PDA

View Full Version : To DVC or Not To DVC?

dmosher
01-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Have you taken the tour? Did you consider doing it? Why did you, or what stopped you?
Just curious how everyone compares.
:pipes:
D

sassafras
01-02-2008, 06:53 AM
We took the tour back when they were selling the BCV's several years ago, just on a whim. Thought it was nice, but never gave it any real consideration until....about our 6th visit in two or three years. Then we sat down, did the math, and realized IF we had done it way back when, ours would be most of the way paid for!!! It made sense for us since we go to Disney a couple of times a year. Also, it would provide us with a guaranteed place to go once we retire(and other places besides Orlando) and our sons could go if we decided not to go. With the financing they offered, it made it really affordable! If we had to pay the normal rate to stay at the BCVs or WLVs, we wouldn't be staying there. We did our purchase over the phone and finalized everything by mail. It couldn't have went smoother and everyone at the DVC has always been very helpful and couldn't be nicer!!!DH and I couldn't be happier with our purchase! In fact we were talking the other night about our first trip to DW, riding the boat to MGM and how we literally drooled as we passed the Yacht and Beach Club! We could never imagine us staying at somewhere like that because of what it would probably cost! It's probably one of the most sensible purchases we ever made! Hope that helps!

DVC Mike
01-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Have you read this thread?

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=120253

GothMickey
01-02-2008, 08:46 AM
I am still debating whether I should get into it or not. My cousin bought into it. I am wondering if I should do the same.

Donald A
01-02-2008, 09:21 AM
It is a big decision, almost like buying a new car. I think you will find very few people who regret doing it. Chances are, if you have any doubts, you will not do it. The tour is likely going to re-inforce your thoughts one way or the other. We bought in because it made sense for us. Friday, we leave for 5 nights taking 8 total people. There is no way we could afford it without DVC.

princessjojo
01-02-2008, 09:44 AM
We didn't do the tour, but spoke with about 3 different reps. who all gave us different information and perspectives. If you're considering it, stay away from the 50ish guy near the sunglasses store in DTD. If he was my only info source I wouldn't have done it. He was a real jerk. But we did buy & our first will be this June. It's the only way I could afford to take my extended family with me and help to absorb some of their cost. I can't wait!!! I can also give my kids a great graduation vacation for them and their friends other than Myrtle Beach or some other insane out of control place. :thumbsup:

ThanxForNoticin
01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
It's a difficult and personal decision, just like any other major purchase. We did the tour, waited a couple years, and then ended up purchasing at Old Key West many years ago. We have never regretted the decision. But it really seems to me to make the most sense if you plan to spend a lot of time at WDW. You certainly can use the points in a variety of ways, but staying at the VC resorts is by far the best use of the points. Good luck with your decision.

dvcdad
02-06-2008, 01:43 PM
We did it and love it. :thumbsup:

EmcDuckRN
02-11-2008, 01:23 PM
We actually didn't do the tour. I had been four times and had wanted to buy in during the second. But DW wasn't sure. I called the number and got some information, and our guide was patient. Never pushed just a card now and then telling us when specials were on.

I showed DW pictures, anytime I could find them. I compared the prices of what we were paying, compared to what we were getting, and what each would cost over time.

Then DW was close, very close. Then I got an a "special" offer for Disney Co. Stockholders [turned out to not be THAT special, but who cares, it was enough!]

She was intrigued. I made my best case and she called and spent about an hour and a half on the phone with our guide [Judy... A great guide] With the call culminating with me buying our points. :mickey:

So DW was nervous but trusted me that I wasn't trying to spend every dime we'd ever have. I was confident that now I wouldn't be spending every last dime as our trips ar annually now.

We got to SSR and DW was very impressed. We tried the 1 BR and the 2 BR. She thanked me over and over for suggesting it. I thanked her for letting me do it.

We are very happy with our choice. Sure people around me think I'm crazy [and I'm not disputing it] but since this is where we like to go for vacation, we know that we'll be back. It is a good investment for us.

Now I'm working on her to buy extra points so we can have a big room for a longer period of time.

mouse-logic
02-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Never took the tour, never spoke with a giude, but never had any doubts either. I've been an owner for several years now (through the resale market) and I've never looked back. The memories my family now has (thanks to DVC) are worth ten-times what I paid.