PDA

View Full Version : Beach - Gulf Coast

disneyduggan
01-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Looking to follow our WDW extravaganza this summer with some time at the beach. After obtaining feedback from Intercotees about Cocoa Beach, I am widening my search to the gulf coast. Does anyone have any experience at any of these hotels?

Doubletree Beach Resort Tampa Bay - North Redington Beach (formerly Hilton)

TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort - St. Petersburg

Sharaton Sand Key - Clearwater

We are a family of 5 with kiddos ages 13, 11 and 8.

Thanks in advance!

Zippy 1
01-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Have you thought about Vero Beach?

disneyduggan
01-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks, yes we have done that and highly recommend Disney's Vero Beach...just looking to try something new.

Figaro
01-01-2008, 10:54 PM
On the Gulf Coast, Ft. Myers is also really nice... it's one of my favorite places on the Gulf Coast... :thumbsup: Sanibel Island is also really beautiful. I've always stayed on Ft. Myers Beach. Wild Wave Resort is actually the name of the place. Been there quite a few times! I'd recommend it to anyone!

Little Einstein
01-02-2008, 06:50 PM
I thought about going to Cocoa Beach as well but I have since changed to Anna Maria Island off of Sarasota. We are staying at the Tortuga Inn Beach Resort which got really great reviews on Tripadvisor. We will be there in about a month, I'll let you know what the place is like mickey:

disneyduggan
01-02-2008, 10:10 PM
That would be great Little E...

Jerseychic
02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I second Anna Maria Island!! We rented a house last June in Bradenton Beach and it was wonderful. So, much so I think we will be doing it again this summer too.

Kathie_WE
02-07-2008, 08:28 AM
I live 5 miles from the Gulf in Venice. While I cannot give you advice about places to stay, here is some info on Gulf beach areas....

Starting in Tampa/St Pete:

This is the most populated beach area along the Gulf. You will find strings of hotels/condominums along the beach similar to that on the east coast. Great for families looking for lots of activities both on the beach and surrounding area. Tarpon Springs, Weeki Watchi, Lowri Park Zoo, Busch Gardens, Sunken Gardens, Salvador Dali Museum, and St Pete Pier are among the many tourist destinations that you might want to check out in the area.

Moving south to Bradenton/Sarasota/Venice and the Out Islands:

This area is much quieter than Tampa but close enough that if you want visit there you can. Its about an hour south. The beach resorts are more laid back with the emphasis on relaxtion rather than activity. If you decide on this area check out renting a house/ staying at guest house/B&B. Looking for things to do activities can be found in the region. There are 2 great beach downtowns in this region (Venice and St Armands Circle), Siesta Key is nice for restuarants and trinket stores, and Downtown Sarasota w/ its art row is also close by. The Ringling Museum is one of my personal favorite museums anywhere because it has something for everyone from circus displays to historic house tour and art. Myakka River State Park, Selby Gardens, and Jungle Gardens are also nice places to visit. And I would be amiss if I didn't mention that Venice (specifically Caspersen Beach) is one of the best places to seach for sharks teeth.

Moving south a bit further (about 2 - 2 1/2 hours from Tampa) ...

Ft Myers/Naples/Sanibel/Marco Island

The beaches here are known for their shells. The mangroves are great for seakyaking and canoeing. You will find a mix of hotels from large beach highrises to smaller bungalows/inns. In many ways this area is a mix between Tampa and Sarasota. You can find lots of beach activities and wonderful in land places to visit. I am not as familar w/ this area but downtown Naples is one of my personal favorite downtown areas to walk, shop, and eat.

No matter which area you choose you'll be happy you came. IMHO, the Gulf is a great place for a family beach vacation!

CHEERS!

Kathie

edwards2301
02-14-2008, 10:10 AM
We go to St. Pete beach on spring break every year and absolutely love it. I have not stayed at the resort you have listed but I know that is is beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful vacation.:mickey:

Little Einstein
02-14-2008, 07:33 PM
We got back from our trip about 1 week ago - disney was great :mickey: and I fell in love with Bradenton Beach (Anna Maria Island). The island is great for shopping, restaurants and just has an overall laid back attitude. If your interested in places to stay I'd be happy to give you some!

MsMin
02-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Do you have any future archaeologists or paleontologists on board? Venice has a beach that's a state beach where you can find fossilized shark teeth. It's very primitive and a little tricky to find but loads of fun for those who have dreamed of finding their own fossils.
I love Sanibel b/c you drop into the tropical zone there. It's a little more expensive and only a toll bridge from Ft. Meyers if you decide to stay there.