PDA

View Full Version : Need Expert Help!

KateMW
01-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Ok, the more I read on here, the more confused I am about where to stay. DVC Mike gave me some great info about BCVs, but I can't help that while the size and layout of the room is perfect for us, the location isn't even close to ideal. Our daughter will be 4 at the time of our visit, aka prime princess age, so I know that MK will be a huge part of our trip. So, I can't help but think we need to be closer to MK and on the monorail. So, that being said...where would you stay if you were taking your DD4 to DW for the first time? I really want her to have a great trip and for DH and I to have a comfortable trip. Also, I use the concierge for most of our vacations, but haven't ever used them in such a large resort setting. Are they truly helpful and worth the money? I LOVE to plan trips, but I always have a ton of questions and I have to say that even I wasn't prepared for the scope of planning 8 days in Orlando. So, my question for all your experts is....

Where would you stay if you wanted a truly magical trip?

Thank you so much. Also, thanks for all the posts all over the site. They are so helpful!

diz_girl
01-03-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't claim to be an expert, but I'll try to help anyway. If you like the layout of the villas and want to be close to the MK, then try the Wildreness Lodge Villas. But if you want concierge-level service, then I think that's on the seventh floor of the main lodge at WL. I don't think that there's concierge-level service at the villas.

At the WL you get to the MK by boat, but a short boat trip to the contrmporary gets you on the monorail loop. Children seem to love the WL, and there's plenty for kids to do at the WL and you can try the campfire sing-along and movie at nearby Fort Wilderness Campground, so maybe yours will like the WL too.

KateMW
01-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I don't claim to be an expert, but I'll try to help anyway. If you like the layout of the villas and want to be close to the MK, then try the Wildreness Lodge Villas. But if you want concierge-level service, then I think that's on the seventh floor of the main lodge at WL. I don't think that there's concierge-level service at the villas.

At the WL you get to the MK by boat, but a short boat trip to the contrmporary gets you on the monorail loop. Children seem to love the WL, and there's plenty for kids to do at the WL and you can try the campfire sing-along and movie at nearby Fort Wilderness Campground, so maybe yours will like the WL too.

Is the WL as outdoorsy as it sounds? What about the Poly? That sounds like it would be fun for kids...I would like to stay at the GF, but it doesn't seem like it's really "fun", just very pretty.

diz_girl
01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
It's not as outdoorsy as Fort Wilderness, but it has a feeling of staying at a lodge in the wilderness. I suggested it because it combined a villa floor plan with being close to the MK. It also seems the most kid-oriented out of the three resorts you mention in your last post, the WL, GF and Poly.

The Poly is great and I'd highly recommend staying there. Kids seem to love it too, especially the volcano pool. IMHO the transportation is the best in all of WDW, which is great if you have small children. You can take both the monorail and boat to the MK, and you can take the monorail directly to EPCOT from the TTC, which is a short walk away. Once the World Showcase opens for the day at EPCOT you can take a boat to MGM, which doesn't really seem to be for pre-schoolers. You'll have to take a bus to AK, but then everyone does if they don't drive there.

As for the GF, I haven't stayed there, but I've dined there. It has a more formal feel, but I still saw plenty of kids running around and having fun, so I'm sure that plenty of kids enjoy the resort. I could definitely see staying there myself, however ten years ago (when I was 27) it didn't feel "fun" to me, just stuffy.

PetefromRI
01-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I'd go with the Poly.The rooms are pretty big.I've stayed lagoon/MK View in Tahiti and found it to be very peaceful.You could also stay concierge in the Hawaii Bldg. which is very close to the pool and Great Ceremonial House.The resort is right off the monorail and close to the MK.Plus great restaurants.I think that the Poly is the way to go for the Ultimate Disney trip IMO.

DVC Mike
01-03-2008, 02:37 PM
I can't help but think we need to be closer to MK and on the monorail.

As far as the monorail resorts go, I would also recommend the Polynesian.

The Villas as the Wilderness Lodge (VWL) would give you the same layout as BCV, and it's just a relaxing boat ride away from the MK. We love it.

Plus, I think your DD4 would love the Wilderness Lodge!

KateMW
01-03-2008, 02:41 PM
As far as the monorail resorts go, I would also recommend the Polynesian.

The Villas as the Wilderness Lodge (VWL) would give you the same layout as BCV, and it's just a relaxing boat ride away from the MK. We love it.

Plus, I think your DD4 would love the Wilderness Lodge!

What do you do if it rains? Is there also a bus or something to the MK? I have heard such bad things about the buses! Why oh why don't think have Poly or GF Villas...that would really work best for me! LOL:confused::cry:

DVC Mike
01-03-2008, 02:45 PM
What do you do if it rains? Is there also a bus or something to the MK? I have heard such bad things about the buses! Why oh why don't think have Poly or GF Villas...that would really work best for me! LOL:confused::cry:

Yes, there is also a bus from WL to MK.

There is a new building going up right next to the Contemporary Resort that is rumored to be DVC.

Tygger7
01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I admit it, we're addicted to the WL. Even if you don't stay there, you've got to go see it. The lobby takes your breath away. The best way I can describe it is "comfortable". The Contemporary is to "modern" for my tastes...pretty plain, and the pool is probably the "worst" out of all the deluxe resorts. GF is beautiful, but it does feel very stuffy. I always feel like I might break something just from looking at it. Again, just not my style. Poly is very nice, but I just haven't been able to justify the extra cost, even with the monorail transportation. However, if money were no object I'd probably try the Poly at least once.

WL offers bus service to all the parks, in addition to the boat for MK. The boats are quite large and do have covered seating areas if you want to get out of the weather. I've never had problems with any of the transportation from WL...only resort where I had problems with transportation was POFQ. As others have said, it's also close to Ft. Wilderness, which is great for kids with the campfire and petting zoo.

With all that said, the WL is NOT roughing it. To me, it combines the best of "comfy & homey" with luxury. The pool is beautiful, and the entire grounds is worth checking out. You can get a great feel for all the resorts by going to the indiviual web pages off of the WDW website.

Hope this helps, and don't stress...I mean, hey, you'll be at WDW!! :mickey:

EmmMOM2
01-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd vote for the Poly!!

Though with that said no matter where she stays her first trip to Disney it will be completley magical and memorable...so pick a hotel and begin the fun!! :party:

KAT1811
01-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I'd go with the GF. You've said that you use the concierge on your typical vacations so the caliber of resorts you tend to choose are quite nice. GF is the finest in WDW and is still a Disney resort and plenty of fun. I think the decor tends to scare people off and I'll agree that "stuffy" people most likely stay here more often than any other resort. The monerail is right at your fingertips to both MK and Epcot. The majority of your trip will most likely be spent at these two parks.

I would not use the concierge (from your other thread you said that due to your 30th b-day vacation you're looking to tone it down ever so slightly) try contacting Magical Journeys to help you. They are amazingly helpful and can answer any questions you might have. Then I would also stick to the boards. We are all here with tons of experience and are more than willing to help. There is nothing we love more than helping a fellow Intercoter plan their trip (okay maybe planning our own trips rank a little higher!!! LOL!!!).

We are heading to the GF in November with our three DDs (11, 3, & 1) We like nice hotels and resorts and have always toned it down because we were traveling with others but on this trip it is just us!!! We aren't the least bit worried about it being "stuffy". After all it's still Disney isn't it? The Poly is my second choice but DH won't hear it, there is just something he doesn't like about it. Good luck!!!

P.S - Ever try the snore strips for daddy so that DD doesn't have to suffer? She'll be so beat afet running around the parks she'll probably just crash. If not there is always the balcony for dad!!! LOL!!!

Kairi_7378
01-04-2008, 08:55 AM
I would consider the Wilderness Lodge. While the name of the resort makes it sound a little "rustic," the resort has more of a Pacific-Northwest feel than an "out in the middle of the woods" feel. It's like stepping into a nice quiet retreat amidst Disney World- something that you will appreciate after being in the parks! The WL has the Villas section, and it sounds like you like the setup of the DVC properties. Both Artist Point and Whispering Canyon Cafe are located at the WL and both restaurants are great places to eat.

The Poly also sounds like a good fit for you. With the monorail it is convenient to both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. It is more expensive than the WL. I'm not sure if you're doing the dining plan, or the waterparks, and how much you are budgeting for souveniers. Have you considered the Contemporary? It is actually within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom!

I would not worry about the bus situation too much. Just give yourself plenty of time to get from point A to point B. In regards to public transporation, I find that most people will not mention the many times that they had good service but will remember the one or two times that they had bad service.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the resorts in the Magic Kingdom area. I know it can be overwhelming to plan a Disney trip, but the people here are VERY helpful and will be able to advise you on all the aspects of your planning.

#1donaldfan
01-04-2008, 09:35 AM
With what it seems like you want and from what you are saying, I would stay at either the POL or GF....they are just a second away from MK by either Monorail or boat.....your little princess can have dinner with other princesses at the GF character dinner too......

KateMW
01-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I'd go with the GF.

I would not use the concierge (from your other thread you said that due to your 30th b-day vacation you're looking to tone it down ever so slightly) try contacting Magical Journeys to help you. They are amazingly helpful and can answer any questions you might have. Then I would also stick to the boards. We are all here with tons of experience and are more than willing to help. There is nothing we love more than helping a fellow Intercoter plan their trip (okay maybe planning our own trips rank a little higher!!! LOL!!!). ]

I am loving this board. It's so great. I shouldn't have bought all these guidebooks. I'm just more confused. I swear that the info on the boards is more up-to-date then the 2008 books I spent $75 on. :mad: I did have a question though...what is Magical Gatherings? I've seen it mentioned a few different places and am curious.

We are heading to the GF in November with our three DDs (11, 3, & 1) We like nice hotels and resorts and have always toned it down because we were traveling with others but on this trip it is just us!!! We aren't the least bit worried about it being "stuffy". After all it's still Disney isn't it? The Poly is my second choice but DH won't hear it, there is just something he doesn't like about it. Good luck!!!

The GF and Poly are the only two on the list as of now. I'm leaning towards the Poly, just because it looks funkier and I think that will entertain DD. A monorail resort is just going to work much better for us. Our DD is a napper and we are staying for 8 days to make sure we don't have to see everything in one day, so being close to our hotel seems to make sense. I mean we already added the extra days. Thanks for the help!

[P.S - Ever try the snore strips for daddy so that DD doesn't have to suffer? She'll be so beat afet running around the parks she'll probably just crash. If not there is always the balcony for dad!!! LOL!!!
Oh...they'll be packed! I also have two white noise machines! LOL

kristom
01-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I would definitely stay Poly. Been there twice and weren't disappointed either time. We went once with a 5 yr old daughter who wanted to wake up and see the castle every morning That's what we requested and were lucky enough to get it. The expression on her face was priceless! It's also nice to be able to jump back on the monorail and be back at the hotel in minutes.

When your kids get older, nothing beats the Beach and Yacht club and their pool. Great for older kids. We also sat on our balcony every night and watched the fireworks from Epcot. Incredible! Easy access to Epcot and MGM as well as the Boardwalk. A lot of fun for teenagers.

Good luck!

SBETigg
01-04-2008, 01:56 PM
The monorail resorts, either the Polynesian (if you like a relaxed, tropical feel) or the Grand Floridian (if you like laid-back elegance) would be the ideal choice, I think. We prefer the GF. Our kids prefer the Poly. But we all love both in my family.

If you're getting the deluxe dining plan(a lot of food), I would probably not go concierge but a lagoon view is fantastic to have-- and also not necessary if you want to save money, because the garden views are all lovely views, too. An extra benefit of staying at a monorail resort (besides proximity to MK and monoral access to Epcot) is the Electric Water Pageant that makes the rounds of the lagoon at night. You can watch it from your room if you have a lagoon view, or from the beaches or docks if you don't.

WelshieLover
01-04-2008, 05:11 PM
I understand the whole princess thing, but I still think the BCV are better for you. There is a Princess breakfast in EPCOT. The buses are not so bad. My family only had 1 bad experience with a bus and that was when we stayed at All Star Sports. Being between the Studios and EPCOT is such a great location. My kids while they love the MK for some reaon like EPCOT the best (this started when they were as young as your daughter). Another option is splitting your resorts we have done it before and would do it again. They move your bags for you. That way you spend some time at the Poly and then move to BCV and have more privacy.

PeterPan
01-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Just curious...what have you heard "bad" about the buses?

I put my vote in for the Polynesian Resort. Sounds like a perfect fit for you. Stayed at all Monorail Resorts - think the Poly is for you.

pjbs35a
01-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Poly, end of story.

KateMW
01-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Just curious...what have you heard "bad" about the buses?

I put my vote in for the Polynesian Resort. Sounds like a perfect fit for you. Stayed at all Monorail Resorts - think the Poly is for you.

I've heard that they are overcrowded and slow, two things that add up to a very cranky DD. While I would have rather had the space of a villa, I'm going to go with the Poly, so I can get her the best experience. Shorter travel times means she'll be in a better mood when we get there!