PDA

View Full Version : Transportation from Amtrak station

taradon
12-30-2007, 11:45 AM
We're going to Disneyworld in 9 days (yipee!! :cloud9: ) We're arriving in Orlando via Amtrak and then have to get to the airport to pick up a rental car. We tried to arrange a ride through Quiksilver, but they apparently won't pick up from Amtrak for some reason.

Does anyone know of a similar service that we could use to get from the Amtrak station to the airport or is a taxi the best bet? We just aren't at all used to taking taxi's, so we don't know what the rates would be, how much they charge for lots of luggage, that sort of thing; so we were hoping to arrange for something where the rate's already arranged up-front. Any ideas?

Piglet822
12-30-2007, 01:18 PM
You can try Mears Transportation (www.mearstransportation.com). Perhaps you could use a shuttle (not sure if we actually provide shuttles between Amtrak and MCO but it never hurts to ask).

I did check the taxi fare estimator on the Mears website and it gave me a quote of $25.75 to the airport - not including tip. That would be what a Mears cab should be - there are a lot of gypsy cab companies around and there's no telling what they will charge you.

taradon
12-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks. Do you know if a cab would charge extra if you have lots of bags? We have 4 people going for 2 weeks, so lots of luggage!

Beast_fanatic
12-30-2007, 05:40 PM
If you go the cab route, tell them you need a taxi van when you call and I don't think there should be any extra charge for lots of luggage (although you should tip more if the cab driver handles the bags).

Have you looked at car rental agencies other than at the airport? For example, Enterprise (http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=CskCx7emGUE&offerid=61955.10000095&type=3&subid=0) will typically pick you up and then transfer you to the rental location.

taradon
12-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Actually, we are renting through Enterprise. Unfortunately, we are arriving on a Sunday and none of Enterprise's neighborhood locations are open on Sundays. And the airport location won't pick you up.

Thanks for the info on the cab. Like I mentioned, we just never take cabs, so we're not sure of all the charges associated.

Donald's Girl
12-30-2007, 06:02 PM
I would change my car rental to Alamo and cab to WDW where you can pick up your rental at their location right on Disney grounds.
I have found Alamo has the best rates; if you have an Entertainment book, or any other discount book, there is probably a great discount you can use.
Don't know if it's too late to change that Enterprise rental but I have found they are very expensive compared to Alamo and National.
Have a wonderful time!! Wish I was there too!

taradon
12-30-2007, 06:16 PM
I agree, Enterprise is normally more expensive than we are willing to pay. But my company has some sort of arrangement with Enterprise that allows employees to get better rates... with that discount added to some coupons from our Entertainment book, Enterprise actually ended up being the best value by quite a bit. Surprised me!

Thanks for the tip, though. It's good to know that Alamo has a location right at DW for future reference!