PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a CARES Kids Fly Safe airplane seat belt harness?

prprincess
01-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm dreading lugging two car seats with us on our trip to The World in April. Then I read about the CARES Kids Fly Safe airplane seat belt harnesses on the FAA website and actually found someone online who rents them out.

Anyone here have any experience with using one of them? At the time of our trip our boys will be 1 and 3 1/2.

Were your kids comfortable? Did you have any trouble or issues with the harnesses? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

BigRedDad
01-02-2008, 09:42 AM
I have read about them and they seem very easy to use. I was debating buying one myself. Can you let me know the site that rents them?

BeccaO
01-02-2008, 10:08 AM
I was actually looking for info on this too. We are leaving next Thursday the 10th and I was debating whether or not to take the car seat or use this option. My son is 13 months old and 22 lbs. I think I will look into this further, cause I will need to decide soon!!!

tink1011
01-02-2008, 10:29 AM
I have two of these, I got them to use with my then 1 and 1/2 year old and my 2 and 1/2 year old. With my older child it was perfect. It actually was just OK with my younger. . It isn't as snug as a car seat so he get trying to wiggle out of it. Also I think he felt strange because he was on the regular seat, very low as opposed to being boosted up by a car seat. I kept thining it would have worked better if he was sitting on something to make him a bit higher. Overall it was much better than lugging two car seats.

prprincess
01-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I have read about them and they seem very easy to use. I was debating buying one myself. Can you let me know the site that rents them?I'm not sure about the rules here on linking, but if you do an Ebay search for "CARES", the person who rents them's listing is the first one.

BigRedDad
01-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Thank you for the info. After doing more research, I think I will opt for lugging the car seat. I do see the benefits of the belt, but the car seems to be the better fit. My DD will be more comfortable in it, she is used to it, can sleep in it easier, and it is a known commodity. I wouldn't trust my DD in a rented CARES harness, but maybe one I purchased. For this trip, it will be the car seat for us.

prprincess
01-02-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm going to go for it and rent the CARES harnesses. I've done a ton of research, and they've gotten excellent ratings. I also love that they are FAA approved, and I don't have to lug around two car seats (we won't be needing them once we arrive).

The fact that they are rented doesn't phase me one bit. The person renting them out purchased them directly from the manufacturer.

VAdizneefan
01-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I have one and used it a few trips ago when my DD was 15 mos. The harness worked well for her and kept her snug and secure. I will tell you that you should make sure you do read ahead on how to install it so you're not trying to figure that out while you're trying to get situated on the plane. I'd take along the little instruction card/pamphet as well. When we used it, neither flight crew on the trip down or back had seen one used before so they were pretty curious about the device. It is pretty handy though and definitely a lot easier than taking a car seat. We've driven for the past few trips down so I've only used it that one time.

prprincess
01-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I have one and used it a few trips ago when my DD was 15 mos. The harness worked well for her and kept her snug and secure. I will tell you that you should make sure you do read ahead on how to install it so you're not trying to figure that out while you're trying to get situated on the plane. I'd take along the little instruction card/pamphet as well. When we used it, neither flight crew on the trip down or back had seen one used before so they were pretty curious about the device. It is pretty handy though and definitely a lot easier than taking a car seat. We've driven for the past few trips down so I've only used it that one time.Thanks for the info. and the tip!! I printed the pamphlet out today and then the person I'm renting them from is including an instructional DVD.

taradon
01-04-2008, 10:53 AM
After seeing this post I looked into the rental option and we've decided to get the CARES harnesses for our trip next week. We'd looked at them before, but at $70+ each, it was more than we wanted to spend. But renting them for $15 each makes it a lot better (to us) than lugging the carseats through the airport and on and off the plane. I'll let you know what we thought when we return.

prprincess
01-04-2008, 05:11 PM
After seeing this post I looked into the rental option and we've decided to get the CARES harnesses for our trip next week. We'd looked at them before, but at $70+ each, it was more than we wanted to spend. But renting them for $15 each makes it a lot better (to us) than lugging the carseats through the airport and on and off the plane. I'll let you know what we thought when we return.Great--thanks! I look forward to hearing how you fare!!