PDA

View Full Version : May 2009

WriteDisney
01-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Okay, I'm beginning to plan our 2009 trip and I'm trying to decide on a month. I'm already going on a big trip in september, so taking another week off during the fall is out. Originally I was thinking of a post-Christmas trip, but I don't really want to battle the crowds (or the prices). So now I'm thinking of sometime in the spring. I want to try to avoid peak season rates, so I'm thinking of trying to go in May. What are the pro's and con's? What did you like or dislike about it? How were crowds and prices? Weather? Is April any better?

Thanks! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Can't speak for the crowds, but May will be significantly warmer....April may be a little more pleasant weather wise....

PetefromRI
01-04-2008, 02:46 PM
We love early May.The crowds are small,the weather is warm,and flying out of Providence,RI we don't have to worry about snowstorms or hurricanes.The only possible negative is that the Love Bugs may be around although they don't bother us much.That's our favorite time to go and the weather is still pretty cool in the Northeast so we really love Florida in May.

KylesMom
01-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Before DS was in school, we loved going in early to Mid May. The only drawbacks we would find is that park hours were not lengthened until towards the middle to end of the month, and we'd run into a lot of local visitors and school field trips since seasonal pass blackouts hadn't yet started. However, it was MUCH less crowded than true Summer months (June/July).

Note that we like the warmer weather in Florida (we're going in July/August this year), but May can be quite hot & humid as well. Easter falls on April 12 in 2009, so you'd want to look toward the end of the month to avoid peak season rates. :mickey:

Tink#64
01-04-2008, 09:37 PM
We've been in mid May 3 x, and the last week of May 1 x. We love May! Our experiences have been that mornings can be a little cool, 60's, but our days have averaged 80's to low 90's! We've had rain one day on each trip, but only lasted a couple of hours & didn't slow us down at all. We definitely prefer earlier in May to the last week - the week leading up to the MD holiday is noticeably more crowded. Alot of schools are already out, and others pulled kids since it was the last week. We noticed as soon as we arrived on the weekend prior to the holiday weekend that it was more crowded! The crowds grew as the week progressed! By the holiday weekend, we couldn't believe the crowds! One of our bus drivers said that that was nothing! But for us it was a huge difference from previous trips! It was still manageable, but it was warmer & it took a little more juggling & manuevering to do all that we wanted around the larger crowds. But I'm sure that the crowd level is probably higher in the summer, and any day at Disney is better than any where else!

Earlier May, we've never waited more than 20 minutes in a stand by line and that was only for major rides! Of course we do a lot of FP, but crowds are very manageable.

I know here in KY our sping break is usually somewhere between mid March to mid April, so I would not opt to visit during April for that reason. One thing that you might encounter in May would be groups of kids on field trips to Epcot. But those are fairly easy to navigate around.

For us May has also been great! I hope it will be for you too!:tink:

faline
01-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Early May is a great time to visit. Weather is usually quite nice and already quite hot. Lines are generallly manageable and you have the Flower and Garden show as well.

By the end of May, some school systems are letting out for the summer and crowds begin to increase.