PDA

View Full Version : Eating at Les Chefs

jaredkari
01-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what to order at Les Chefs de France in Epcot? My husband is not a very adventurous diner...he enjoys your typical American food, but would like to try something authentic, but not too "out there." I enjoy trying new things. Any thoughts?

DisneyTeen
01-02-2008, 11:41 AM
I think its called the tour of france or something along those lines. Starts off with French Onion Soup, then half of roasted chicken on the bone with potatos and tomatos (I think that is what it was served with) and endding with Cream Brule.

azcavalier
01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
The French Onion Soup is really good. I've never been there for dinner, though. We did a lunch, and I ordered what was suggested in the Unoffical Guide to Walt Disney World book. It was a lunch special that included the soup and a light sandwich (I think). Tasty. I'd love to go back and try dinner there.

SBETigg
01-02-2008, 12:00 PM
The food isn't necessarily as out there as some of the names make it sound in French. Obviously, you won't be trying the escargot. But you may enjoy:

Appetizers/starters:
Tarte a la flamme Alsacienne
Flat bread baked with cream fraiche, onion and bacon - almost like a pizza with white sauce.

Soupe a l'oignon gratinée
The classic onion soup topped with Gruyère Cheese

Main meals:

The Vegetarian Entrées are pretty basic, no meat but not too fancy. As for the meat dishes, again, more basic than they sound if you cut out the French names.

Lasagnes de légumes du soliel a l’huile d’olive au thyme
Zucchini, eggplant and tomato baked into thin layers of pasta.

Gratin de macaroni
Baked Macaroni with cream and gruyere cheese.

Steak au poivre vert, pommes pont neuf
Top sirloin steak with green pepper sauce, and pont neuf French Fries. (your basic steak with pepper)

Demi poulet fermier a la broche pommes purée au basilic et tomate braisée
Half of a farm raised rotisserie chicken, basil-flavored mashed potatoes and braised tomato. (Roast chicken, basic but not the best thing to get at Chefs in my opinion.)

Filet de boeuf grillé, sauce Bordelaise Gratin Dauphinois et haricots verts
Grilled tenderloin of beef with Bordelaise sauce, Savoy potato gratin and green beans. (This one's really good, also basic meat and potatoes, don't be put off by sauce names.)

Desserts (all good, nothing too out there)
creme brulée a l'ancienne
Baked vanilla cream with caramelized brown sugar

Matignon au chocolat avec sa creme Anglaise
Light chocolate mousse cake with vanilla sauce

Profiterolles au Chocolat
Puffs with chocolate and vanilla ice cream

Enjoy your meal!

SurferStitch
01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Tarte a la flamme Alsacienne
Flat bread baked with cream fraiche, onion and bacon - almost like a pizza with white sauce.

This was delicious, and very light. We loved it. DH also loved the French onion soup. I had the lobster bisque, and it was pretty good. Not the greatest, but good.

Filet de boeuf grillé, sauce Bordelaise Gratin Dauphinois et haricots verts
Grilled tenderloin of beef with Bordelaise sauce, Savoy potato gratin and green beans. (This one's really good, also basic meat and potatoes, don't be put off by sauce names.)

DH hated this. His meat was like rubber, and he had a terribly difficult time cutting it. It was literally about 60% fat. Gross.

I had the shrimp and scallops, and they were just okay. Nothing special, and the sorrel sauce they were in seemed like it was meant more for chicken, not shellfish. The spinach flan had no taste at all (that was the veggie). I like flan, but this was really bad.

Desserts (all good, nothing too out there)
creme brulée a l'ancienne
Baked vanilla cream with caramelized brown sugar.

Profiterolles au Chocolat
Puffs with chocolate and vanilla ice cream

DH was very disappointed in the creme brulee. It was pulled straight from the fridge and plopped on the plate. He likes a nice caramelized top that's crisp. This was soggy.

My puffs were "meh". I could tell they were pulled from the fridge/freezer because they were soggy, and the cream inside was still a little frozen.

We won't be going back. It so wasn't worth the cost, even with our 20% DDE discount. At least we finally tried it.

Kidsmom
01-02-2008, 01:31 PM
We LOVED it! We had dinner and my DH, DDs (7&9) and DSs (4&6) loved it so much we went back later in our trip for dinner at the upstairs Bistro! It was basically the same menu with I think a few changes. You could order from either menu.

I am VERY picky, but my favorites there were the cheese plate and pate plate and I thought the tenderlion was great, just don't expect a Morton's steakhouse quality. Mine was not fatty. My husband and kids couldn't get enough. Nothing we had there was bad or disappointing, even the escargot (I had one of my DH and they were tasty! He wouldn't share anymore)

The wine was great and I thought the service was some of the best we had. They allowed us to take our time and linger (we like 2 hour meals) without them ignoring us.

We are taking my parents there for our next trip in April. This was our MUST restaurant!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-02-2008, 02:11 PM
:blush: I remember that the steak is a little on the bland side but not out there at all....we all had different desserts and all were really good and nothing was strange...my son had escargot and loved it.