PDA

View Full Version : Are Cast Members unhappy???

Camping Mom
01-03-2008, 06:16 PM
We just returned from a wonderful trip to Disney over Christmas. Now I know this time of year can be stressful, especially with all of the early park openings and the late nights the parks stay open...but, what is with the unhappiness from the cast members???

In our entire 8 day stay, I saw ONE cast member who looked like she was having a ball. She stopped in front of a group who wanted a picture and she sang Christmas carols with them. We had two wait staff at the Tusker House and Norway's Princess breakfast who were wonderful and friendly. The one we had at Crystal Palace acted as if we bothered him when asking for more juice.

One cast member at BTM, glumly stood on the "side you exit" and just pointed! I saw more frowns and short tempers this time than I ever had before...and we have been at Christmas 3 times!!!

Where are all the happy smiling cast members? They play such a big part in having a magical day at the parks and resorts!! I think some of their magic has disappeared!

pink
01-03-2008, 06:43 PM
I've never been to WDW during the holidays but I have to agree with what you said. We usually go to Disney once a year and everytime I feel like the cast members get less and less happy about their jobs. It's kind of depressing but then there are always those select few castmembers who are amazing and turn it all around. :mickey:

MiaBella
01-03-2008, 07:14 PM
I am about to go to Disney in about 14 days :mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:I am wondering has anyone complained to anyone about the well "service" that these people are providing? I mean after all this is what we are paying for when we go there and pay the price of the ticket/ eat there food / and stay in there hotels and pay to park etc. Am i wrong here? Just wondering
Hope everyone has a wonderful day :)

showmethemouse
01-03-2008, 07:19 PM
I' also never been to WDW during the holidays but I have to agree with what you guys said. I only been to Disney three times and every time I feel like some cast members are not so happy about their jobs or not even helpful when you need they help. It's kind of depressing but then there are always those select few cast members who go the extra mile for you and are amazing and turn it all around.

Pipalotta
01-03-2008, 08:49 PM
The fact is these people are probably over worked, under paid, and generally treated like gum on the bottum of someones shoes. Yes it is their job to be friendly and happy but some people have a hard time sucking it up. Another thing to think about it, while you are one vacation at christmas time with your family, many of these people work far from home and would be lucky to talk to their families on Christmas let alone actually see them. Its just like anything else around Christmas time, the stress is a killer for these people as well.

ibrowse17
01-03-2008, 08:55 PM
I heard a few CM's complaining about having to work on Christmas Day. These were CM's working in shops in the MK, that were talking to each other as if no one else was around.

DizneyRox
01-03-2008, 11:13 PM
There are many reasons, pay would probably be one of the big ones. Disney has run out of locals to hire (needing a staff of 55,000 people will do that to you), so, instead of raising the pay o attract quality candidates, they have ventured out on their normal hiring radius. The quality of CM that they are hiring now (well the majority of them) just isn't even close to what is necessary. They don't have much of a work ethic, etc. This wears on the good CMs as they are now getting the less desirable hours, having to pick up the slack for the people who don't show up, AND are still making less than they should.

Disney really needs to wake up. I'm really hoping that as more and more people figure out the declining quality of a DIsney vacation it actually impacts their bottom line. Maybe then they will wise up, unfortunately, what I think will happen is they will make even more cutbacks making things even worse. The perception to the customers just doesn't seem to sink in these days.

And, yes I do realize there are some quality CMs out there. Just not as many as there used to be. Yes, I go enough to see and recognize many of the CMs. No, I don't know their names, but yes, some are familiar. These days there are more newer faces and less famlliar faces. Not a good trend in my book...

SurferStitch
01-04-2008, 06:43 AM
I don't know....

They seemed awfully cheerful and happy when we were there in December. We had many spirited conversations with CM's, and they were almost always the ones to initiate the conversation.

Sure, there were a few here and there that wouldn't crack a smile, but I kind of expect that. Some people are just plain boring. I did find a couple character CM's (the ones who control the lines) to be kind of rude, so they got the same attitude back (I know I shouldn't stoop to that, but I can't help it).

Our servers were really friendly wherever we ate. CM's in the stores always seemed ready and willing to help. DH an I even commented on how friendly most of the CM's seemed to be all over the parks.

bleukarma
01-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately to be a happy Disney employee you have to truly love your job, and unfortunately Disney makes it kind of hard. The pay is about $7.25/hour which is nowhere near what you need to live in Florida. As a result most CM’s pick up extra hours, which means they are at the park around the clock. When I had my Disney interview I was told that the likelihood of me having a weekend off or a holiday off was slim-to-none. So you have the stress of making your bills, plus the stress of having no free time, and the stress of working in customer service industry and its just a stressful situations that these CM’s are in. They never get to see their family and friends and when they do they normally spend it at Disney because it’s free for them and they really can’t afford to do anything else based on what Disney pays them. Free Disney sounds like a delight to us, but to someone that works there around the clock it probably isn’t as spectacular.

I joke that if I ever win the lottery then I want to work at Disney. It’s really the only way that I can afford to, unless I want to get into the vicious cycle that other CM’s go through (work long and extra hours to make my bills and spend my free time at Disney because it’s all I can afford). I think that would take away the Disney magic.

Now, I’m not saying that CM’s should be rude. Unfortunately, It’s just a byproduct the stress they are all under.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-04-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm so glad some people on here understand or at last sympathize with what we go through. I can say I am the one who truly loves my job, therefore I am the happy CM. But I live by the law of giving what you get. And yes, if there are rude and yelling guests, I'm not as friendly - not rude or mean, just...not friendly. And a lot of ranting backstage.

And yes, my family comes to visit me....at Disney. And when I am off, I spend my free time with other CM's...at Disney. Or PI...since it's also free.

Really, I think every Guest should be required to work one day one property, in the middle of peak season (preferrably on New Year's Eve). And then explain why not all CM's are a bundle of roses.

BTW, I get paid $7.30!

joanna71985
01-04-2008, 11:57 PM
I know CMs can be upset about work conditions. But they shouldn't bring it out on stage with them. I love working at Disney. I don't care about the wages. I work at Disney because I love it, not because of how much I get paid.

DizneyRox
01-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Really, I think every Guest should be required to work one day one property, in the middle of peak season (preferrably on New Year's Eve).
And where do I sign up for this? Just show m the line... Unfortunately, distances prevents this, but really I would sign up for this in a second!!!

Boost
01-05-2008, 03:59 PM
On the subject of stress...

I worked at EPCOT in '88 at a gift shop called the Centorium. It is still a gift shop, but called something else. I believe it is across from the Electric Umbrella restaurant.

Anyhoo, the job had no stress whatsoever. There were times that we were busy, but I never felt stressed out and I was never rude to guests, even if I had a bad day.

Not saying that I am perfect, but there are more stressful jobs out there than working for Disney...

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-06-2008, 04:03 AM
Lol, DisneyRox. I didn't mean for that to be a positive experience (although there are certainly a lot of time when it is).

I'm not here for money either. I'm here for the emotional reward more than anything and I proudly admit to being a CM.

Not like Disney doesn't get the majority of my money back anyways. All the cool figures and shirts.

#1donaldfan
01-06-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but CM's are human too, away from family....yes, they are there for our pleasure, but maybe it was just a bad day, or maybe they just rec'd a negative call or something.....maybe it's up to US to sometimes put the smiles back on THEIR faces....it's a two way street........

luvdiznee
01-06-2008, 11:01 AM
That is what I was hoping to accomplish when I had the kids and myself give out candy canes last year at Xmas. Most CM's were receptive to it. We did it at our resort. We also did it this year again. :thumbsup:

teamblackwell
01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
I am about to go to Disney in about 14 days :mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:I am wondering has anyone complained to anyone about the well "service" that these people are providing? I mean after all this is what we are paying for when we go there and pay the price of the ticket/ eat there food / and stay in there hotels and pay to park etc. Am i wrong here? Just wondering
Hope everyone has a wonderful day :)

I don't think your wrong, however, the money we pay to go to Disney is not doled out the way it should be. Most of our money goes to linning the pockets of the CEO(high salary plus huge bonuses) and not to the hard working CM's.