PDA

View Full Version : Help--WL or AKL?

prprincess
12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Of course everyone has their favorite, but I want to hear which of the two you love the most and why.

I'm on the verge of booking our 5 year wedding anniversary trip for April '08, but have honestly been putting it off because I can't decide!!

We'll also be taking our two boys. At the time of our trip they will be 3 1/2 and 1 year old.

Thanks!!!

TammiMcMan
12-29-2007, 10:02 PM
One thing you may want to consider is that construction of the new DVC units at AKL isn't due to be completed until 2009. Some people have reported being bothered by views and noise. If you do decide to book the AKL, you probably want to be sure that you reserve a savannah view.

With the ages of your boys, you may spend more of your time at the MK. Getting back and forth for naps or afternoon downtime is easier from the WL.

Catzle
12-29-2007, 10:08 PM
I have never been myself to AKL but my sister just got from her honeymoon and didn't like it at all not because it wasn't clean or pretty or neat but because of the bus'. She waited almost 50 minutes for a bus and missed their dinner reservations and that it took too long to get anywhere. They actually ended up switching to the Poly because they felt like they were spending too much time trying to get places.
I have only been to the WL and Poly and both are perfect. If your trying to save a few bucks go with WL it's a great place to lounge around and the transportation was great. We actually are going back in May for our second stay. The quiet pool at WL is also great and nice to get away from the hussle and bussle of the main pool.

lockedoutlogic
12-29-2007, 11:53 PM
I have never been myself to AKL but my sister just got from her honeymoon and didn't like it at all not because it wasn't clean or pretty or neat but because of the bus'. She waited almost 50 minutes for a bus and missed their dinner reservations and that it took too long to get anywhere. They actually ended up switching to the Poly because they felt like they were spending too much time trying to get places.
I have only been to the WL and Poly and both are perfect. If your trying to save a few bucks go with WL it's a great place to lounge around and the transportation was great. We actually are going back in May for our second stay. The quiet pool at WL is also great and nice to get away from the hussle and bussle of the main pool.

This is one of the biggest myths out there that continually pops up on e-boards such as this....

AKL is only far from the MAGIC KINGDOM.....which could be a big issue.
It is no farther from the other parks than anyother location...

Each location has to be close to something and farther away form others....if central location is your main concern...then you should start by considering Yacht and Beach and end with Boardwalk.

It is a little tiresome to hear the "animal kingdom is so FAR" line...while on the resort's periphery...it is not the only one...so is Grand Floridian....so is Saratoga....Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary are not much better.

If someone has an experience where it takes them an hour to get somewhere and they miss a planned event...it is unfortunate...
But it happens practically every day at every resort location...sometimes it literally comes down to what actually moment you show up at a bus stop or boat dock

Plan on leaving at least one hour before everything...with an additional 1/2 hour if you need to do a transfer....and the system will work for you 99% of the time. But if you think you can't have a long wait and miss something at the Poly, Contemp, or any other location...then you are incorrect.

As far as WL/ AKL debate...WL is probably more romantic...and very nicely located

AKL is a superior resort....but many people don't like the African theme and/or the animals

But they always claim "it's so far out"

TammiMcMan
12-30-2007, 12:20 AM
This is one of the biggest myths out there that continually pops up on e-boards such as this....Maybe not the biggest myth, more of a common misconception. I think having only one transportation option can add to the feeling of isolation. For many guests though, that's exactly what adds to the charm of the resort.

Plan on leaving at least one hour before everything...with an additional 1/2 hour if you need to do a transfer....and the system will work for you 99% of the time.Sound advice when relying on any of Disney's transportation. Sometimes the bus service can be great and a week later, you suffer major wait times. I think the more transportation options you have from a resort, the better. For example, to travel anywhere from the AKL, you have to take a bus. From any of the other deluxes, you usually have another choice be it resort boat or walking.

Tinkerbellfan
12-30-2007, 01:06 AM
Hello,

We have stayed at both resorts and we much more prefer the Wilderness Lodge.

We love the theme of the Wilderness Lodge. We love seeing the eletrical parade every night. We love being able to take a quick boatride to MK or the CR - this opens up many additional dining options. We love having two pools and a beach to enjoy. We also really like being able to rent boats and bikes right at our resort. For the ages of your boys, it might be fun to rent a surrey bike and ride over to the petting zoo at Ft. Wilderness. I think the resort is perfect for boys your age!

We enjoyed the AKL but just not as much as WL - but, if WL was booked up we would stay at AKL. It is an amazing resort to walk around and take it all in but we felt it was darker than the WL. And, the fact it is so far away from all other Deluxe resorts limits the number of restaurants available within a quick boat ride or walk.

I would recommend you stay at the WL but plan on visiting the AKL for a meal. Jikos is a romantic restaurant while Bomas is a wonderful buffet. Both restaurants are excellent. If you visit the resort for a meal, if you leave time at the beginning or after you meal, you can walk around the resort and see the animals at the various look-out points throughout the resort. We usually visit AKL after a day at AK for dinner or for breakfast on the day we visit AK.

Have fun planning! You really can't go wrong with either resort.

wdw_bound
12-30-2007, 11:46 AM
We have visited AKL, but never stayed there. We love WL and have stayed there our last two trips. Both resorts have great pools, both offer daytime crafts the kids can participate in. Both have good dining selections. Here is what puts WL over the top for us:

Boat to MK - for my 2yo, this was a favorite ride, in or out of the parks. It has improved even more as this past trip, WL and FW had their own boats, so WL-MK was always a direct trip.

EWP - sitting on the beach with a snack watching this is a special magic all its own.

Lobby - Wow, words can't really describe the lobby. And the patio overlooking the courtyard - a really neat place to steal a few quiet moments.

Rooms - we treated ourselves to a courtyard view this last trip, and it was well worth it. I spent a lot of relaxation time on the balcony while the kids slept.

Compact size (relatively) of the resort was also a plus. We could be anywhere in the resort in just a few minutes, and that was including stroller setup time.

I also like the remote feeling of WL without actually being remote, if that makes sense. We saw ducks and rabbits and enjoyed walking around. We also enjoyed taking the boat to FW and walking around there.

Have a great trip!