, schools will close, and I think they will pull our one salt truck out of the garage to salt the bridges!;) Anyway, we are having 79 degrees and sunny weather right now. :sun:

T_I_Double Guh_Err
01-13-2008, 02:39 AM
Wow!
that sounds fun!
where I live, we have never had a drop of snow, ever!

conorsmom2000
01-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Let's see.....two weeks ago it was 18 degrees out. Last week we hit a record high of 67 degrees!!! Tonight, it's predicted that we'll get 6 to 12 inches of snow! :rolleyes:

I actually hate when we get these little breaks of really warm temperatures - because it just makes it seem that much colder when it goes back to normal. :( And winter's only really barely started.....

TikiGoddess
01-13-2008, 10:55 AM
We have no snow on the ground right now... but predicted to have 8-14 inches overnight! Aw, gee, a snow day. And we just bought a new snow tube for the kids (well, and us...)!

Kathy

ncscgirl2005
01-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Anyhoo....we don't have snow here in SC but as soon as we even get word of snow I can gurantee you that the bread, milk, and bananas will completely disappear for store shelves.

Why oh Why did I wait until today to go to the grocery store? We are supposed to get a little teeny weeny bit of bad weather tonight and then rain by the morning and I HAVE TO GO TO THE STORE. Not because I am worried that I will get shut in the house for days on end but because we are out of basic stuff. And the sad part is that I could have gone on Monday and even last night but nooooo....I had to wait until today. Now I will be fighting for the last jug of milk (if there is any left by the time i get off at 5)!!!

It's gonna be me versus them:

"Ms. I Just Need Some Stuff Because We Really Don't Have Any Milk for our Cereal tomorrow--Not because I think we will be shut in"

VS.

"Ms. OMG, we are going to be snowed in for 3 weeks and I have to buy all the milk, bananas, tastykakes, and toilet paper ;)"
(no offense tinberbell04 and the other poster but i thought that was funny)

LOL!!!!! SC weather----you gotta love it! ;)

McGoofy
01-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Why oh Why did I wait until today to go to the grocery store? We are supposed to get a little teeny weeny bit of bad weather tonight and then rain by the morning and I HAVE TO GO TO THE STORE. Not because I am worried that I will get shut in the house for days on end but because we are out of basic stuff. And the sad part is that I could have gone on Monday and even last night but nooooo....I had to wait until today. Now I will be fighting for the last jug of milk (if there is any left by the time i get off at 5)!!!

"Ms. I Just Need Some Stuff Because We Really Don't Have Any Milk for our Cereal tomorrow--Not because I think we will be shut in"

VS.

"Ms. OMG, we are going to be snowed in for 3 weeks and I have to buy all the milk, bananas, tastykakes, and toilet paper ;)"

You are funny!:mickey: Where in SC are you? I am in Charleston. It's just supposed to be very cold and rainy here, but you would not believe what happened to me. I stopped by the grocery store to get milk today, not because it is going to snow but just because I was out. When I got of the car at the grocery store parking lot, I heard a "PSHHHHHHH" coming from my rear tire. There was a nail sticking out of it. I told my son to "GET BACK IN THE CAR." I hurried home hoping the tire wouldn't be flat before reaching my driveway. So we still don't have milk--and watch--we'll have a freek snowstorm tonight!!!

thrillme
01-16-2008, 04:26 PM

VS.

This made me chuckle because I thought we were the ONLY ones guilty of buying out the store at first sign of bad weather. It's sorta humorous as soon as a hurricane is announce that it MAY hit our coastline people in San Antonio...YES in the MIDDLE of Texas...start buying out ALL the bottled water on the shelves.

McGoofy
01-16-2008, 04:32 PM
This made me chuckle because I thought we were the ONLY ones guilty of buying out the store at first sign of bad weather. It's sorta humorous as soon as a hurricane is announce that it MAY hit our coastline people in San Antonio...YES in the MIDDLE of Texas...start buying out ALL the bottled water on the shelves.

Hurricane...now your speaking my language. I'm way more familiar with that than snow. You must rush out and get your water, batteries, canned SPAM and Castleberry's Beef Stew in a can. I don't eat that stuff any other time of the year. Don't why it is a "must have" hurricane supply, but nonetheless, the grocery shelves get wiped out!

ncscgirl2005
01-16-2008, 09:11 PM
You are funny!:mickey: Where in SC are you? I am in Charleston. It's just supposed to be very cold and rainy here, but you would not believe what happened to me. I stopped by the grocery store to get milk today, not because it is going to snow but just because I was out. When I got of the car at the grocery store parking lot, I heard a "PSHHHHHHH" coming from my rear tire. There was a nail sticking out of it. I told my son to "GET BACK IN THE CAR." I hurried home hoping the tire wouldn't be flat before reaching my driveway. So we still don't have milk--and watch--we'll have a freek snowstorm tonight!!!

I am in Columbia which has not seen snow (so I hear) in quite a while so as you can imagine there were a lot of people at work today doing "snow dances" and talking about their "chicken bog" that they will be preparing in case of snow. LOL!!!! I still don't know what chicken bog is though--never got a clear answer when I inquired.

I'm glad you made it back home safely. If Charleston gets a freak snowstorm we should all be very afraid. Don't worry; I'll send you some cyber milk! And I won't charge you $4.59 like I had to pay for PUBLIX brand (I swear it was only $3.99 last week :mad:)

IloveJack
01-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Well, it finally snowed (about .5 in.) here last night.. But, of course, by the time we woke up this morning, it was all gone due to the rain! I know about 35 teenagers that are going to be really upset that they didn't get out of their Spanish test today! :mad: Of course, their teacher wouldn't have minded a snow day either! :blush:

JanetMegan
01-17-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm about an hour North of Atlanta and we have about 2" from last night's snow. Probably the most I have seen around here since the Blizzard of 1993. Atlanta kids are in school today but the kids up here are out ;) I made it in though-with my new short commute!

Marker
01-17-2008, 09:06 AM
We got a couple of inches last night, with a layer of ice underneath. But the story now is near 0 wind chill.

ncscgirl2005
01-17-2008, 09:11 AM
No snow here. There were some flurries just before we went to bed but then it turned to rain. DDs were pretty upset this morning. ;)

ncscgirl2005
01-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Well, it finally snowed (about .5 in.) here last night.. But, of course, by the time we woke up this morning, it was all gone due to the rain! I know about 35 teenagers that are going to be really upset that they didn't get out of their Spanish test today! :mad: Of course, their teacher wouldn't have minded a snow day either! :blush:

Hope they studied!!!! But if they are anything like I was as a teenager they didn't study one bit. :secret:

McGoofy
01-17-2008, 02:16 PM
I am in Columbia which has not seen snow (so I hear) in quite a while so as you can imagine there were a lot of people at work today doing "snow dances" and talking about their "chicken bog" that they will be preparing in case of snow. LOL!!!! I still don't know what chicken bog is though--never got a clear answer when I inquired.

I'm glad you made it back home safely. If Charleston gets a freak snowstorm we should all be very afraid. Don't worry; I'll send you some cyber milk! And I won't charge you $4.59 like I had to pay for PUBLIX brand (I swear it was only $3.99 last week :mad:)

Nice to meet you! You aren't too far from here. Columbia is just 1 1/2 hours west on I-26 from here. Crazy thing...we did get a little bit of sleet last night (not too much though.) Today has been totally nasty. It's been very cold and rainy all morning and now there is lots of fog rolling in.

As for chicken bog, I don't think you will get 2 alike answers on that. I'm pretty sure it is just a pot of chicken and whatever canned vegetables or things that you can find to go in it. The one I had before was not that good. That wouldn't be my snowstorm choice of food!

Thank you also for the offer of the Cyber milk.:D Publix happens to be where I was when my tire started going flat. What's up with milk being $4.59 a gallon???? Anyhow, I have a very interesting picture of the SCREWDRIVER that was in my tire if you want to PM me your e-mail address.

Well, I'm getting ready to take off in the cold and fog to do the same routine that I tried to do yesterday--pick my son up from school and stop by Publix. Hopefully today will be screwdriver free.

ncscgirl2005
01-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Nice to meet you! You aren't too far from here. Columbia is just 1 1/2 hours west on I-26 from here. Crazy thing...we did get a little bit of sleet last night (not too much though.) Today has been totally nasty. It's been very cold and rainy all morning and now there is lots of fog rolling in.

As for chicken bog, I don't think you will get 2 alike answers on that. I'm pretty sure it is just a pot of chicken and whatever canned vegetables or things that you can find to go in it. The one I had before was not that good. That wouldn't be my snowstorm choice of food!

Thank you also for the offer of the Cyber milk.:D Publix happens to be where I was when my tire started going flat. What's up with milk being $4.59 a gallon???? Anyhow, I have a very interesting picture of the SCREWDRIVER that was in my tire if you want to PM me your e-mail address.

Well, I'm getting ready to take off in the cold and fog to do the same routine that I tried to do yesterday--pick my son up from school and stop by Publix. Hopefully today will be screwdriver free.

I've been wanting to get down to Charleston every since we've moved down here but it just hasn't worked in our favor. Usually it's DH job that keeps us from going. I am still hopeful that we will be able to go for a weekend before we have to move again.

I researched chicken bog and you're right I found different recipes. I might try it out this weekend just to say I've had it. When I tell people I've never had (or heard of until I moved to SC) fish-n-grits or shrimp-n-grits, they look at me like I am crazy and flat-out call me a liar!
I could never envision what that would look like. I thought you had to pick the fish off the bones and mix it in grits. :blush: Lucky for me, I was sitting next to a couple in a restaurant one day during lunch and they ordered the fish-n-grits lunch special. It looked delightful but I still can't bring myself to eat it. I LOVE grits and I like fish but I can't put them both together. Not just yet anyhow. I might try the shrimp-in-grits before the fish-n-grits.

Yes that milk was expensive. I saw on The Early Show that milk was averaging $3.60 a gallon nationwide. I guess Publix didn't get the message! LOL! ;)

A screwdriver huh? Woa.......

Good Luck with the trip today.

JanetMegan
01-17-2008, 03:55 PM
We should start a new topic on this, or maybe there was one, but I get mine at the gas station cause it's much closer than the store-try Mayfield brand for $6.17!!

Magic Smiles
02-01-2008, 07:48 PM
With out most recent snow storm going on outside, just wondering how much snow everyone has now? We are expecting 30 cm - 40 cm (12 -16 inches) this time round.

Dakota Rose
02-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Here in central North Dakota, most of the snow melted over last week-end's "heat wave" (it was in the +40s). But, I'd say about 1/2 of our yard is under 1-2 inches of snow. I'm sure there's more on the way.

Magic Smiles
02-09-2008, 08:52 AM
A co-worker of mine was telling me yesterday (Friday 8 Jan 08) that we have had a total of 8 feet of snow so far this winter here in Ottawa. Lots of it has melted over the months, but we probably still have anywhere from 3 - 4 feet of snow everywhere in our backyard. Our snowbanks at the sides of our driveways are now over our heads.

Flower
02-09-2008, 11:39 AM
The beginning of last week we had green grass and dry roads, we now have about a foot of snow. :snowball:

We are showing 40F or +4C, so hopefully some of it will melt away today. I am really tired of it and am pining for some good outdoor WARM fun. :freeze:

My MIL called me today from Florida saying how much they missed us and wished we were there - I wish we were there too!!!!:winter:

I heard winterlude is going on in Ottawa now, I remember years past where they were not allowing skating on the Rideau because it was so mild. No chance of that this weekend.

I blame the groundhog.

Magic Smiles
03-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Okay, you people in Texas, you can keep your snow and stop sending it up to Ontario. Our weather forecast is for yet another snow storm with anywhere from 30 cm - 50 cm (12 - 20 inches). This will be our 3rd storm THIS WEEK. In Ottawa we are quickly approaching our total for record snowfall for a season. Many more of these storms and I am sure that we will soon pass the old record. We have now had 355 cm (140 inches), the old record being 444 cm (175 inches).
Our snow banks at the sides of our driveways are WAY ABOVE our heads now. Some of our roads are beginning to turn into snow covered lanes as there is just no place to put the snow anymore. So how much snow do you have?

disneydrmr
03-07-2008, 08:56 AM
This is what our local news stations are calling our current snow storm. It's kinda cute and funny - if it weren't for the ominous meaning behind it.. we're expecting a possible 17 inches of snow by the end of all of it Monday morning. 20 to 30 mile wind gusts causing drifting.. all schools closed or dismissing early. I'm expecting my normal 30 minute commute home this evening to probably take a good 2 hours or longer. Please send pixie dust my way that the powers that be here allow us all to go home early. One of the department heads has already told her department that they can leave at noon. Seems unfair.. if one gets to go shouldn't all get to go? Anyone else in the path of this monster?

Tinksalot
03-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Pixie dust on its way!!! :pixie::pixie::pixie:
I'm orignally from Syracuse NY, so I know about snow........Thats why we moved south!
Good luck and be safe!

tinkerbell04
03-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Well, we are in the path, but we are going to be getting all rain. I am sending some :pixie: your way that everyone is safe and weathers the storm. Good luck!

MissStyles
03-07-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm from MA and I also understand storms like this.

Be careful driving home.....

I hope they let you out early. I really do.

:magic::pixie::magic:

tennantsrwe
03-07-2008, 09:26 AM
We're Southern...born and bred...so I couldn't imagine having to deal with that much snow!!! It might be nice to see, just not to have to get out in. But then again lots of people don't like oppressing heat and hurricanes. :D Good Luck and stay warm!

CanadianFan
03-07-2008, 10:04 AM
It's coming to Canada, but not until Saturday afternoon, but it sounds like ANOTHER doozy! We haven't even dug out from the LAST one!! :help: Drive safe and watch out for all the nuts on the road :mad:

Gooftroop5
03-07-2008, 10:10 AM
We are in the path of it and its going to be everything for us. We are to start out with rain switch to snow overnight then tomorrow be a mixed bag of sleet, ice, snow rain whatever and they say it will change by the hour. Then after this ice and water all day the snow is suppose to come back with avengence and then the lake effect is suppose to kick in. Which I saw according to the news this morning we are suppose to be in the heaviest stuff so I'm not sure how much we are suppose to get. We don't get a lot of lake effect here its usually northeat or directly west of us. (I live in the heart of the Finger Lakes) However when they predict lake effect for us we get dumped on. I could live without this. :(

This only leads to mud season YUCK!!!! I can't wait for warm dry weather

MsMin
03-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Sending much :pixie: for your safety and to keep warm. I can't imagine having so much snow. If I owned a snow shovel I would send it up!
Funny, as I type I can hear the Canadian geese honking overhead (outside of course) I think they are ready to head home they have been very restless lately. So Spring is just around the corner so there is light at the end of the tunnel! But for now please be safe. I can't imagine having to drive in that :snowball:

bleukarma
03-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Being from FL, I can’t even imagine 17 inches of snow!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck, and drive safely!!! I’m sending warm wishes that warm weather will be just around the corner for all my northern Intercot friends!!!

Dakota Rose
03-07-2008, 12:05 PM
After 99.99% of the snow melting over last week, we got about an inch of fresh white stuff on Wednesday. Soooooooo irritating. Yet I can't complain too much, we didn't have a whole lot of snow this year as compared to last.

Mammabruski
03-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Here in northwest Colorado we have had about 436 inches of snow. We are on schedule to break the all time snow record. I cannot wait until spring!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-07-2008, 11:21 PM
We are supposed to just get rain here. I think they said 3". Just think what that would be in terms of snow.

crazypoohbear
03-07-2008, 11:31 PM
sigh!
I guess I'm the only one wishing we could get more snow here!:thumbsup:
With everything going on I would love to be snowed in.... until next year :cloud9:
looks like we'll only have rain.
I prefer the snow, at least it looks pretty :D

DakotaDisney
03-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Snowmaggedon

That's clever. I have never heard that before. And living in North Dakota, that's surprising with our winters.

During the winter of '96/'97 a local paper was naming the major snow storms/blizzards like they do with Hurricanes. We had a snow storm almost every week of winter that year.

The worst one was Hannah. (the storm not the name)

Oh by the way we haven't had much snow this week but it has been 4 to 35 below zero.

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-08-2008, 12:46 AM
It rarely snows in middle Tennessee but every now and then we see some. Usually it dissipates as soon as it hits the ground. However tonight we have snow coming down....they are calling for 1 to 6 inches depending on where in the mid state you are.

I grew up in northern Ohio so the snow doesn't bother me....however a lot of people freak out at just the thought of snow. Schools close and everyone goes to the grocery store and buys milk and bread.

disneydrmr
03-08-2008, 08:56 AM
sigh!
I guess I'm the only one wishing we could get more snow here!:thumbsup:
With everything going on I would love to be snowed in.... until next year :cloud9:
looks like we'll only have rain.
I prefer the snow, at least it looks pretty :D

I'll gladly send you some of ours. We are under a Blizzard warning now... and at a Level 3 Snow Emergency. This means if you are caught out driving you could face fines and a ticket. I believe we're up to at least a foot out there.. and it's drifting...BAD! My poor doggies - it's almost up to their bellies. But they still love it! I was allowed to leave early yesterday - by 15 minutes.. :mad: Every other department was gone at noon.. and the VP of the company left at 3pm... I was/am so frustrated and angry. But thanks for all the pixie dust.... as you see I did make it home safely. Now we're hunkered down for the weekend. To all who are in the path of this thing - be safe!

crazypoohbear
03-08-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm glad you made it home!
I've never heard of a a level 3 storm. here in the northeast we just have blizzards, bad blizzards or the mother of all the blizzard of 78, the no name storm (for the movie the perfect storm)
I don' t recall ever having been threatened with fines for driving except in 78.
About a month ago we did have a big storm on a friday, my company let everyone else leave and finally I, along with a few others got to leave an hour early.
I'm always amazed that the people who live the closest here always get to leave first. :confused:
Glad your hunkered down for the weekend.
I hope you stocked up on chocolate, popcorn, movies and :marg::beer: :D

disneydrmr
03-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm glad you made it home!
I've never heard of a a level 3 storm. here in the northeast we just have blizzards, bad blizzards or the mother of all the blizzard of 78, the no name storm (for the movie the perfect storm)
I don' t recall ever having been threatened with fines for driving except in 78.
About a month ago we did have a big storm on a friday, my company let everyone else leave and finally I, along with a few others got to leave an hour early.
I'm always amazed that the people who live the closest here always get to leave first. :confused:
Glad your hunkered down for the weekend.
I hope you stocked up on chocolate, popcorn, movies and :marg::beer: :D

So... it's that way everywhere.. the 'people who live closest leave earliest"... the first person out the door yesterday was a lady who lived just a few blocks from the office.. go figure.

Here we have 3 levels for the snow.. level one means roads are slick and caution is advised. Level two means roads are dangerous and you should only go out if absolutely necessary. At this level if you have a car accident and there are no injuries and the cars are drivable you do not call the police... you exchange information then report to a station within 24 hours. Then the level three is roads are impassable and travel is NOT allowed (unless absolute emergency.) you may be ticketed and fined if you are out.

I am pretty well stocked up for this... got munchies.. movies.. chai tea... and games... and my Intercot!!!!

Magic Smiles
03-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Okay, we got our first dump of this current storm last night - 17 cm (7 inches) and today we are expecting another 20 cm - 30 cm (8 -12 inches). This will be our third storm this week, with the first being on Monday with a mix of freezing rain and snow. Wednesday we had 30 cm (12 inches). As CanadianFan stated, the city hasn't yet dug out from our last storm on Wednesday. Our snowbanks are up to the baskets on the basketball nets. Our neighbourhood streets which are usually the width of 3 cars are becoming single lanes.
As I sit hear typing this post it has once again begun to snow, as DH has just finished up snowblowing our driveway.

BouncingTigger
03-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Snowmaggedon :D

Seriously, though, I don't know how you all can stand that kind of weather. Brr!

It's been nice here all week - in the 70s. I kind of wish we would get some kind of extreme weather; a snow day would be awesome! Of course, class was canceled for a week in October because of the wildfires. Obviously snow days would be preferable to that!

I think the names given to different types of weather can be funny. A while ago in San Diego, we had "Heat Wave Apocalypse!"

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Snowmaggedon :D

Seriously, though, I don't know how you all can stand that kind of weather. Brr!

It's been nice here all week - in the 70s. I kind of wish we would get some kind of extreme weather; a snow day would be awesome! Of course, class was canceled for a week in October because of the wildfires. Obviously snow days would be preferable to that!

I think the names given to different types of weather can be funny. A while ago in San Diego, we had "Heat Wave Apocalypse!"

San Diego seems to have perfect weather all year. I had a friend in college that moved here for music and would complain 90% of the time. It was too hot, too cold, raining....something. I've been a couple of times - beautiful place!

kakn7294
03-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Yesterday, as I was at my mother's with no transportation home (Jeep was in the shop and not ready when expected), my 12 yo DD's bus shows up 20+ min late to take her home from school (I kept calling and not getting an answer at home) then 8 yo DD's bus is cancelled altogether meaning she's sitting at school with no way home. Fortunately, the Jeep was finally finished hours later than I expected it and DH was able to leave work early and pick Meg up at school. Usually, I don't mind the snow but that panicked feeling when I didn't know where my kids were and how they were getting home was horrible. And today, it's snowing again....and I work tonight!!!

Flower
03-08-2008, 03:35 PM
It is still coming down and swirling around out there still :snowball:...We are supposed to get more Sunday & Tuesday as well....It is below freezing :freeze:and we are pretty well housebound AGAIN!!!

DH started to take Brandon to sportsball this morning and he was home within a few minutes saying the roads were bad as they had not been plowed. The 2 of them left a little while ago to go swimming :swim:, hopefully they made it okay.

It feels like it is never going to end!!!!

Gooftroop5
03-08-2008, 03:45 PM
We were suppose to get rain switch to snow last night late last night well it started snowing and kept snowing. Then this morning I did make it out cause it switched to freezing rain & has been switching between that & rain all day. Dh & I just went out and knocked wet snow & ice off some of the trees to hopefully protect them. We are suppose to be getting more heavy wet snow & also some lake effect which we are in the dark area of the map. They aren't even starting to put out what they expect areas to get from that.

I agree with crazypoohbear. We don't have a # system we don't really get blizzards either. Ours goes more of light snow (anything under 8") medium snow (9"-18") this they might cancel school...its a big might.... anything over 18" is heavy snow then we get Lake effect and it can be anywhere from a dusting (see light snow) up to 2' plus in less than 8 hours. We don't get it as bad or as often as End of lake Erie/Buffalo or end of Lake Ontario/Oswego. We have gotten it where we get 2"-3" an hour. the thing with lake effect is it could be snowing here & less than 10 minutes away its sunny.

They do occasionally close roads or put up travel emergencies but they don't close the places of employment so you have to go no matter what. I use to work for a place that I called in because where we were living at the time was in the middle of a field with the drifting you could not see the road. I was given a hard time because I couldn't make it. I also was 15 minutes drive away with good weather. There was a co-worker that called in that was close enough that he could've walked and they never said anything to him:mad:

However I deal with the snow because other than this once and a while we don't have to worry about Tornadoes or Hurricanes. I rather shovel snow then shoveling my house after a wind swept through.

DNS
03-08-2008, 07:00 PM
We just got past an ice storm earlier this week and now the snow. It's beautiful, but we are under a snow emergency. It just stopped snowing about an hour ago. They're saying we got 18 to 20 inches. Lots of blowing and drifting. We have some drifts around the house that have to be 4 feet. All in all though, I'd far rather have the snow than the ice.

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Thursday it was around 70.......yesterday it got down into the 20's and we now have 1-2 inches of snow. Which is something considering it rarely snows here and usually it doesn't amount to anything. In the 16 years that I've been here I've only seen 3 times that there has been a snow storm. I'm ready for the warmer weather!:vacation:

Flower
03-09-2008, 08:26 AM
When Jay got home yesterday he shoveled the driveway around 11 am. We did not bother doing it at all yesterday because the snow just kept on coming - and it was :freeze:.

I just went outside to clean the walkway and there is at least 10 inches on our front walkway - I did not touch the driveway nor did I do the sidewalk :eek:

For now, the snow has stopped, but we are slated to get more over the next couple of days....What is going on? We normally have mild winters and by March Break the kids are out riding their bikes...This is just insane...

Only 20 more years until I can take early retirement:cool:

Magic Smiles
03-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Well it has finally stopped snowing here and according to the Weather Channel, Ottawa has the honour of receiving the most snow for this current storm - 50 cm (20 inches) Our 6 foot fence out the back is just about covered. Another storm like this and there will be no more fence to see. When the birds are sitting in the trees and bushes they are now at ground level. I feel bad for the birds and the wild animals as food must be hard to find now.
Here are some of my photos from the storm.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14729424@N02/sets/72157604077271566/

Gooftroop5
03-09-2008, 04:16 PM
This storm last night got weird. I was watching the weather channel (don't have cable but the tv in bedroom gets digital signal so we get weatherplus or whatever it is.) Watched the radar and it showed more freezing rain mix. Switched channels & got caught up in watching a show on Italy & dh was downstairs in living room watching tv with kids. I was getting ready to come downstairs when I see this flash thought it was a weird angle for car lights but didn't think anything of it until I heard the thunder. It was thundering lightening & hailing. We must have gotten a 1/4" of hail. The hail was still there this morning under the snow when dh & I shoveled.

Then when the storm was ending it started snowing & within minutes the car was completely covered as was the road & sidewalks (which I shoveled earlier yesterday). This was about 7ish last night. Its not the first time we got a thunderstorm in the middle of the winter however its not a good sign.

We were lucky & didn't lose power but they were around us. Around 9ish we heard a knock on the door. It was the fire department wondering if our cable was out. Dh told them we didn't get cable (the people before us did so the line still went to the house). They were happy to hear that & said they would cut it close to the house as possible. Sure enough we looked out & the cable was lying across the road. It was easy for them to remove the cable because it wasn't attatched to the house. Luckily no damage to the house. We figure that they were either coming back from another call or driving around to see if other wires were down. Dh is a firefighter at another company so we were listening to his pager last night and never heard any call for our road about wires being down. Overall we were very lucky & the sun is out today. PHEW!!!!!