Christine
12-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Cast:
me
DH
DD 8

Dec. 24-Jan. 3
ASSports, room 2250

Today is Saturday December 29, but I have a bit of make-up work to do, so I will begin where I left off, Thursday December 27.

With John’s toe looking like a slender plum, I decide to let him sleep and take Olivia to EPCOT. We get there and I cringe just a little when I notice the line to SSE wrapped 4 times then trailing behind the building.

We head to Norway for breakfast, then ride Maelstrom and FP it for John and Olivia to ride it later. Next, we hit the Fiesta Tour, where John met up with us. He and Olivia rode Maelstrom with the FPs (yes, that much time had elapsed in one ride. The Fiesta Tour line was wrapped through the marketplace and out the door, down the steps and almost to the Margarita kiosk.)

Olivia decided to get a passport this time, and enjoyed that. We had some lunch in China then headed to Japan to watch them do the pearls in the shop (I think I want to do this next trip). We sat for an HOUR to wait for the candy artist…it was necessary as people were already lined up at that point. I have never been able to catch her, and it was worth the wait. She is strangely hypnotic as she speaks and works. She made a pink flaming for Olivia that is amazing!

From there, we hit the rest of the countries one by one (getting an Aero bar in UK and not understanding the “bubbles” thing? :confused: ) . It was about 5:45 and people were getting spots for the 9:30 Illuminations already, so we found a bench between the world showcase shops and pitched camp. EMH were tonight, so I figured we’d already done WS, so we’d do Future World from 9:30-12:30. AND I wanted John to get off his foot for a while.

So we eat a hot dog, Olivia colors, we visit and people watch. By 6:30 it is getting packed! Some people from Virginia join us on the bench and we enjoy visiting with them.

By the time 9:15 rolls around, I cannot see anything but bodies. John gets up for a moment to get a drink, and a woman from the UK comes up to us and says “can you move your bag so I can sit down?” I tell her that my DH will be right back and this is saving his spot.

She said “even for a female of 71?” And the lady from VA says, “This bench is taken!” The lady from UK says, “Fair enough…p*&% off then!” I felt like a heel at first for not giving her the spot, and had she not cursed in front of my child I may very well have. But it was one of those things where everyone had the opportunity to be as ridiculous as we did and sit there for four hours. Why would I do that just to stand now? Then several people came up and asked if they could sit. John would look at them, look at the sliver of space between all of our legs, and say, "that math just don't work!" :funny: I really am not a mean person, I will give up my seat on a bus in a second. I will let children sit in front of me at parades, etc. But dang it, I sat there for a good part of the day and I wasn't budging! :blush:

Anyway, Illuminations with the holiday finale was spectacular to say the least. I looked over at John and he was squinting…you could hardly look at it! The sound and pressure was so great, I could feel it in my chest! It was just awesome!

Now it was EMH. And guess what? We had the park to ourselves!!! We walked on Figment (wait… we always walk on figment! ;) ) , Nemo, SSE (loved the new first half but must agree with the consensus that the second half is lame!) Fiesta Tour, Maelstrom, and then had late snack at the Electric Umbrella. (I had hoped Mexico counter service would be open, but very few places or kiosks were.)

It was a really nice evening. We got home around 2:00, then John went down to do laundry until 5 am! Tomorrow should be interesting! :sleepin:

Stan
12-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Sounds wonderful even with the crowds. Amazing how people will try to horn in last minute no matter how much investment others have made in their place "in line". (Just like the folks who drive around a long line of cars waiting to merge- don't you just love it when no one will let them in? Disclaimer- I don't encourage provoking road rage. :D)

I delivered photos Fri AM to a family who'd also been at EPCOT all day Thursday. They said it was a good thing I hadn't tried to meet them there- way too many people. But they didn't get EMH (staying off property). ;)

I think all the parks are crazy this week. Yesterday was the first time I'd seen the entrances to Sea World coned off (and cars backed up both ways on Central FL Parkway). :mad: :( :ack:

ChipnDaleGal
12-29-2007, 10:56 AM
I am glad that you stood your ground on your bench, Christine. You are 100 % right, everyone has the same option to start saving a bench early. Sounds like John is doing pretty good with his injured toe. Very nice that crowds thinned for your EMH. Thanks for reporting.

pogo
12-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Thank God for a some what normal day for you. No more broken bones, no more major problems. :thumbsup:

I've got to check out your next day.... what ever day that is. :confused: You have me confused. :D

RedheadWriter
12-29-2007, 01:05 PM
:thumbsup: for not budging on the bench.

princessjojo
12-29-2007, 01:42 PM
I am so glad to hear your day turned out much better than the previous. But what a LONG day, especially doing laundry until 5am. I agree with most about holding your ground on the bench. I just don't understand why she was so nasty about it, especially in front of a child. It really was uncalled for.

Your trip sounds really great so far. Keep on enjoying the magic...

disneydeb
12-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Way to hold your ground girlie!--Olivia could have soccer-kicked her for you.:Just kidding!!

AbeeNormal
12-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Good for you for not giving up your spot. For Pete's sake you sat there for hours, the spot was yours. I would have felt a little guilty too but you did the right thing. :thumbsup:

Your DH is a trooper with that toe, and laundry until 5am, whew. :laundry::faint:

Caroleh
12-29-2007, 03:36 PM
You go girl!!! I wouldn't give up my seat if I waited that long!!

dolphinmickey9170
12-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Great job on bench warming....one of my DH favorite sports:D!! How's John's toe? Thanks for sharing. I felt like I was sitting on the bench with you.....:thedolls:

BronxTigger
12-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Oh wow....its soooooooo crowded! I hope John's toe feels better soon! Off to find out how the next day went!

Thanks for taking the time to do *live* reports!

Hair_Razor
12-29-2007, 10:36 PM
sounds like a good day and I bet you guys really enjoyed those EMH's :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
12-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Wow -- what a busy day!! I cannot believe John went to do laundry at 2am... what a great guy!! Better person than I, I'm afraid... :blush:

So - did you go see the candy lady in Japan because of the Holiday Special? We saw her on there, doing her flamingos... pretty amazing!! I can't believe you got to see her!

Thank goodness you guys had EMH... that must've been a relief, after the time it took you to get around Epcot earlier!! Sounds like you guys had another great day - and that John's toe is surviving well! :thumbsup:

On to read about Friday... thanks for sharing all this w/ us!!

ChipnDaleGal
12-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Christine - I changed the date for you in your thread title. Wanted to tell you so you didn't think you had gone crazy. :D

ElenitaB
12-30-2007, 07:07 PM
What a day! And for poor John it just went on and on (that man is a trooper).

So glad that Olivia got something special from the Candy Lady. Sounds like the best option for such a crowded day was doing the passport.

On to read about what happened on Friday... thanks for reporting in practically LIVE!

princessgirls
12-30-2007, 08:05 PM
WOW! The crowds sound huge!!

I agree with our other Intercot friends...

You go girl for not giving up your seat!:thumbsup:

People are off doing what they want, hey you wanted a good seat for illuminations. In normal park times, 15 minutes before the show is usually enough times, but this was the most crowded time of year.

Thanks for your report! You guys are all troopers.
Julie:mickey:

McGoofy
12-30-2007, 10:23 PM
That is so cool that you got to see the candy maker!:mickey:

I don't think that I would ever wait in a line that was out to the margarita kiosk for Grand Fiesta!

You earned that bench...don't let anybody else tell you differntly!:D

disneydrmr
12-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Add me to the "Way to Go" on standing (actually sitting :D) your ground on not giving up your bench. Hopefully the crowds will start thinning out so you guys won't have to deal with them your WHOLE trip.... and I'm glad to read that there were no new injuries or other 'misadventures' in today's report!

KylesMom
12-31-2007, 10:06 AM
Wow, I cannot fathom the patience you have in dealing with these crowds. We've had similar experiences with guests thinking they're entitled to your seat for one reason or another, and it sure is disheartening to see how some guests react to being told NO. It sounds, though, that the Holiday Illuminations was worth the wait. I can't believe EMH was empty - in the summertime it's our experience that it's anything BUT!

Bless John's heart for the laundry duty . . . perhaps you and Olivia will be venturing out together alone in the morning, hm?!

Thanks for sharing, Christine - off to read more! :mickey:

BriarRose0708
12-31-2007, 11:51 PM
Whoo wee, a long day and a late night, but it sounds like IllumiNations was worth it! I keep thinking back to how crowded World Showcase was for Food & Wine in October, and I can't imagine how it is now. You all are Disney warriors, I don't know how you do it!

pdrlkr
01-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

offwego
01-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Wow the crowds sound intense. Why would anyone think they can just wander up and take your seats?

Glad John was able to navigate the toe so well. (and laundry too no less!)

Mickey'sGirl
01-02-2008, 11:12 AM
The crowds at Epcot are ridiculous at Christmastime! I remember being stuck in a sea of people about 12 years ago ... and not budging forever .... then running into my dentist??!!? I am glad everyone had the courtesy to leave the park so you could enjoy some stuff! I agree with everyone else about the bench. It never fails to amaze me ... how cheeky some folks get.

faline
01-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Wow! It sure is busy! Of course, you shouldn't have to give up your seats after having warmed them for so long to have a good view! I remember once hearing someone say they never waited to get a spot for shows like Illuminations and always got great views. This was being said while they were inserting themselves in front of people who had been waiting for a long time!

You really deserved the lack of crowds you experienced during the extra magic hours!

Glad John is managing with his sore toe!

Bethis26fan
01-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Sounds like a very long day. Thanks for sharing.

Christine
01-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Your DH is a trooper with that toe, and laundry until 5am

He's awesome! :thumbsup: I'm a very lucky lady!

So - did you go see the candy lady in Japan because of the Holiday Special? We saw her on there, doing her flamingos... pretty amazing!! I can't believe you got to see her!

We did...and apparently everyone else on the planet saw that special too!

Christine - I changed the date for you in your thread title. Wanted to tell you so you didn't think you had gone crazy.
Thanks! :blush: But I'm not sure that will convince me that I'm not crazy! :D

DisneyorBust
01-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I missed it somehow....how did your husband injure his toe?
Glad to read that you held your seats and wouldn't let go! It sounds crazy with the numbers of people that you were dealing with.

Christine
01-06-2008, 04:33 PM
I missed it somehow....how did your husband injure his toe?
Glad to read that you held your seats and wouldn't let go! It sounds crazy with the numbers of people that you were dealing with.

Looks like you're missing here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122442) and here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122589)...my posts were a bit disorganized the first few days! :blush:

DizNee143
01-07-2008, 12:53 PM
sounds like a great day..and good fo ryou for standing your ground with the old lady..your a better person than me..i would of cursed the lady off!! lol..but thats just me!! and wow..you have been in disney for what 4 days..and you guys had 3 hours worth of laundry to do!! lol..:mickey: