PDA

View Full Version : When do you take down your Christmas decorations?

disneydeb
12-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Before New Years Day or after and why?

BronxTigger
12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
It depends...on things like if we were out of town, or really busy with guests, among other things.

This year, my husband and I put up the tree just before Christmas and we were thinking about leaving it up a long time, but now I'm thinking about taking it down before I have to go back to work on the 2nd.

kakn7294
12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
After - we just like to leave them up! I don't put them up any too early so we can leave them up through the New Year without getting tired of looking at them.

Caroleh
12-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Usually until New Years day...this year, it's today, so I'll have another thing packed!!!

RenDuran
12-29-2007, 10:22 AM
I started putting some things away yesterday....I was so tired of straightening things up! My little boy loves playing with all the small collectibles we've accumulated over the years.

Ohhohohhhh*ItsMagic
12-29-2007, 11:24 AM
It goes up the day after Thanksgiving and goes down the day after Christmas. That seems to be a tradition at our house.

Darbylew
12-29-2007, 11:50 AM
I take mine down before New Year's eve. I did
start taking things down yesterday. I put my
decorations right after Thanksgiving. I am
almost done now. I will miss the tree and all
the lights.

disneymom15
12-29-2007, 12:10 PM
The tree will hopefully come down today. Outside lights stay up until te weather gets better

merlinmagic4
12-29-2007, 12:16 PM
We've always done New Year's Day but I'm thinking about doing it New Year's Eve this year so we don't have so much to do with school the next day!

SgtTigger
12-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Wait we have to take them down???????

No really we leave our outside decorations up till after New Years. Reason???? Not sure we always have so that on New Years we can light up the yard to shoot fireworks.....

Now the Christmas tree stays up till January 6th which is kings day and the start of the Mardi Gras season....... Some people around here don't take the tree down they just change it to a Mardi Gras tree and change out the decorations on it.......

:cop: :tigger:

amd780
12-29-2007, 04:01 PM
We put our decorations up the weekend after Thanksgiving, and take them down a day or two after New Year's. I like to enjoy them for as long as possible! :)

pink
12-29-2007, 04:56 PM
We usually take our decorations down a few days after New Year's Day- it depends how lazy were feeling. :blush:

:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
12-29-2007, 06:24 PM
We don't typically put up the decorations until a week or so before Christmas and we take down the outdoor lights on New Year's Day. However, the inside decorations stay up until the 12th day of Christmas. It's a tradition my mom always had and besides, keeping the tree up and decorated a little longer lessens the shock of it being the end of the holiday season.

conorsmom2000
12-29-2007, 06:58 PM
New Year's day, or as soon after as possible! I love the holidays and love decorating, but I like getting things back in order, too! :blush:

Ian
12-29-2007, 07:40 PM
It takes so darn long to put everything up that we normally will leave them until the first weekend after New Years.

Like this year I'll take ours down on the 4th or 5th.

dolphinmickey9170
12-29-2007, 07:47 PM
The outside lights go up on black Friday and will come down the weekend after New Years. The inside decos come out on black Friday as well, but are usually removed the day after christmas. With my BGE bill being so high this year, the tree didn't go up until we returned from out WDW trip on the 21st and is coming down tomorrow.

prprincess
12-29-2007, 08:29 PM
I usually wait until New Year's Day.

But I actually took everything down yesterday. Only because I was in serious cleanup the house mode, and I knew if I didn't get it done yesterday while I wanted to, it was going to take me way longer if I waited. I have two little ones now, and I always have to take advantage of the free time that I have.

TikiGoddess
12-29-2007, 08:56 PM
We put up our tree unusually early this year (Dec 2) because of my two little girls who could not WAIT for the Christmas season to start! I thought it was too early but what do you know, I fell in love with Christmas this year. Seeing them get so excited about the music, the traditions, the 'reason for the season'... it was a very nice month.

Now I don't want to take the tree down!! Hubby says New Year's day. :( before we have to go back to work. He's probably right but if I can get the tree to stay up a couple days more I'll fight for it!

TikiG

DisneyGiant
12-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Outside lights go dark after 1/6 - which we call "little Christmas." Supposedly, that's when the three kings reached the manger.

Indoor decorations start on New Year's Day (if we have the energy) and the following weekend.......

I hate taking the decorations down! (They went up day after Thanksgiving!!)

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
12-29-2007, 10:04 PM
We take ours down the day after New Year's .

I already took the outside decorations down.

I really love our tree but, By New Year's I am done looking at it...lol.

tinksmom02
12-29-2007, 10:16 PM
This year we were a little late in getting the decorations us (late, as in the penguin and reindeer never made it outside and I STILL haven't found the shower curtain and stuff for the bathroom :confused:), BUT everything came down today. I love the decorations, but I love how uncluttered the house feels right after we take all the decorations down. Doesn't last that long, but still...

The lights will stay on the house until DH gets up there to rip them down. We don't light the house after Christmas day. Not sure why...

PirateLover
12-30-2007, 01:27 AM
I have to be honest, I can't stand it when I see people throwing out trees the day after Christmas.
We don't touch a thing until Jan 6th aka 12th day of Christmas aka the Epiphany aka 3 Kings day aka Little Christmas ;)
I don't know if it's a Catholic thing or what but that has always been the tradition in my family, and I will continue it.

RedheadWriter
12-30-2007, 01:37 AM
Everything comes down on January 1 (afternoon after we eat). It has always been the way we've done it because my mom says that since she has the day off, she might as well get stuff done! In my house, I usually leave things up for a couple of days after New Year's or until the majority of my neighbors take their stuff down.

Dsnygirl
12-30-2007, 02:46 AM
We usually wait until after New Year's... usually the first weekend after for the tree, maybe the next weekend for all the other decorations. Of course, the snowmen all stay around until mid-March... :blush:

Terra
12-30-2007, 04:13 AM
We put our stuff up on Thanksgiving so generally we take it down before the new year...however this year it's up until at least New Year's day....

But being 3 months pregnant and super exhausted I don't even feel like taking it down at all....maybe I'll just keep it up all year...:secret: Just kidding!! lol...

comicguy
12-30-2007, 08:59 AM
We normally leave the decorations up until after new years but this year we took them down yesterday. We have a lot going on this week so we thought it best besides it also gives us some room back in the house(lol).

Bethis26fan
12-30-2007, 10:10 AM
I take mine down before new years, although it's been raining all weekend so I'm not going to get my outdoor ones down till later on.

Jsgirl26
12-30-2007, 02:12 PM
We usually take them down right after New Year's, whenenver we both get a day off to do it together.

princessgirls
12-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Weekend after New Years!!

I always decorate the weekend of Thanksgiving and take down weekend after New Year's Day.

I like to enjoy the tree and decorations for the full season, in as much as it's a two day job putting everything out and two days taking it all down and putting it away.

Julie:mickey:

TikiGoddess
12-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Holy cow, I'm tired.

I just spent the last four hours putting away all the Christmas decorations and rearranging the living room. The kids were down at Grandma's house playing outside with my hubby so it was the perfect chance to get it all done!

But I'm still sad that the tree is down. :(
Kathy

KarenP
12-30-2007, 05:45 PM
With New Years Day being on a Tuesday this year, ours will come down the weekend after. I always feel sad taking everything down. The house seems to look so empty after.

thrillme
12-30-2007, 06:01 PM
I hate taking down the decorations...but...I guess I usually start doing so the weekend after new years.

I think we're supposed to leave them up till the 7th of January and quite often that seems to be the case but there's just so much involved.

HOWEVER...one year (back in the days when we ALWAYS bought REAL trees...). We got the tree really early like right after Thanksgiving. We put it in a bucket of soil with some miracle grow and it actually did. We ended up leaving it up till May.

As for outside decorations...one year my Mom got rather sick after Christmas (I was a kid then but I "think" that was the year she got skin cancer...thank the lord she is doing very well 30 years later...) But...our Christmas lights outside never came down. It finally started getting close to Christmas so we just turned them on.

pokci
12-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Epiphany (January 5) and Feast of Jordan (January 6) and Orthodox Christmas (January 7). And by the English way there are 12 days of Christmas. The decorations stay up until at least January 7th.

scottgr
12-30-2007, 10:05 PM
We already took our tree down cause is was losing all the needles. But keep everthing up for another week :santa:

GrandFlo
12-30-2007, 10:10 PM
I just finished! :blush:

I get the serious after Christmas blues, especially this year because it's the first time we are not going to Disney in Jan or Feb.

For some reason, I find the decorations depressing after Christmas.

ElenitaB
12-30-2007, 11:13 PM
This is an unusual year for us (the tree didn't go up until Christmas Eve :blush:), but normally, the decorations stay in place until after the Dia de los Reyes Magos, or Jan 7.

WDWron2008
12-31-2007, 05:44 PM
my Christmas Decorations will be comming down new years day

tinkwest
12-31-2007, 06:59 PM
:tree: My tree and indoor decorations will come down the first day I have off after New Years Day. So this year that means I will get to work on that on January 6th.

:newyear: In celebration of the new year we always turn our outside lights on through January 1st. Will I be taking them down on the 2nd? Probably not. One year I think we had them up until almost Easter. We are great procrastinators. :blush:

jillluvsdisney
01-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I just took down the tree this afternoon. I usually do it every year right around New Year's Day.

2Epcot
01-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Usually we start taking things down the weekend after New Year's or a few days after Jan. 1rst, which ever comes first.

Kairi_7378
01-01-2008, 11:55 PM
My decorations are up by December 6, the Feast of Saint Nicholas. The exception to this rule is if I get a live tree, which we don't usually purchase until the 15th or so so that it stays fresh.

The decorations come down on January 6, the Feast of the Epiphany (Three Kings Day).

diz_girl
01-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I also wait until after the Epiphany. I think I just use that as an excuse to wait longer because it's sad to take down the tree and the other decorations.

animalkingdomguy
01-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Ours are still up I'm guessing this weekend.