PDA

View Full Version : Vivien's First Trip-Part 1

harlowandthemermaid
01-03-2008, 02:24 PM
The players: My mom, me and Baby Vivien(dec 8-16) Jeff, me, and Viv(dec 16-21)

We started our long trek to Orlando on December 8 and managed to make it to Savannah before stopping for the night. After weighing all the pros and cons of transportation options we decided to rent a mini van for this trip, which proved to have advantages and disadvantages. It was great to have all of that extra room, but of course we stuffed it full of extra junk to lug around. The one thing that we could not fit (but wanted to) was an extra stroller. I had decided to bring the carseat carrier stroller because it was smaller than the travel system stroller. My original plan was to buy a smaller stroller like a combi or Maclaren before the trip but it didn’t pan out. The stroller decision was one I would come to regret.
We only had 4 or 5 hours to drive on the second day and after a pit stop at The Manatee Café in St Augustine we were headed to Orlando. Our reservation at the Beach Club didn’t start until the 10th but I had received an email offer from the Radisson in Celebration for $59 so we decided to take advantage of that for one night. The hotel was okay for one night but I wouldn’t want to spend a whole vacation there. The beds were comfy but the atmosphere was very sterile at the hotel and the staff was somewhat unpleasant.
After a little rest we decided to hit Downtown Disney to buy our park passes and have some dinner. We had sandwiches at the Earl of Sandwich and went in a few shops to get some Christmas present ideas before enjoying our first YUMMY Ghirardelli hot fudge sundae! I love love love their hot fudge sundae, I had been craving one for over a year. After our ice cream Viv started letting us know she was ready for bed so we headed back for much needed rest before the vacation truly began.

Monday December 10th
Today is check in day at the Beach Club but we decided to go to MK for a few hours first. To start the trip right we headed to the Polynesian for breakfast at the Kona Café, another one of my faves. I had the Macadamia Pineapple pancakes and they may just be the best pancakes I’ve ever had. We took a few pics at the resort and then hopped on the monorail over to the Magic Kingdom. Of course by now it was after 11 and since it was Monday the crowds were starting to thicken. We decided we wouldn’t ride anything with much of a wait so we decided to let Vivien’s first ride be the carousel.
WE had gotten a fastpass for Pooh so that was our next stop. Vivien loves the My friends Tigger and Pooh show so I’d hoped for a response on this ride but I think she was a little tired and was pretty chilled out for most of the ride. I was excited to see Pooh, Tigger, AND Darby meeting guests near the ride but when I got there they were getting ready to take a break. My mom suggested Mickey’s Philharmagic , which is a sentimental fave so that was our next stop. I figured if Vivien wasn’t interested it would be an ideal place to nurse her since it was dark and we were on the end of the row. She actually really enjoyed it and so did I, but it was a little bittersweet since it made me recall the many times we watched it with Sam. He would always get startled and jump when Donald lands on Big Ben in the Peter Pan section. It’s strange the effect that Philharmagic has had on me, whenever I hear “I just can’t wait to be king” I actually think of the scene in Philharmagic and not in the Lion King. For some reason, this was the only time we watched Philharmagic and I’m not sure why. It’s like I forgot it was there for the rest of the trip. Too bad…..
By this time I think Viv was ready for a nap so we just sat around and talked and since neither of us felt like riding anything we headed to Adventureland for a tasty Pineapple Dole Whip. At some point Vivien woke up so she could have a taste. ;)
It was getting dangerously close to parade time so we decided to make a break for it and go check in to our room at the wonderful Beach Club. I kept telling my mom that the vacation didn’t officially begin until we checked in and I could stop carrying a bunch of bags around.
Bell services looked at us like we were crazy when I opened the van. It looked like a disaster area and by the time we loaded up the cart with the 2 cases of bottled water, multiple suitcases, snack bags, toy bags, bouncy chair, boppy pillow, etc etc we had 17 pieces of luggage. Luckily we were checked in and off to our room quickly , I think it was room 1512. We were all the way on the end by Epcot(first floor) which was a good thing and a bad thing. The good thing is that we walked out of our room and the walkway to Epcot was right there. The bad thing is that we were pretty far from the lobby and Stormalong Bay. I guess that’s what happens when you are all the way at the end of the resort, you become very separated from some of its amenties. But I really liked the idea of being so close to Epcot, and it was also a very short walk to the Boardwalk.
The room was plenty spacious and we loved the decorations, plus it had a daybed and minifridge. It had been a while since my mom and I had stayed in a deluxe resort together as this is a splurge that we can’t afford very often.
Before long it was time to head to our dinner reservation at Cape May Café, conveniently located in the Beach Club lobby. Unfortunately, the wait was long and Vivien started getting cranky very shortly after we were seated. She did eat dinner and we managed to enjoy a lot of tasty choices on the buffet as well as some delicious desserts before she let us know that she was done. Cape May specializes in seafood but I honestly think I didn’t have any. I think I tried every dessert though!
Vivien fell asleep so we decided to head over to Epcot to watch Illuminations. Yes, a loud fireworks show with a sleeping baby, I must be crazy. I had her ears covered very well and she did indeed sleep through almost the whole thing. We decided to head out during the very loud finale to the holiday tag and that is when she woke up and looked very confused by the noise and the insane amount of fireworks lighting up the sky. I think we were watching in Morocco so we had a few countries to walk through before heading out of the International Gateway. It was nice to pretty much just walk around the corner and be back in our room to enjoy a very nice rest on the super comfy Beach Club bed.
Next up: Epcot by day and a plan change

KylesMom
01-03-2008, 04:18 PM
It's such a pleasure reading about Vivien's first Disney Vacation! I'm glad you arrived safe and sound, and can't wait to hear more about your experiences. This is going to be a wonderful trip! :mickey:

MauiMouse
01-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Mel, sounds like a great start with your mom and Vivien. Your room location does sound perfect for an escape over to Epcot. :mickey:

Melanie
01-03-2008, 06:18 PM
A very nice start to your vacation, Mel. Looking forward to reading about it all! :mickey:

*tinker_belle*
01-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I enjoyed reading you report and can't wait for more!
By the way, I am incredibly touched by your story about Sam. I know all too well about the devastation of childhood cancer. My baby sister battled it and left this earth at the tender age of 8 years. God Bless you guys!

Emily
01-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Since I didn't get to see you very much at all on that trip I'm glad you're posting trip reports! :) Loved the pics and can't wait to read more about y'all's adventures! I'm jealous about the Beach Club... I really want to stay there! I just LOVE that area so much.

LilHooligan74
01-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun. I remember the first time we were able to make a day trip to Disney Studios. My youngest was just about four months old. It was amazing to watch her look around in wonder and amazement. Thanks for sharing!

offwego
01-04-2008, 10:10 AM
What a nice day. I'm so glad your having a good time with your Mom & daughter. You deserve every dessert you sample!!!

princessgirls
01-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Mel,

What a great first day with precious baby Vivien. I know the trip brings back bittersweet memories for you, and they will always be so special. Vivien will add some new memories.

Thanks for sharing.

Julie:mickey:

faline
01-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Mel, it's really good to read a trip report by you!

I'm glad you and your mom have gotten a chance to bring Vivien to Disney World! You'll all off to a great start!

Piglet822
01-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Your vacation is getting off to a good start - I wish I could have been there to see some of Viv's reactions, she's a beautiful baby :baby:

pdrlkr
01-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

ChipnDaleGal
01-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Sounds like the three of you are off to a really great start, Mel. Thanks for sharing. :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
01-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks for sharing your first day with us. I hope baby Viv loves disney as much as her big brother would want her too. :angel: You know Sam is watching over you all.

RedheadWriter
01-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Sounds like a great day!:thumbsup:

Beach Club Babe
01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Sounds like you are off to a great start! It sounds like baby Vivien is enjoying her first trip!

TBY2225
01-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks so much for sharing your special memories with us! I can't wait to read the rest of your reports.

vizsla
01-11-2008, 05:13 AM
Sounds like your off to a great start. Thanks for the report.

mrsgaribaldi
01-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

Momof2boys
01-15-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm sure these are just the start of very many memories that Vivien will have at Disney World. Can't wait to read more . . .

Bethis26fan
01-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Sounds like a nice start to your trip.