PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone NOT Use a Microwave?

mjaclyn
01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I just had a conversation with my boss about Microwaves. She said she doesn't use them anymore and she also doesn't use anything made of plastic for storage. She said it's especially dangerous to heat plasticware in the microwave, even if it's deemed 'safe'. I have a 14mos old DD at home and, of course, I want to make our house as safe as possible...but where do you draw the line? I'm sure there is some inherent danger in anything we use from the microwave to toothpaste. Is it really that dangerous? Has anyone else given it up for safety reasons?

offwego
01-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I haven't given it up for safety reasons per se, but we don't have one and I don't use one since I can't stand the texture it often gives. (plus the space they take up)

prprincess
01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I haven't given it up for safety reasons, but I do try to limit using it. Only becuase I prefer cooking on the stovetop and in the oven. But there are times when I have no choice, like when I bring my lunch to work. All we have in our kitchen here is a microwave.

princessjojo
01-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I couldn't imagine not using my microwave or plastic containers for that matter. But I do understand the inherent dangers involved. I don't know that they are any more dangerous than anything else we put into or on our bodies. Though I respect those opinions of those who think highly of these concerns, I also feel that organic foods aren't always as safe as they are promoted either. Afterall, the arguement there is often chemicals and antibiotics and if animal "poop" is used as the only fertilizer, then it must only come from those animals that are antibiotic free. When the animal becomes sick, you must therefore no longer use this anmal for a foodsource or fertilizer source either.

Anyway, it's a great debate on either side. I don't always use organic, only because it is often too expensive. It merely comes down to a decision you must make and be comfortable with for you and your family.

DizneyRox
01-03-2008, 01:18 PM
I grew up in a house filled with lead paint, a gas oven that heated the place, and a pantry filled with cleaning chemicals easily accessible to even the smallest child. I turned out fine...

I don't think a microwave or plastic containers are anything to worry about.

SBETigg
01-03-2008, 01:24 PM
The microwave and plastic containers supposedly causing cancer issue is an urban legend- complete myth! A little internet research could prove her wrong (not that you want to do that, since she's your boss).

I shouldn't say complete myth, since using plastics deemed inappropriate for microwave cooking could be dangerous. But if you use plastic products that are labeled safe for microwave use, you have nothing to worry about, according to medical researchers at Johns Hopkins and Harvard who made statements to dispel the circulating urban legends.

Disney Doll
01-03-2008, 03:37 PM
My mom is a stickler about using glass only in the microwave- no plastics, but she's also a cancer survivor so I can understand if she wants to go above and beyond to avoid potential cancer risks. I don't microwave that much so I don't really worry about it.

Caroleh
01-03-2008, 07:02 PM
I haven't given it up for safety reasons per se, but we don't have one and I don't use one since I can't stand the texture it often gives. (plus the space they take up)

Now I know why I like you!!! We don't have one because we feel we don't need one. I've had people look at me in dis-belief wondering how in the world do I make popcorn. I tell them I pop it on the stove. They are shocked!! They act like they never heard of such a thing. We feel that we can take the time and do things a little slower!!

AZ Disney
01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Microwaving Your Food Isn't Safe
by Larry Cook
If you have ever wondered whether or not microwaved food is safe, here's an experiment you can do at
home. Plant seeds in two pots. Water one pot with water that has been microwaved, the other with regular
tap. The seeds that received microwaved water won't sprout. If microwaved water can stop plants from
growing, think of what microwaved food can do to your health!
In 1989, Swiss biologist and food scientist Dr. Hans Hertel studied the effects of microwaved food. Eight
people participated in the study. For eight weeks, they lived in a controlled environment and
intermittently ate raw foods, conventionally cooked foods and microwaved foods. Blood samples were
tested after each meal. They discovered that eating microwaved food, over time, causes significant
changes in blood chemistry:1 a decrease in hemoglobin and cholesterol values, in the HDL (good
cholesterol) versus LDL (bad cholesterol) ratio and in white blood cells, weakening the immune system,
and an increase in leukocyte levels, which tends to indicate poisoning and cell damage.
Overall, the study suggested that eating microwaved foods can cause degenerative diseases and/or
cancer.2 "The measurable effects on man through the ingestion of microwaved food, unlike untreated
food, are blood alterations, that can also be found at the beginning of a pathological condition, also
indicative of a beginning cancerous process," wrote Dr. Bernard Blanc, who assisted in the study.3
Microwave ovens "cook" food by forcing the atoms, molecules and cells within the food to reverse
polarity billions of times per second, causing friction-the more the friction, the more the heat. This
oscillation tears and deforms the molecular structure of food. New compounds are formed, called
radiolytic compounds, which are not found in nature. Interestingly, microwaves are actually used in genealtering
technology to deliberately break cells and neutralize their "life-force" so they can be manipulated.
Microwaves destroy the life-force that gives food its vitality and nourishment. When this life-force
dissipates, microorganisms start breaking food down and it begins to rot.
In early 1991, a lawsuit was filed against an Oklahoma hospital because a patient died form receiving a
microwaved blood transfusion. Hospitals routinely heat blood for transfusion, but not in a microwave.
The effects of microwaving breast milk have also been researched. John Kerner, M.D. and Richard Quin,
M.D. from Stanford University said that "Microwaving human milk, even at a low setting, can destroy
some of its important disease-fighting capabilities."4 After more research, Kerner wrote in the April 1992
issue of Pediatrics that "Microwaving itself may in fact cause some injury to the milk above and beyond
the heating." And a radio announcement at the University of Minnesota said that "Microwaves are not
recommended for heating a baby's bottle. Heating the bottle in a microwave can cause slight changes in
the milk. In infant formulas there may be a loss of some vitamins. In expressed milk, some protective
properties may be destroyed."5 Another study in Vienna warned that microwaving breast milk "can lead
to structural, functional and immunological changes," and that microwaves transform the amino acid Lproline
into D-proline, a proven toxin to the nervous system, liver and kidneys.6
In Russia, microwave ovens were banned in 1976 because of their negative health consequences and
many studies were conducted on their use. Here are some of their findings on microwaving food:
1. Microwaved foods lose 60 ~ 90% of the vital-energy field and microwaving accelerates the structural
disintegration of foods.
2. Microwaving creates cancer-causing agents within milk and cereals.
3. Microwaving alters elemental food-substances, causing digestive disorders.
4. Microwaving alters food chemistry which can lead to malfunctions in the lymphatic system and
degeneration of the body's ability to protect itself against cancerous growths.
5. Microwaved foods lead to a higher percentage of cancerous cells in the bloodstream.
6. Microwaving altered the breakdown of elemental substances when raw, cooked, or frozen vegetables
were exposed for even a very short time and free radicals were formed.
7. Microwaved foods caused stomach and intestinal cancerous growths, a general degeneration of
peripheral cellular tissues, and a gradual breakdown of the digestive and excretive systems in a
statistically high percentage of people.
8. Microwaved foods lowered the body's ability of the body to utilize B-complex vitamins, Vitamin C,
Vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotropics.
9. The microwave field next to a microwave oven caused a slew of health problems as well.
Aside form these studies, many people find that microwaving their food doesn't help them feel good.
Stephanie Relfe, Kinesiologist, found herself feeling "grey and rather low" one day and discovered that
she had inadvertently eaten microwaved food at a restaurant.8 In her practice, she found that all of her
patients gave body signals of having allergic reactions to microwaved foods. Another Kinesiologist,
David Bridgeman, said, "Of all the people I test for allergies, 99.9% so far show severe sensitivity to any
microwaved food."
In conclusion then, the safest way to heat your food is to use your stove top and throw away your
microwave!
Endnotes:
1 The Swiss Association of Dealers for Electroapparatuses for Households and Industry complained quite loudly
about the findings, which caused a court order to ban Hans Hertel from talking about his findings about the dangers
of microwaved food to the public. In 1998, the European Court of Human Rights held that there had been a violation
of Hertel's rights in the 1993 decision, lifted the gag order and sentenced Switzerland to pay compensation of F

kakn7294
01-03-2008, 07:21 PM
My MIL, her mother and all her aunts and uncles died from various forms of cancer - none had the same kind of cancer and none had a microwave. My grandparents, on the other hand, had a microwave, used it frequently, and died in their 90's - neither had cancer. I use my microwave daily and will continue to use it. As far as that article, if seeds watered with microwaved water won't grow or sprout, then why do my kids continue to grow eating microwaved foods and why won't the plant on my windowsill - a little wildflower planted 2 years ago in a styrofoam cup (and still in that same cup) - die when it's been watered with water from the microwave? Personally, I think it's a bunch of bull.

pjbs35a
01-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Not to make light of any the previous posts, but I am also thinking about selling my car and walking everywhere, not wearing any clothes made of synthetic or natural materials, not eating anything cooked or raw, going out only at night to avoid the sun's killing rays, never smashing another insect, refusing to use electricity, natural gas or any petroleum product, asking Al Gore to adopt me and spending the rest of my life at Disney World, the Happiest Place on Earth.

Who is in ??

princessjojo
01-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Just a funny thing about microwaves, yes I know that cockroaches are the one insect that will live for eternity probably, but you can catch one, keep it alive, put it into a microwave and turn it on. It will blow up like a balloon until the microwave turns off. The roach will then shrink back down and walk out. How's that for ya... And yes I tried it in my microbiology class.

Melanie
01-03-2008, 08:31 PM
I worry about a whole lot of things (too much, I know), but my microwave and the dangers it could pose to me and my family isn't one of them.

I love my microwave. It cooks frozen and fresh veggies to perfection, makes a perfect baked potato, and popcorn always comes out just right. It also has a toaster, which is the best toaster we've ever had.

Yep, I'd be lost without my microwave! :yes:

Pipalotta
01-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I am one of those people that loves my microwave. I use it for everything. Some times using the stove or oven to heat up something just takes too much time. 30 seconds over 30minutes takes the cake for me. I stick plastic in the microwave too.

2Epcot
01-03-2008, 09:19 PM
My mom is a stickler about using glass only in the microwave- no plastics.

My mom is the same way. She had not been a fan of microwaves for more the 20 years after talking to an engineer who had a lot of knowledge of them. The microwave in my parents home has never been in the kitchen, but around the corner in the laundry room. We just got used to going around the corner to heat our food.

I have another friend who is in her early 30s who also doesn't use a microwave. She tells me all her friends and family complain when they come over and she doesn't have one to use ... She is just used to not using one.

MegaDisney
01-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Some studies show that Microwaved food is actually better for you.

Vitamins break down when exposed to heat. The longer they are exposed the more they break down. As a microwave heats food faster (ie exposes it to the heat for less time) more vitamins are retained.

threeh
01-05-2008, 04:06 PM
My and DH first apartment was tiny, so no room for one. My husband also had cancer in his foot when he was 21 and he jokes it was from microwaves, but he's never wanted to get one. There were a few Christmases in a row we got one from different family members and DH always had me return it. I'm used to it now, I do enjoy using the one at my work tho.

BronxTigger
01-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Just a funny thing about microwaves, yes I know that cockroaches are the one insect that will live for eternity probably, but you can catch one, keep it alive, put it into a microwave and turn it on. It will blow up like a balloon until the microwave turns off. The roach will then shrink back down and walk out. How's that for ya... And yes I tried it in my microbiology class.

Okay, that is REALLY funny. Awful for the roach, but really really funny. And considering the size some of them are when they are at room temperature, I can only imagine how big they get in a microwave!

magicofdisney
01-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Just as there is research claiming the safety of microwave use, there's an equal amount claiming the dangers. I really don't understand flippant attitudes some throw around when others are concerned about their health. We stopped using a microwave recently. It's our choice not to use one. It really doesn't take that much longer to prepare your food without a microwave. Of course there are exceptions. Not everyone is created equal. I solute the 90 yo smoker who drank 5 packs of beer a week his entire life while driving home drunk from the bar each Friday and waking every Saturday morning to bacon, eggs and biscuits. I don't have those kinds of genes. So we chose to be more proactive in our diet choices. For us, not using a microwave is just one of those choices.

We have no problems with those who choose to use microwaves and I certainly wouldn't berate them for it.

SBETigg
01-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Just as there is research claiming the safety of microwave use, there's an equal amount claiming the dangers.

As yet, there is no accepted solid scientific or medical study to actually find a legitimate link to cancer from microwave cooked foods or use of microwave.

There is accepted research linking cigarette smoke to cancer, and second-hand smoke inhalation to cancer, and a diet high in fats to health risks. And drinking and driving to be an unsafe and illegal practice. That is something I will never salute. But those are all different issues.

I didn't see anyone berating people who choose not to use microwaves. It's your right to believe what you believe and that's fine for you. Simply stating the facts is not making light of your personal choice. They could find a link tomorrow and you would be the better off.

magicofdisney
01-05-2008, 08:09 PM
As yet, there is no accepted solid scientific or medical study to actually find a legitimate link to cancer from microwave cooked foods or use of microwave.

There is accepted research linking cigarette smoke to cancer, and second-hand smoke inhalation to cancer, and a diet high in fats to health risks. And drinking and driving to be an unsafe and illegal practice. That is something I will never salute. But those are all different issues.

I didn't see anyone berating people who choose not to use microwaves. It's your right to believe what you believe and that's fine for you. Simply stating the facts is not making light of your personal choice. They could find a link tomorrow and you would be the better off.
I can see you've done your research. Perhaps you've not seen studies done by the U.S. medical and scientific community to back your claims.

In 1991, Dr. Hans Ulrich Hertel, a food scientist, and Dr. Blanc, a Lausanne University professor, published a research paper on the dangers of cooking in microwave ovens. Their well-controlled study showed that microwave cooking changed the nutrients in the food, which caused degenerative changes in the participants’ blood, reduced immune function, and increased cancer cells in the blood. Studies done at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, the University Institute for Biochemistry, and others had similar findings. Eating microwaved food also causes an interruption in the production of hormones and has a negative effect on the electrical impulses in the brain.

This is a quote written on the web by Author Heidi Whitaker.

And for the record, which would be obvious to anyone actually paying attention, I never said I was berated, I said I would not berate someone for making that decision. And there were some who were not stating facts, but opinions. I certainly did not single you out.

SBETigg
01-05-2008, 08:49 PM
I respect your opinions but I have done my research and I stand by my statement. There have not been significant findings to prove microwave cooking poses any health risk. Studies by doctors and scientists are done on myriad topics on a daily basis with varied findings. The accepted consensus at this time is that there's no risk. As I said, that could always change and then you're ahead of the game.

:) I know you weren't singling me out, but you sounded as if you were feeling berated and that would be a shame.

Sinewiz
01-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Give up on my microwave? I might starve! :D

Cinderelley
01-06-2008, 01:15 AM
I don't use a microwave. It makes my food taste funny, especially the potatoes. :ack:

pjbs35a
01-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Btw, Mine died this morning while cooking bacon. :mad::thedolls::mad:

conorsmom2000
01-06-2008, 09:46 AM
It's funny - we have a huge microwave, but it mainly gets used to warm up my coffee, make popcorn and for the occassional frozen dinner (ie, Lean Cusine for me!). It's not about a safety issues for us, we just never really think to use it.

Now, on the other hand, my Dad got us a fancy Cuisinart toaster oven for Christmas....and that I think I'm in love with.... :cloud9: :D