PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver 2010

pcoleman
12-29-2007, 10:20 AM
DH, DD and I just decided we are going to the winter Olympics in Vancouver, does anyone have any experience with traveling to an Olympic site? We are not new to travel but this just seems to be a whole different league. I'm not sure how to budget, everything gets released at different times over the next two years, its very overwhelming. Help.:confused:

mjm12000
12-29-2007, 12:01 PM
I have never travelled to the Olympics yet, but I actually live in Vancouver so it should be interesting to see how it all goes having the Olympics here. From what I do know it will be very very expensive. My guess would be hotels will be hard to book and very pricey. And the tickets to the events I am sure will not be cheap either. I think the opening ceremony tickets are over a thousand dollars. Also with some of the events taking place up at Whistler there is a lot of travel depending on what sports you want to watch as some are here in the city and some are in Whistler which is a good hou drive away. I am sure the games will be amazing and if you have not been to Vancouver before you are certainly in for a treat as it is one the most beautiful cities in the world. I would look into renting a condo for the time you are here if you are bringing family, many condo owners rent them out for short and long term stays fully furnished and I am sure many will be available for the Olympics. Good luck with your planning.

Zippy 1
12-29-2007, 12:14 PM
We are hoping to rent a condo. I have been checking and this is going to be an expensive adventure. But our daughter is hoping to be competing in 2010. She has a lot ot hard work to get there. But we are planning ahead. We here that the ticket prices are outrageous!

pcoleman
12-29-2007, 01:10 PM
I have the ticket prices and they are NOT cheep. Do either of you have a number, agency or anything about renting that I could contact?

murphy1
01-02-2008, 09:22 AM
I just moved to Atlanta from Tampa during the Summer Olympics. People started renting out their homes at these crazy rates and there was this weird hysteria about traffic, but in actuality the hotels did not fill up and the homes just sat there. We bought tickets from a friend who had extras for the track and field events (I ran track in MS and HS and after, so that was great for me!) We saw Michael Johnson win another gold medal. We also sat one row up from the lady who won the marathon race, a lot of the athletes like to watch other events. The tix to figure skating are like gymnastics, very, very hard to get to expensive like Hannah Montana LOL. You probably remember our US team won gold for gymnastics and Keri Strug got hurt on the vault. Anyway, you can get tix to many events, so look at all of them and plan your trip accordingly. Pin trading is as big as it is at Disney, so if you like that, do that, too.