PDA

View Full Version : My day trip to Disneyland PARIS!!! (part 1)

DisneyDudet
01-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Alright, this has taken me a while to make, but better late than never!

Cast:
Me
Best Friend- Michele

So, on December 14 (day after my birthday), we get up super early and walk the couple miles to the train station that will take us directly to Disneyland Paris. We didn't want to bother with the Metro Stations that had to transfer a few times to get to a station, so we decided to brave the sub zero (in Celsius) and walk. Once we get to the RER station, we are completely lost. They have no manned ticket counter, so we are at a machine. We try to use it, but apparently its to add on days to a monthly card. Then, this nice man (very rare in Paris) came up to us and asked if we needed help. We said yes, as we speak VERY little French. We told him which stop (Marne-la-Valle) and he went to help us. Well, we needed two, so we decided to start over, and click the English tab so we could see what was going on. It was funny, we had to mess with it with French prompts before it asked if we wanted it in English. Strange. Anyway, well, since American Credit cards do not have chips in them, we couldn't used our credit cards. We put in our Euros (very expensive train ride!), and race to the track, as there is a train just about to leave!! We make it there, with no sitting room. There we are, standing, with a bunch of people, sweating.

Anyway, after about a 30-45 min train ride, there we were at the station. We go up the escalators and exit. There were signs for the parks. The Disney Village (much like DTD) was behind the station, and Walt Disney Studios was to the left, and Disneyland was to the right. The plaza between all these things was very nice. We went through the oh so Disney security (much like American parks) and take pictures. Now, it was VERY foggy and the ground was wet, so the pictures aren't gorgeous, but still. The Mickey face in flowers was right in front of the Disneyland Hotel. You have to walk under the hotel to get to the entrance of Disney. This is where the ticket booths are. We were going to do two days, but since we lost a day d/t weather and airline stupidity, we were down a day total. We thought we'd do Disney for a day and if we needed to do more, we'd just come back our last day. Anyway, so we bought a two park, one day pass. It was the best deal there, so we were happy. We entered and turned around, there was the Disneyland hotel again! It seems that there could be some rooms that face Disneyland Park. There was obviously a restaurant that faced the park, but I don't know about rooms. What a time that would be. We walk under the train station, and it was like being at Disney World again! I mean, pretty much everything is the same. Disneyland in Cali is much smaller, so this had a feel of Disney World, being all spread out. They had the HUGE tree and gazebo. Santa Goofy was out taking pic in a sleigh, but we opted not to do that. We had arrived prior to official opening. All of the guests at the Disneyland Paris hotels had EMH. I believe they do this every morning, but I'm not sure. We get to rope drop (which is like the old school way, where people run) and nearly get run over! We head straight for Space Mountain: Mission 2. The queue area is obviously made for A LOT of people, and is quite long. Part of the queue is indoors, but mostly outside. We get to the loading area, and were told to go to our little area. The trains look like RnRC train, with over the shoulder harnesses. We get ready to go, and there is a lift hill. I thought we would ascent like at EE, but nope. You shoot off, much like RnRC, with fog and red lights like at Disneyland. It is fast with music and lasers, lights, fog, and projected space scenes. There are twists and loops and everything. It was so neat! I loved it. By far the best Space Mountain!

After that, we decide to do Buzz Lightyear. It is more like Disneyland's version, where you actually get to hold your "gun." I got a wicked high score, which was awesome!

After that, we decided to head over to Phantom Manor. Its their Haunted Mansion. The house looks like the Bates Motel and you actually go through the front door. The picture about the fireplace is of the bride. You get a pretty good story in this ride, with a lot of it going around the bride. The stretch room is an elevator, like Disneyland's. Everything in the pre show is in French, but its fun. You have a little walk through area, with the pictures and all. The boarding area is very intricate, with a grand staircase on the opposite side of the doombuggies. Very pretty. A lot of the scenes are similar. The music is REALLY different. The attic scenes have the bride in it. Its does a better job at showing the story. Instead of a graveyard, you go through a crypt and then go underground, where there's a western town (it is actually set in Frontierland here). The ghosts are having their "swinging wake" here in this town with guns and all. Now, this is a much darker ride, with things that are MUCH scarier than either of the American versions, which is very interesting. After this was over, we opted not to do BTMRR, as it was wet, and looked really similar to DL's and WDW's version. We wanted to hit my faves and anything not in America. We head to the Indiana Jones ride, which is a small rollar coaster with one loop. It is fast and it beats you to death! Could have done without it. After that, we head to PotC. It has the feel of DLR's version, only without the story teller. There are some scenes that are different, but it was mostly the same. Same song and all. There were some things in french and then english. Pirates speaking french was funny!

After that, we headed over to Fantasyland to do Peter Pan (couldn't pass it up!). We wait for about 30 min, and make it through. The people over there have no consideration for personal space, hitting me in the back and pretty much breathing down my neck in line. In fact, I had a little ripped spot on my pants and the man stepped on it as I tried to walk and it ripped! It was loud and the couple both knew what he did and said NOTHING. I was so mad. The ride was about the same, with the bits of french thrown in there. We finally found a stand with scissors so I could cut my ripped pants, and we were good to go. Fantasyland was very crowded and small. Most of the rides had FastPasses, but we opted not to use it. Pinocchio had a 55 min wait, but I had ridden in in Cali, so it was ok for me not to ride it. We went up into the castle to see the stained glass windows and tapestries that tell the story of Sleeping Beauty. This was very neat. At the point in the story where everyone was put under the spell of sleep, they had some knights standing around, leaning on the wall of over their weapons. You could hear snoring! What a touch! Then, you could go outside on a balcony and see Fantasyland! It was very neat. Then, we found our way into the dungeon with the Dragon! The dragon is sleeping, and every few minutes, he wakes up! That was pretty neat. It is so big and so lifelike (well, what you would think would be lifelike for a dragon!).

We then take some pictures of the castle, and head to Casey's for lunch. There is a million people there! We finally wait around for a table (this is what Paris is like apparently.. everywhere) and get one. I stand in line for what seems like ever, and while I'm waiting, I price out the cost of just hotdogs, fries, and one drink. Their meals come with a hotdog, fries, dessert and drink (plus beer for a euro more... shame!), so I figured that we didn't need the dessert and two drinks so, yeah.. got the hotdog and fries. They are not normal hotdogs from Caseys! They didn't taste the same. Plus, when I asked for mustard, they gave me dijon. So not the same! Anyway, we eat in a hurry, as we were cold and people were waiting. We head out, looking in the shops (which are very disappointing, as its the same small selection everywhere). We walk out and head to Disney Studios.

Since I'm pretty worn out, I will finish the day in another post! Look for it!

artyboy
01-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks for posting...I'll be posting my DLRP trip report soon!
:mickey:

BronxTigger
01-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip report! I've been waiting for it. ;)

MauiMouse
01-03-2008, 06:11 PM
I agree, the dragon and the stain glass windows in the castle are amazing. Big Thunder is a little different than at Disneyland and WDW as you actually go under the waterway and make your way over to an island where the train runs. They also take your photo too.

Looking forward to seeing what you think about Walt Disney Studios.

tinkerbell04
01-04-2008, 09:40 AM
I am enjoying the report so far and will be looking or part two! :mickey:

TiggeRia
01-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Thank you so much for sharing...can't wait to read the next installment! :mickey:

faline
01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
It's a place I hope to visit one day. Thanks for your report!

DisneyorBust
01-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks for taking the time to share your day in Disneyland Paris with us. I've wondered what the differences were like from a guests standpoint.

mouseketeer mom
01-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Oh my gosh. That is soooo neat. Thanks!!! I loved it!

harlowandthemermaid
01-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip, it sounds very interesting so far!

pdrlkr
01-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

RedheadWriter
01-07-2008, 11:28 AM
I went to DL Paris in 1993 a year after it opened. There was VERY little there, but I did do Snow White, Phantom Manor, Pirates and It's a Small World.
I would love ot go back again!

Here we go again...
01-08-2008, 08:10 AM
It's about time!!
You told me that the people over invaded your space a little. Now I see what you mean.
Yup, next time I have to go to protect you. ;)
I am looking forward to the conclusion and PICTURES!

DizNee143
01-09-2008, 03:57 PM
wow it all sounds pretty cool...cant wait to read about the rest of your day!! :mickey:

Hair_Razor
01-09-2008, 09:46 PM
I would love to check our DLP I am so jealous, sounds like you had fun :)

vizsla
01-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the report.