PDA

View Full Version : New Year's with Kids

SamG
12-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Obviously not for tonight, but we'll be in the world for New Year's 08-09 (woo hoo, 362 days and counting:mickey:) Myself, DW, DD (10), DS (5), and DD(34 months).

My wife and I would like to be in the park (probably MK) for the New Year, and DD (10) and probably DS will probably be with us. The question is what do we do with the youngest? From what I've been reading on here, assuming we get to the park in the morning, we won't want to leave because we won't get back in, so an "afternoon break" is out. Also, getting a sitter for that long is a little cost prohibitive.

So, do we take all the kids into the park? Do we go to the park and then back to the hotel and celebrate there (probably Contemporary or Poly)? Other ideas?

I believe
12-31-2007, 06:24 PM
We had a wonderful New Year's Eve with our girls (then 9 and 5) last year. We got to the park early (7:00) and stayed forever. The plus was, it didn't really feel like it. We were well rested the night before, so the early arrival was not bad. We were expecting the worst with the crowds, but I guess we just played our cards well and used the fast pass system wisely. Our girls hung in there like champs. We had a counter service brunch, and ate at the castle around 3:30 or so. It was the perfect afternoon break. It started to get dark shortly after we came out of the castle. The crowds seemed heavier in the evening, but we still rode lots of rides. We watched the early night parade and fire works, and "celebrated" the new year early, but by the time the fire works were done, so were the girls! We grabed a snack, headed back to the hotel, got in our p.js and watched the new year officially come in from the balcony of the hotel, with our girls sound asleep, exhausted from a perfect day in the Magic Kingdom.
For us, it was a perfect way to do it. I would imagine your three would make it too. Plus, the little one will be in a stroller (I assume) so maybe s/he can catch a little snooze on the go. Anyway, good idea to start thinking ahead...I hope you have a happy New Year! Today, and next year!:mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-01-2008, 03:40 AM
Well, after today, I can say a few things:

1 - The park was closed at Phase 4 by 11:00 am. Epcot and MGM remained open all day.

2 - Bring stuff to do.

3 - Be patient.

4 - It rained all day.

With that, I tried to advise as many Guests that they shouldn't attempt to leave and re-enter. Nor should they sit in the middle of my floor during parades at night when we are trying to stock....but that aside....

I then pointed out little facts such as: Counter Service Locations. Pecos Bill, Caseys, Columbia Harbour House, Pinocchio Village Haus, Cosmic Ray's and the Tomorrowland Noodle Terrace.

No, these are not places I told them to eat. These where places with tables and benches that they could sleep/rest at out of the way of the crowds when it wasn't peak eating times (I personally would have slept at Columbia Harbor House or Pinocchio).

This is the busiest time of the year for us, but I think the fireworks are completely worth it. 360 degrees!

Just remember - it's not our fault we're so busy!