PDA

View Full Version : Just a quickie...

LottaLubes
12-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Hello everyone…just returned from a week-long trip from Florida (at the beach!) and of course because we were in the area, we decided to stop “home” for a couple nights. Due to it being Christmas week, we chose to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge as we weren’t planning on going into the parks (too crowded for us this week – been there, done that!). The animals at AKL kept us busy while we were at the resort. Anyway, I have a few things I’d like to report…may be old news but just in case it helps someone:

The drive – I95 was awful from North Carolina to Georgia on the way down…the way back was MUCH better. We will fly next time!

Water Mice – the minimum age was dropped from 16 to 12. My oldest son was able to drive his own water mice when he was 12 but then Disney raised the age limit to 16 (and you had to have a license). Well, he finally turned 16 and got his license and found out when renting that the age restriction was lowered back to 12. Had I known that, my other son would have been eligible as well.

Segway Tour at Fort Wilderness – my DH and oldest son were able to participate in the Fort Wilderness Segway Tour. AWESOME. If you have a chance, do take advantage of this tour. I wasn’t able to participate as I had to watch the younger two children but we did go for a little while to take pictures, etc. I believe there are two times available on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday.

Contemporary – we visited the Contemporary a few times and boy has it changed since April! It’s really coming along. I think it’s already been reported that the arcade was relocated to the 4th floor and the shops on the center floor were also renovated. I do miss the pin stand…it’s a little hard to see the pins the way they are currently set up. The new north wing is also coming along…I think it’s going to be beautiful.

O’hanas – we dined at O’hanas for our first dinner and I was sooo happy to see they brought back the skewer shrimp. It is sooo good (they also still bring the shrimp in a bowl for an appetizer).

Cast Members – came across two situations (1 medical; 1 lost child who was VERY panicked…actually, I found the child and had to ask for help) where I was able to see the cast members at their best. They surely are trained to handle any situation and they do so very professionally.

Overall, the crowds didn’t seem as bad this year. Of course I wasn’t actually in a park so maybe that is where everyone was! But I was able to navigate through DTD, the transportation, etc. without any problems.

Happy, Magical New Year!

goofyfan4466
12-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Sounds Like A Good Trip Overall. I Noticed You Said They Brought Back The Shrimp On The Skewers, Is It True I Hope So?, I Checked On The Menus , It Is Still Not Listed Yet.when Did You Go ? Also You Are Over 1200 Miles Away, What State Do You Live In ? I'm From Pa. And We Always Drive. Was It Just Heavy Traffic Or Were There Accidents Or Bad Weather ? My Family Is Planning An April Trip And We Are Driving. Thanks For Any Info.!!

Darbylew
12-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Sounds like you had fun but I could never be in
the area and not go to parks. We are also going
in April. Can't wait to get back in the land of
MICKEY :mickey: and the MAGIC :magic:
FIRST TRIP 1972
LAST TRIP NOVEMBER 2007 :)
NEXT TRIP APRIL 2008 :D
AND MANY TRIPS IN BETWEEN

RedheadWriter
12-30-2007, 08:38 PM
:thumbsup: there is so much other stuff to do in the World. Glad you had a great time!

BronxTigger
12-30-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm impressed you didn't go to the parks at all! But you had a wonderful trip overall. I want to do something similar sometime; stay at AKL and just enjoy the animals there along with the other things WDW has to offer on property outside of the parks.

Thanks!

dolphinmickey9170
12-31-2007, 06:41 AM
Sounds like a great relaxing time. We drove I95 on December 13-14th and again on Dec 21(North bound) and we didn't encounter a single problem.

vizsla
12-31-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the report.

ChipnDaleGal
12-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Sounds like fun to me. Such a perfect time to be there and enjoy the resorts and Downtown Disney. Glad you had a nice time. :mickey:

LottaLubes
12-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Sounds Like A Good Trip Overall. I Noticed You Said They Brought Back The Shrimp On The Skewers, Is It True I Hope So?, I Checked On The Menus , It Is Still Not Listed Yet.when Did You Go ? Also You Are Over 1200 Miles Away, What State Do You Live In ? I'm From Pa. And We Always Drive. Was It Just Heavy Traffic Or Were There Accidents Or Bad Weather ? My Family Is Planning An April Trip And We Are Driving. Thanks For Any Info.!!

Yes! It is true about the shrimp skewers...we were at O'Hanas on 12/27 for dinner. The entire dinner was delicious but we LOVED the shrimp. :tasty:

We are from CT and drove mostly 95. There were no accidents, just stop and go traffic. We went through NC, SC on 12/23. By 4:30 p.m. we were tired (we started at 2 a.m.) so I made a reservation at a Hampton Inn in Rocky Hill, GA. By then we seemed to be moving again and I told them we hoped to be there by 5:00...boy, was I wrong...we didn't get there until 7:00. Traffic picked up again within 10 minutes of making the reservation!

On the way back, we went through the same area on 12/29 - north bound was fine; south bound was still having problems. We counted at least 14 miles of stop and go on the mile markers on our end. It could have been the snow birds though!!

Also, we did not mind not going to the parks...we are there often enough that we really didn't miss it. There is so much to do outside of the parks, it was actually a nice treat! And we did have extra days on previous tickets if we needed them - but didn't.

Bethanymouse
12-31-2007, 12:49 PM
I am glad that you had such a relaxing trip! Thanks for all of the updated info. I am surprised that they dropped the age back to 12 for the water mice....interesting! Thanks for posting!

AbeeNormal
12-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the great post, it's really exciting to see that they are doing shrimp skewers again. :mickey:

jillluvsdisney
12-31-2007, 06:43 PM
I would love to just stay at a resort for a few days and skip the parks. The most relaxing moments I had on the last trip were the two times I sat in a lounge chair on the beach at WL and read a book and took a nap. It was peaceful.:cloud9:

pdrlkr
01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

faline
01-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Even without time in the parks, it sounds like you got a very nice Disney fix! Thanks for the report and the updates!

January-2007
01-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for reporting.

goofysbabe
01-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the report:number1:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-20-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't think I could be that close and not go to a park. But it sounds like you had fun even without going to a park. Thanks for sharing.

Bethis26fan
01-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Sounds like you had a good time even with out going into the parks. Thanks for sharing.