PDA

View Full Version : low fat diet

BouncingTigger
12-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Hello all,

My boyfriend was recently diagnosed with gallstones. They will be removing his gallbladder in about a month (have to wait for inflammation to go down) and we are going to Disneyworld Jan 5 - 12. The docs said that will be okay as long as he eats a low fat diet to keep inflammation and attacks down.

Does anyone know of any low fat items in the park? We are also vegetarian (no meat or fish, but dairy and eggs are fine). We are mostly interested in counter service food.

Also, we will be staying at ASMovies - any low fat items in the food court?

Thanks!

dolphinmickey9170
12-30-2007, 03:58 PM
There are several CS places that serve salads and wraps, and non-fried foods. We really love the wraps at Cosmic Rays and Peco's Bills. And Columbia Harbour House serves some great sammies. Now, I realize that is only MK, but I'm sure someone will have more from the other parks.

TheRustyScupper
12-30-2007, 05:17 PM
1) DD#1 had the same problem.
2) She just avoided fried foods.
3) She had no problem while at WDW.
4) I think she targeted 45 grams of fat per day.

NOTE: Check with the doctor. He/she should have a list of no-no's. Getting around that list is not too bad.

Kairi_7378
12-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Most of the CS places offer a salad or a wrap option. Some of the salads are chicken salads but you can ask them to not put chicken on the salad when you order. I did that at Pecos Bills (MK). The Columbia Harbor House (MK) has a vegetarian sandwich called the Lighthouse which was pretty good (and filling!) I think that the best options for you will be at Epcot. Sunshine Seasons has salads, as does the Mexican Cantina. The Tangerine Cafe has a vegetarian platter. I'm not sure about MGM and AK but hopefully someone will be able to help you with those soon.

playdead88
12-31-2007, 08:54 AM
yep stay away from fried foods - im a veggie and found that there are very few counter service places that don't have a veggie entree or willing to modify just about anything to make it veggie - also i would think about ordering some groceries from garden grocer (they deliver and they are great- we use them every year) this way you can be sure to have a few healthy, gallbladder friendly snacks on hand :mickey:

TheDuckRocks
12-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Wow, this is crazy. Reading about your boyfriend reminded me of last year when I ended up at the emergancy room 2 nights before we were to leave for Disney with what they thought was a gallbladder attack. They later found out that it wasn't the gallblatter but something else that I had to have surgery for 6 months later.
Getting back on track here;
Did the doctor give you any medication to take with you to stop the spasms or help with the pain if he has an attack while you're gone? I was given both and only had to use the spasms pill twice and never the pain pills. I can't remember the name of either one of them though.
Absolutely do not eat any fried food and do not overeat. The 2 times I had problems was when I ate to much.:blush:
There are a lot of tastey options to be found that won't bother him.
Have a wonderful trip, I'm sure with some thought he'll not have any problems at all.

BouncingTigger
12-31-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, my boyfriend is bringing the meds the doctors gave him...hopefully he won't have to use them!

We will definitely try Columbia Harbor House and some of the other places you all mentioned. Looking forward to trying some of the yummy stuff at Epcot. We also are definitely going to stay away from fried foods.

Thanks again!

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
01-01-2008, 03:07 PM
We just traveled with some friends to DW in September with severe allergies. Every place we ate was extremely accomidating to special dietary needs. They were good and most places offered to make things not on the menu to help out. Let your server know and most places are terrific about making sure your needs are met.

Duchess99
01-01-2008, 05:02 PM
I recently had Pancreatitis, which was caused by Gall Sludge (a precursor to gall stones), so I'm on a low fat diet as well. I was told to follow the same sort of diet as those with heart disease. Stay away from whole milk dairy and cheeses. Stick to egg whites instead of whole eggs. Eat a ton of fruits and veggies, beans are ok but in moderation and condiments are the best to add flavor! I also used to be a vegetarian and I must say it is hard to find healthy vegetarian varieties at WDW.
Best bets are Sunshine Seasons in the Land Pavillion has a ton of variety, Restaurant Marrakesh in Morocco has a great vegetarian cous cous dish, and Food Courts tend to have a lot of salads and fruit salads which are really good snacks.
Intercot has menus from all the restaurants listed at http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/default.asp so you can search a lot of the restaurants in advance.
Good luck and I hope you're boyfriend gets better...I know how painful it can be :(

biodtl
01-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Your friend might also want to avoid nutty and seedy foods (popcorn included), since they can be a problem for some (though not all) people with gallstones.