PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Have A Live-in Nanny?!

jennsky
01-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi! I'm wondering if any of my fellow Intercot buddies have live-in nannies.

Here's my situation: I have an 18 month old girl. My husband and I work bizarre hours (I work afternoons and late evenings and he works shift work). Unfortunately, my current live-out nanny is leaving us to go back to school so I'm scrambling to find someone. In my search, I keep getting people interested in being a live-in nanny. I'm worried that having a live-in nanny would be invasive on my privacy, but it would also totally solve the problem of childcare because of our weird hours. We have a bedroom in our basement and a two piece bathroom, so it's do-able I suppose. We might have to add a shower to the bathroom, but that can be done.

Anyways, does anyone out there have a live-in nanny? What are the pros/cons? Are you happy with having one? Thanks!!

lovewalt
01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't have a live-in nanny,but I WAS a live -in nanny for about 5 years back in the early 90's.I had a great relationship with "my family".At first,it was a little awkward on my "off" time.I didn't want to infringe on family time so I spent a lot of time in my room. But eventually it became more and more comfortable.All in all, it was a great experience.
I'd be happy to share my opinion on any specific questions you might have.

jennsky
01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for your reply....here's a question for you....what can we do as "the family" to make it less awkward or is that simply a matter of it simply takes time?

princessjojo
01-02-2008, 10:02 PM
I, like lovewalt, was also a live-in nanny. But my experience wasn't as plesant. I found that I rarely had any time off. I did this while I was in college. The couple I "worked" for offered free room/board/pool and occasionally use of their car. But they didn't want to pay anything in exchange. I worked out a deal, but there was definately more work required on my part than what they were willing to compensate. I also wasn't allowed to have friends over AT ALL, period, end of story. It was a nice house and pool with HUGE living quarters on a golf course in a great neighborhood in Wilmington, NC though. The requirents were still too restrictive for my college lifestyle though, especially for the meager pay they offered.

If it were me and I were to do it again, I would put the agreed upon terms into a legal contract for a set amout of time, that way everyone is clear on required amount of time worked, time off, work required, ect... I didn't have any of that and though they treated me as one of their own children, I was treated as one of their own children with little to no privacy and had to ask permission or for "time off" to go home for the holidays. An this as well was in early 90's. BTW when I refer to meager pay, I mean <$50/week and minimal time for myself or study.

Good luck though. Many I know in the Raleigh area do it. There are some that pay big bucks for nannys. A well established friend of my parents has a live-in nanny, provides her her own living space, kitchen included in a seperate area of the home, provides her with a "NICE" car & insurance, health/dental insurance, vacations with the family, food/gas allowances, AND a salary I would kill for. They love her and she love the kids. But they also feel that they get what they pay for and have the means to pay for it as well. That's the far other end of the spectrum though.

I think it can work if each party involved respects the others time and space. Good luck in your decision...

minnie-mouse
01-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Have you thought about other daycare options for your 18-month old? Since she is approaching toddlerhood, it might be nice for her to have other children for social interaction and development. Do any stay at home moms in your area do home daycare? That is a great option and they are usually more flexible than daycare centers. Good luck!