PDA

View Full Version : Best pens for autographs?

mmwonka
01-01-2008, 10:54 AM
I read that alot of people are using the retractable sharpies for character autographs. I think that is a great idea but I was wondering if they "bleed through" the pages? Has anyone used them and what were the results? Any suggestions for the best pens to use would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BigRedDad
01-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Not sure what the best are, but the pens in general have to be larger. With their costumes, their hands cannot grip the smaller pens. As for autographs, I think the Sharpies are the best way to go. As for bleeding through, just make sure you get a book that has thick pages.

DDBird
01-01-2008, 12:25 PM
We purchased a pen at WDW when we got the autograph book. It was a thick pen but nt so thick that DD could not use it at home.
For us - that was the best pen. I definitely would not use a sharpie. I think they are messy and tend to bleed not only through a page but also bleed out and make lines blurry on paper.
My :twocents:

senderella
01-01-2008, 01:06 PM
We always use the pens that come with the autograph books. They have always worked well for us and are easy for the characters to hold.
Have Fun

kakn7294
01-01-2008, 01:22 PM
The other problem with Sharpies is that they are generally permanent - when given to little kids they can end up a permanent mess on their clothes, skin, and anything else within their reach. I always just either purchase a thicker pen or use one of the millions of freebies we seem to get. Just be sure to take more than one in case yours breaks or gets lost. We've had trouble with multiple Disney pens (the ones sold in the parks near the autograph books) leaking everywhere. I won't buy those anymore, especially for those prices!

Hair_Razor
01-01-2008, 06:54 PM
I found some really cool pens at Big Lots they are Disney characters inside and have glitter that floats around them like a snow globe. They are fat and when you push down to write with them they light up. I got my DD Ariel and my DS Mickey for stocking stuffer's this year they loved them. As far as the books I cut rectangles out of card stock and made small clipboards for them to write on since I scrapbook it's easier to archive and I can make them any colour I want. The small clipboards I personalized for each my DD's is all princess and my DS's is mostly Incredible's. I decorated with stickers then put Mod Podge on it to make it last. The character's seem to like them I think it's easier for them to hold. Plus they look cool.

PAMOUSELOVER
01-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Mickey and the gang would agree that the larger sharpies are the best. Besides they come in all thosae great colors. Tigger prefers orange, I can tell you that.
In Sept. We were give the :thumbsup: everytime by a character for the sharpies we were using. I belive sharpie sponsers a art show in epcot or something.

mmwonka
01-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Thank you so much for all the helpful replies.

Hayden's Dad
01-02-2008, 09:43 AM
We really like the Sharpies and the characters seem to really like them too. We went to Big Lots and got a pack of 8 & 1/2 by 11 Card Stock, I think 70 sheets for 2.50 and used that with a clipboard. It gives the characters a lot of room the pens don't bleed and we can frame the personalized ones. We have several now made out to Prince Hayden, or happy Birthday Hayden, etc..

trennedy
01-02-2008, 11:50 AM
I have a suggestion that is better than a Sharpie IMHO. As a teacher I came across a type of pen called "RediSharp" it is a finepoint marker. It is a permanent pen like a Sharpie, but it does not bleed! It is wonderful and it's all I buy now. I don't know where to suggest to buy them thought because I buy them thru my teacher supply catelogs. They are great though and it is want we will take when my DD gets her autographs in October! Have fun!!:mickey:

AuntDJ
01-02-2008, 08:36 PM
We have used the retractable sharpies for years. I love them....since they are retractable, I have not had a problem with the kids writing on themselves...my kids are 9, 8, 5..

Also, they don't bleed too bad. We use the autograph books sold at Disney and unless you want to have it signed on both sides of the page, they don't bleed at all.

This last trip, I wasn't watching closely enough and chip and dale signed side by side pages instead of flipping the page and it is a little hard to read.

We love the colors, I usually let the kids pick a new color every morning.

Have fun!
DJ

Hair_Razor
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM
We got an autograph book when we ran out of card stock and had a back to back sign as well. I think it is hard for the characters to turn the pages. Now I know to expect lots of signatures and will pack accordingly!:thumbsup:

Figaro
01-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Not sure what the best are, but the pens in general have to be larger. With their costumes, their hands cannot grip the smaller pens. As for autographs, I think the Sharpies are the best way to go. As for bleeding through, just make sure you get a book that has thick pages.

Costume?? Our characters don't wear costumes... :thumbsup: :mickey:

As for pens... we let Chip and Dale use Sharpies... yes.. i know... dangerous... well..only in Dales hands...haha.. :mickey: The autograph pages sometimes do bleed thru i've noticed, but only the pressure points where the writing starts or ends....

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-03-2008, 03:36 AM
Just remember - they aren't overly fond of green sharpies because the coloring inside of the marker will permanently stain their fur!

Which reminds me...I need to get back to collecting those ones for you, Kyle! It got insane here the last couple of weeks, so I fell behind!

Hayden's Dad
01-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I have seen Mickey in a Farmer costume, and Piglet in a flower costume. :D

You know I have heard about the Green sharpies before, but the only one who asked for another color was Chicken Little, but he was wearing his new pants (He lost a fight to the Gum in the sidewalk again) So make sure you have backups. We had a freezer bag full and would pull several out at a time and let them pick what colors the wanted.

AlvyOT08
01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Last time I was at Disney, i had the characters sign my autograph book with a sharpie marker. I'm using a retractable black sharpie maker again this year when I go. I didn't have any problem with the sharpies bleeding through the paper unless the character pressed really hard, and this was usually when the character starts/stops signing. Again, I buy the autographs book at Disney. Plus i only let the characters sign on one page and only on the front. Plus i only use a black sharpie, no colors for me. Hope this helps :mickey:

mmwonka
01-03-2008, 07:11 PM
All of the replies were extremely helpful, thanks. I think I will go with the different colored, retractable sharpies (no green :mickey:). I'll let you know how I make out (we're not going until October).