PDA

View Full Version : CS vs. TS vs. Character Dining vs. Signature Dining

KateMW
01-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Tell me....everything. LOL

I think I get what a table service restaurant is, just like a typical sit-down dinner. Now, what would counter-service be like? I'm picturing a fast-food restaurant with hopefully better food. Am I close? There are tables right? If there are, do you have to wait for the tables like a sit down or are they first come, first serve? All character dining is sit-down, but some is buffet and some is plated right? Are there any that are al a carte? Also, what exactly is Signature Dining?

Thanks!:eat:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-04-2008, 12:37 PM

I think I get what a table service restaurant is, just like a typical sit-down dinner. Now, what would counter-service be like? I'm picturing a fast-food restaurant with hopefully better food. Am I close? There are tables right? If there are, do you have to wait for the tables like a sit down or are they first come, first serve? All character dining is sit-down, but some is buffet and some is plated right? Are there any that are al a carte? Also, what exactly is Signature Dining?

:blush: Yes, table service is the sit down meal where you wait to be seated. Counter service seating is first come first serve, and depending on where you are eating you may get burger fries combo, personal pizza and salad combo, sandwich/chips combo or at Epcot....wonderful CS selections like Mexican, Fish and chips at the UK, Asian selections, brats at Germany etc....Signature Dining is the more pricey table service and usually take two TS credits on the dining plan...as to character, there are buffet and ala carte depending on where you are, but most are buffet.

Tygger7
01-04-2008, 12:47 PM

Welcome to Intercot! Here's some info on dining based on my experiences:

Counter service: Basically fast food. You wait in line, order your food, pick it up, and go find a table to sit at. Be prepared though, just because it's counter service doesn't mean it's cheap. Our CS meals (for 2 adults & 2 teens) were $50-$65. Personally, I think the food is better than McD's, but it's still fast food. Oh, and tables are first come, first serve. We always tried to do our CS lunches on the early side to beat the crowds (11-11:30am).

Character dining: Great question! I was trying to think of what meals were buffet vs. plated. Honestly, the only "plated" meals I can think of are Cinderella's Round Table and Liberty Tree Tavern. I think all of the others are buffet (Crystal Palace, Chef Mickeys, etc.), but I'm not 100% sure.

A la cart items: Do you mean CS, TS, or character meals? A la cart items should be available most everywhere.

Signature Dining: This refers to Disney's top tier restaurants and dinner shows. They are well worth the money. Some of the best are Artist Point (Wilderness Lodge) & California Grill (Contemporary). Best dinner show is Hoop Dee Doo Review, and the Cinderella's Round Table is also considered Signature dining.

For more detailed info, check out InfoCentral here on Intercot. There is a TON of information about dining at WDW. Hope this helps! :mickey:

SBETigg
01-04-2008, 02:11 PM
CS dining will probably be called QS Dining on your Disney Dining Plan- Quick Service, and that's exactly what it is. There are lots of good QS places that we avoided for years due to our preference for table service meals, but I'm so glad we finally tried some. Tables are first-come, first-serve and not a problem to find at most CS places, but some do get crowded at busy times.

Table Service is what you expect-- you are served by a staff and they're either with menus, price-fixe(or family style), or buffet.

All character meals are Table Service meals. Most are buffet but some are family style with a set menu, like Liberty Tree Tavern, Garden Grill, or 'Ohana (characters at breakfast, not at dinner). The characters visit each table and spend some individual time with your family that way- great for pictures.

If you like finer dining, you will definitely want to try some of the Signature dining. These are considered the more upscale restaurants and we've found the dining to be superior at the Signature places, which do welcome and allow children as well. California Grill and Narcoossee's are two to put on the list, but Artist Point, Jiko, and Flying Fish, and most of the others, draw raves as well.

katzctkpt
01-06-2008, 12:04 AM
All the post above have hit it exactly correct.
This is my opinion. Depending on your length of stay and if you like every minute planned then you may want to have ADR's for TS meals. Character dining that we've done has been buffet and probably my fave was 1900 Park Fare and Chef Mickey. Myself and family have decided that we like fly by our seat meals after this past trip so, we may make 1 or possibly 2 TS ressies and the rest will be CS. We love the CS meals at the POR resort and Epcot's United Kingdom fish & chips, MGM's turkey legs, MK Columbia Harbor House and Cosmic Rays. These are just a few. There are so many places to choose from you won't go hungry.

jszczur5
01-06-2008, 01:13 AM
[QUOTE=katzctkpt;1508874] Myself and family have decided that we like fly by our seat meals after this past trip so, we may make 1 or possibly 2 TS ressies and the rest will be CS. QUOTE]

This is how we used to do it also - before DDP. If, however, you are using the DDP, you have to plan your trip around your TS ADR's. Most of the TS restaurants we ate at last summer were turning away all walk-ups.
If you end up using DDP TS credits on CS meals because you hadn't made ADR's, then you've not received full value for your money. We met a family last year that was on the Free Dining plan, and didn't really understand what their travel agent meant about ADR's (or didn't believe her), and ended up only getting 4 TS meals out of 7, and spending the extras on CS meals at Everything POP. Of the TS meals they did get in to, 2 of them were for places that they wouldn't normally have eaten at, except for the fact that the were able to have the hotel concierge/guest services desk find them some openings later in the week.
That being said, it was a bit of a hassle planning our entire trip around our ADR's. The fact that the DDP was free at the time made it worth it however.

animalkingdomguy
01-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Confession Time: After a hard day of fun when I'm hungry and just want to eat I find the Character dining an annoyance. But, I always remember that this is a family vacation and my kids deserve some fun as well so I get back into the spirit of the occasion take the pictures and video. Then I eat.