PDA

View Full Version : P.S. I Love You

ChipnDaleGal
12-30-2007, 06:51 AM
I have a new favorite movie!! I finally got to see this movie yesterday and it blew me away! It has been getting such bad reviews, but I just love Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Gray's Anatomy's Denny) and Gerard Butler, so I dragged my daughter to a matinee. Hilary Swank is not a favorite of mine, but she was really good as the grieving widow. Gerard Butler was fantastic! Loved hearing him talk with his own accent, and he was so funny, so sweet and loved hearing him sing so much. Jeffrey had a small role, but he was great and looked wonderful up on that big screen. Lisa Kudrow had a small role too, but she had some of the funniest lines in the movie. Overall, it was my favorite kind of movie, it made me care about the characters, it made me laugh out loud many times, and sob out loud a few times. Perfection!! :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
12-30-2007, 09:37 AM
It was good to read your review, Donna. I have been on the fence about seeing this movie at all. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a huge draw for me too, but Hilary Swank has been the drawback (I liked her in Million Dollar Baby, but other than I just can't get into her acting). I still don't know if I'll see it at the theater, but will definitely get it when it comes out on DVD.

NotaGeek
12-30-2007, 11:44 AM
I am SO excited to see this movie now! I was really put off with all the bad reviews, but I totally trust your opinion Donna, so this is on my list now for sure!

DizNee143
12-31-2007, 10:49 AM
i LOVED the book..and i really wanna see the movie..its actually one of those books i keep reading over and over..i hope the movie is just as good!!
i didnt even know it was getting bad reviews...
either way you can never go by reviews ever..everyone has different tastes..

ChipnDaleGal
12-31-2007, 10:51 AM
i LOVED the book..and i really wanna see the movie..its actually one of those books i keep reading over and over..i hope the movie is just as good!!
i didnt even know it was getting bad reviews...
either way you can never go by reviews ever..everyone has different tastes..

I need to look for the book. I can not wait for this to come out on DVD. It is the kind of movie that I know I will watch over and over. It just made me feel good. I love that feeling when you walk out of a movie feeling better than when you walked in.

PoohFan7664
01-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I saw it this weekend with my friend and her mom. I must say, I personally wouldn't have gone to see it if my friend hadn't made me, but I am so glad I did! I cried more than I thought I would, but it was a good cry. I have to say I really enjoyed it. A movie I'll definalty get when it comes out on DVD. :thumbsup:

Figgyluv03
01-02-2008, 12:42 PM
My best friend and I went and saw it on Sunday morning, and I love it! I thought 2 hours was going to be a little too long, but it was perfect. I thought Hilary Swank looked way too skinny in the beginning. I would have loved to see Jennifer Garden in the role, but whatever, it was still good, and the two hott Irish guys were amazing. Totally loved them. The storey line was good, and I loved the ending. I didnt' know it was a book. I'll have to go get it.

Emily
01-03-2008, 10:07 PM
I can't believe there's a Gerard Butler movie out and I haven't seen it yet! :eek: No one I know will go see this with me so it looks like maybe I'll go see it this weekend by myself. Glad to hear you liked it, Donna!

I miss our movie conversations, girl! I'll report back if I go see it... you know I'll have to gush over Gerry to someone who understands! :D

ChipnDaleGal
01-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I can't believe there's a Gerard Butler movie out and I haven't seen it yet! :eek: No one I know will go see this with me so it looks like maybe I'll go see it this weekend by myself. Glad to hear you liked it, Donna!

I miss our movie conversations, girl! I'll report back if I go see it... you know I'll have to gush over Gerry to someone who understands! :D

I saw it again today Emily. I can not believe how much I love this movie! Gerard is just amazing. If you can't find someone else to go, go alone Emily. You have to see this one on the big screen. His dance in boxers and suspenders is worth the price of admission! :thumbsup:

tinkerbell04
01-04-2008, 07:27 PM
You have got to try the book. It was fantastic, as I knew the movie would be! :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
01-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Okay, I think I might need to get into a 12 step program for this movie. I saw it again today! And I bought the book!! It just keeps getting better. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
01-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I want to see the movie, but I really did not like the book at all. It dragged for me, and I hated the ending. From what I've heard, the movie is much better and I would probably like it. But the book? Maybe I was too critical, I don't know, but the author failed to engage me.

RNTinkFan
01-06-2008, 01:25 AM
Hey Donna! I know, where have I been. Long time no type. :blush:

I'm glad to hear a good review of this movie. I have been wanting to see it since I saw the first preview months ago. With any luck I will be going tomorrow, if I can drag my daughter to it.:rolleyes: I just hope I don't make too much of a scene. Do you think I should take an entire box of kleenex just for me?:sob: It might be a little close to home for me, but on the other hand maybe it will give me hope.:unsure:

ChipnDaleGal
01-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Hey Donna! I know, where have I been. Long time no type. :blush:

I'm glad to hear a good review of this movie. I have been wanting to see it since I saw the first preview months ago. With any luck I will be going tomorrow, if I can drag my daughter to it.:rolleyes: I just hope I don't make too much of a scene. Do you think I should take an entire box of kleenex just for me?:sob: It might be a little close to home for me, but on the other hand maybe it will give me hope.:unsure:

Lauri, I can't tell you how happy I am to see your avatar pop up in this thread.

Kleenex is a must for this movie. I think that it will hit you even more, given you sad situation. But it is a lovely celebration of love, and I would think it migt be very good for you.

Please PM me if you want to catch up. I think about you all the time and wonder how you and the kids are. :hug:

DizNee143
01-14-2008, 11:20 AM
i really didnt think id get to the movies to see this..cuz i barely ever go to the movies..but i went this past friday..and omg..if your not crying your laughing and if your not laughing your crying!!!what a GREAT movie!! watching that makes me want to read the book yet again!! cant wait for this to come out on dvd!! :mickey:

Melanie
05-06-2008, 06:53 PM
After having a little problem finding this movie yesterday :bang:, I finally did and watched it last night. Very cute, very funny, and also sad. All the performances were well done, and I in particular enjoyed Harry Connick's brutally honest Danny. He cracked me up!

I like how the relationship between Holly and Gerry wasn't perfect when he died, but just how much they loved each other unfolded throughout the movie.

ChipnDaleGal
05-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Yay, Mel! I am so glad that you liked it. I am still waiting for my pre-ordered copy to arrive. I plan on watching it several times this weekend!! :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
05-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I have this movie at the top of my Netflix queue, based on your glowing review many months ago, Donna! :D

ChipnDaleGal
05-07-2008, 10:13 AM
I am so excited that you guys are finally getting to see this movie. Let me know what you think Beth. Prepare yourself for some "Denny Goodness" ! :heart:

AdventurerKim
05-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I really enjoyed this movie when I saw it in the theatre, and I'm going to get it in a few minutes when I leave work.

I bought the book and plan to read it over the summer. I'm lukewarm about Hilary Swank's movies, but I did like her in this film.

RedSoxFan
05-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I asked for this movie for Mother's Day. I can't wait to see it. It looks so good and all your reviews make me want to watch it even more.

rnin02
05-11-2008, 11:28 PM
I want to see the movie, but I really did not like the book at all. It dragged for me, and I hated the ending. From what I've heard, the movie is much better and I would probably like it. But the book? Maybe I was too critical, I don't know, but the author failed to engage me.

I haven't finished reading this thread yet, but I just have to stop and agree with you! I love sappy, romantic books, but this book? It was just so awful to me. I never, ever had any sympathy for the main character, and I would think with this subject matter, the author would really want people to love the main character and sympathize/empathize with her. I still haven't brought myself to see the movie after reading the book, it just disappointed me so much.

RedSoxFan
05-12-2008, 12:31 PM
I did get this movie for Mother's Day. I just finished watching it. Such a wonderful movie. Laughed and cried at the same time. I can't wait to watch it again.

NotaGeek
05-17-2008, 09:47 PM
I honestly can't believe I have to post this, but I really hated this movie. ME, the sucker for chick flicks.

I probably would have liked it if SHE died instead of him. I think that my distaste for Hilary Swank probably did me in.

ChipnDaleGal
05-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Oh Michael, that is too bad. I had to really get past my Hilary Swank issues too. Sorry it was a disappointment to you.

jrkcr
05-19-2008, 12:13 PM
I have this movie next in my netflix queue!! Should be getting it any day now.
I'm glad so many people say it is worth seeing! I have my box of kleenex right beside my bed...I'm ready for the :sob:

MNNHFLTX
05-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Okay, I have this movie in hand, now I am just trying to find time to watch it!

After reading some of the comments here, it is interesting to note that there are a number of people with (to quote Donna) "Hilary Swank issues" (me included).