PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Questions

Tinkermom
12-31-2007, 01:36 AM
I recently read that we can go to guest services and pay our tips at any time during our cruise. I have read that if you take care of this earlier in the cruise you avoid lines. We are on the 7 night Western (6 more weeks!) so I would probably wait a few nights before I tip so that I could see how our service was. Anyone take care of the tips early? Do I charge them to our stateroom or can I give a different credit card? Is it better to give cash or does it not really matter?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated! I think this tipping thing is stressing me out the most! I want to be sure we do it right and that all of our servers are accounted for.:mickey: I plan on printing out tipping guidelines that Ellen (ElenitaB) had posted a while back. Thanks!

stitchcousin
12-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Hi! We took cash and presented our envelopes to all our crew members on the last night of the cruise. I had already set the money aside so that I wouldn't spend it and so I would stay on budget as much as possible. I saw many people at guest services pre-paying, and I believe when you do this, you receive some kind of voucher/statement that you can present to the crew members. They leave the envelopes in your stateroom on the last day of the cruise.

TammiMcMan
01-01-2008, 08:39 PM
As previously stated, you can give cash or charge the tips to your room, in which case, you'd put a voucher in the envelope. I've heard that it's sometimes easier for the CM's to get the vouchers, because they can't use cash on the ship anyway. When they do get off the ship for shopping, they can "withdraw" only what they need.

You can charge your tips at any time with guest services and then just keep the vouchers in a safe place until you present them on your last night. You might want to charge the recommended amount initially and then if you feel the service was outstanding, you can add cash or gift cards to the envelope with the vouchers. We've done it this way also.

Tinkermom
01-02-2008, 09:55 PM
You can charge your tips at any time with guest services and then just keep the vouchers in a safe place until you present them on your last night. You might want to charge the recommended amount initially and then if you feel the service was outstanding, you can add cash or gift cards to the envelope with the vouchers. We've done it this way also.

Great idea! Thanks so much! Hopefully soon I can start answering questions instead of asking so many.:mickey:

DisneyDudet
01-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Also, in addition to the amount they list for you to give, if you don't want to give them extra money, international calling cards work rather well. This gives them the ability to call home and talk to their loved ones.

Just an idea.

PAMOUSELOVER
01-06-2008, 12:00 AM
If I plan on giving a cash tip I would pay at the end of the week? Is that when they leave you an evelope? Who all do you tip on a cruise and how much? Can you tell we have never cruised?

DisneyDudet
01-06-2008, 01:40 PM
It sounds like you are going on a 7 day. The length of the cruise determines what amount you pay. I will give suggestions for a 7 day.

Stateroom Host/Hostess: 25.25
Head Server 6.50
Assistant Server 18.75
Server 25.75

All these prices are PER PERSON in your stateroom, including children.

Now, this is what Disney states, but you can give more based on what you feel is fair. We definitely gave more to almost everyone, seeing as we never had any problem, and if we did, all worked quickly to fix them. You get to learn about your servers and everything, so you fell connected to them, so we paid them quite a bit more than what it stated. We also paid our Hostess quite a bit more as well. We paid our Head Server more, as he actually printed out recipes for us.

We didn't do room service or order alcoholic beverages, so we didn't tip that way.

Also, as I said before, we gave some laundry supplies to our Hostess, so she can wash her clothes. You can offset the more cash by giving calling cards or other things they can use, as they don't have much time to get supplies at dock, and don't call home often. You can also give candies or other things as well.

Anything above the minimum is at your discretion. You will also get this list in your travel documents before you travel. The envelope is placed in your stateroom by your Host/Hostess.