PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Springs

Lulie
01-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Hello,

I am trying to plan a trip to WDW for March...a very last minute idea for Spring Break. I would appreciate any info on Saratoga Springs....

Is it far from the parks?
How are the dining options?
What are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

DVC Mike
01-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Hello,
Is it far from the parks?
How are the dining options?
What are the pros and cons?

SSR is located across from Downtown Disney.

The onsite dining options are limited to one CS (Artist Palette) and one TS (The Turf Club). However, you can walk or take the boat across the water to all the restaurants at DTD.

SSR is a lovely resort, but big and spread out. There are various sections.

Congress Park has the best views of DTD. The Springs is the closest to the main feature pool, the lobby, and the restaurants. The Grandstand is the newest section, and is close to the lobby, and the buses pickup and dropoff there first. The other two sections are farther away.

busterthebronco
01-02-2008, 10:41 PM
ssr is far away from the parks.
but its right next to dtd!
we like it because we can run over there and eat ond get cigars and go to dq.
mgm isnt far and epcot is pretty close.
there are not much in the way of food.
the cs is pizza and some sandwiches plus a decent grocery store type selection.
the ts is more like pro shop food.
better really but nothing to freak out on.
i think most if not all rooms are villas so we go to the publix and keep stuff handy.
cheaper really.
pros- very nice and new, cool pool, close to dtd, full kitchen, spa
cons- no real ts, no quick/easy access to parks.
we love it but i'll say if your kids are young try another place.
our ds is 13 and dq, movies, etc is a big deal.

MinnieMommie
01-02-2008, 11:21 PM
My family is very happy with SSR. It is our home resort. You will need to take a bus to all the parks. It is not a hop, skip and a jump to the parks but you are close to DD and the water parks. We are big DD fans and spend time there as well as in the parks when we visit. Lots to do at DD for all ages and really good places to eat!

SSR has a rambling campus with many sections having their own pool. The pools have their own refillable mug stations so you will not need to go to the main building for something to drink.

Check out a map of the resort. While Carousel is new and very nice it is a bit far out from the action and does not have a pool. Paddock is large and has a pool at one end of the property. If you are not near that section of Paddock you are out of luck and have a bit of a haul to swim. We really like Congress and Grandstand. From Congress you can walk to DD Marketplace but from Grandstand you can take the boat. The boat will drop you off at Captain Jacks. IMHO it is easier and quicker to walk than to take the boat but I love the pool area at Grandstand. So many choices at SSR.

SSR has an active recreation community. All sorts if activities and very engaging CMs. There is a great golf course, tennis, biking, games by the main pool, etc. You can play games in the community room and obtain free movie rentals as well. And do not forget that SSR has a state of the art workout center and spa.

The food is good. My kids like it alot and get CS meals all the time. The Turf Club also has good food and there is a take out at the golf course open seasonally. Check out the menues above at Info central.

PM me if you have additional questions. I will be happy to answer any that you have. :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
01-03-2008, 12:35 AM
More SSR fans. :thumbsup: It is our home resort too.
It is a large resort but, that was never an issue for us. My kids are 10,8 and 4. They walked everywhere with us and never complained. DD 4 never used her stroller either.
They loved the main pool and the themed pool in The Grandstand was great too.'
We were in Grandstand and it was the perfect location for us. Close to main building and first bus stop to be picked up and dropped off. Important to us since we want the kids sitting on the bus and it was often standing room only by the time it got to The Springs. Even though the resort was very quiet.
Food options were fine for us. We did eat breakfast in our one bedroom.
Room was immaculate and the resort is very pretty.
The bus service was quick and efficient. It was the best bus service we have had in the past 12 years of staying onsite.
We walked to DTD once. Pleasant and easy.
We took the bus back, which the kids loved.
We are planning a trip for a few days in early December and the kids are already saying they want to stay at SSR. I had stayed at BWV earlier in the month with two friends and I preferred SSR over BWV. (:hide2: :)). I mentioned how nice it was to walk to MGM and Epcot from BWV (the one thing I loved) to the kids and they wanted no part of it..lol.

We love Saratoga Springs!!