PDA

View Full Version : Should I do it?

Lorraine444
12-29-2007, 09:07 AM
I have the opportunity for a Disney trip in April 08. A friend from work has a time share 2 blocks from Disney. It sleeps 10 & my son (13) and I have been invited.

Pro's - Don't have to pay for hotel.

Con's - April is very busy!
Will only be there about 5 days.
Flights will be expensive!
Have to rent a car.

I can't decide if it's worth it.
Wanted to make my next Disney trip in a not so busy time, my last visit was Aug. 07.
We stayed @ Pop and used the busses.
We paid $69 ding fares.
I need alot of recoup time when getting back!
I'm getting too old for this running around (I'm 42)! My head wants to be a kid, and my body says SLOW DOWN!
What should I do? :confused:

glenpreece
12-29-2007, 09:44 AM
I'd personally go!!!! Any excuse to go to disney is worth it. Especially if your are getting something free it's even more reason to go. Friends of mine are going in april and want me to go but since I am going in 2 weeks I said no. Had they offered me a free stay then I would consider it.

GO GO GO!!!!!

RedheadWriter
12-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Go. You'll regret it if you don't go. I say any opportunity to go to WDW is a good one!

PetefromRI
12-29-2007, 10:39 AM
I would bet that if you go during a slower time like value season, between the cheaper airline tix and room rates at a value resort,it would be cheaper to go at that time than during a busy time even with a free room.Plus the cost of a rental car in April is pretty high.If money isn't really an issue though I'd say go for it.

MinnieMommie
12-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Even though the room is free the airfare and car rental will likely be costly enough zero out the cost of the free room.If you don't like crowds and want more time than 5 day so you can relax more then maybe use the $$$s to go when you want in a way that will be more comfortable for you. Just a thought. :mickey:

Ohhohohhhh*ItsMagic
12-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Let me tell you about an unplanned trip we took a couple of years ago. We were offered a chance to go to Florida in July and our friends had a timeshare to use that they asked us to stay with them. My husband was absolutely reluctant to go but the kids and I begged him to change his mind. We ended up going and it was adventerous to say the least! To start us off, our friends booked the wrong dates on their flights. Thankfully the airline let them go through anyway. Then the first night we were there we stopped off at a burger king to grab a bite to eat and their youngest son threw up all over the booth while we were eating. Then they lost their keys to the rental car and my husband, being the great guy that he is, dug through the trash (that had the puked-on rags in it) and didn't come up with the keys. Came to find out later that they locked the keys in the car and the rental company wouldn't give them a new one so they had to pay to get a locksmith. The crowds at the parks were jam packed and we weren't able to do everything we wanted to do. Went to the beach and our friends got stung by a jellyfish. I can't even go into detail about our trip to the waterpark...it's horrible! Then their other son got sick and they stayed behind a day or two. We honestly did have a good time ( I don't think our friends did) and we laugh about it all now but our trip made in haste would've been more fun had we waited. We usually go in Jan. and find that that is the most ideal time for us to go and we find it's way better to stay in a place of our own then with others. If you have any doubts I'd say to wait and go at your own time. But that's just me speaking from an experience of my own.

Darbylew
12-29-2007, 11:47 AM
I would go! Any chance to go to DISNEY is a
trip for me.........:mickey:

Disneytravels
12-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Well... thats hard for me... aytime to go to Disney is a good one but- think about the food too... $$$.
I think I may pass and go on site in Disney do the DDP and save with not renting a car with using the shuttle buses. We have done Disney with friends too much and like to be - On our own. That way we get to do what we want and we are not saying no we are open to anything and the other is saying the same thing and no body ever gets what they want... I like to go with just our family now.
Also if you belong to the $9.00 fare club of spirit.. they just had some really great airfare in April for certain days... something to check into... I belong to it and could let you know the dates if needed. April isn't as busy as March... I would go later April than begining of April.
I still think I would wait maybe till they **Possisbly put out the Free DDP** in April and travel in Aug or September alone...lol.
SIt down and add up the rental car the gas, tickets, food and air verse a vacation on Disney grounds....
Being a travel agent of course I would say Disney grounds can't get any better!!!!:)
But any chance at Disney is hard to pass up!!
Good Luck.
Ang:thumbsup:

Lorraine444
12-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Funny, I knew I would get all types of answers.... Mostly go, It's Disney!
I'm thinking more towards waiting myself.
I have to prepare myself now for the "You're not coming".......They will be disapointed for sure, Me too for that matter. But it just doesn't add up. To much $$$ for soooo little time in Disney.
Thanks for thoughts!

TikiGoddess
12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Hi Lorraine!

Good to see you on the Boards. I haven't been on that much what with the holidays and the kids keeping me busy.... by the way, we're planning another meet in March, check out the Meets board...

I would say go for it. A five day trip will not be so exhausting or overwhelming. April this year is a good time to go --- I think a low crowd level, compared to August. Easter is at the end of March so the crowds associated with that will not affect you. Also, airfare might not be so bad to get because of this. I saw some good fares for April last year on SW from Hartford. Start looking now and expecting good Dings in early February.

As for rental cars, you can find afforable prices. It's just a matter of finding codes etc.

Happy New Year, neighbor!
Kathy

DrWorm2008
12-29-2007, 09:48 PM
GO GO GO!!! Disney is worth it no matter when you go. :cloud9:

mickey&missy
12-30-2007, 08:23 AM
To much $$$ for soooo little time in Disney.

I can't believe I'm saying this but, I have to agree. At first I thought Go, it's WDW. But, if the extra cost of a more expensive flight, the rental car etc is going to cost more then a longer trip at a value resort in a less busy season I'd wait.

Good luck!

RedSoxandPatsfan
12-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I would also have to say go. In viewing your profile and other past threads I would have to add the following possible pros.

Flower and garden festival is going on during this time frame. To anyone who has an interest in flowers and Disney this is a must see.(See Info Central for more information).

Another pro is that you would have some other adults to share the Disney Experience with. This can make World Showcase even more magical.

While the airfare right now is very expensive. I am sure that there will be a reasonable "Ding Fare" as you get closer. We are from MA and will be attending during April. We expect prices to drop as we approach our date.

ICOT affiliate Enterprise seems to have very reasonable rates. If you are a AAA member you can also get discounts on rentals cars, parking and park passes(?).

:mickey:

Lorraine444
12-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Hmmm, I do have AAA.
Do they really have discounts enough to call it a discount?
I will have to check that out! Thanks!

MinnieMommie
12-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Hmmm, I do have AAA.
Do they really have discounts enough to call it a discount?
I will have to check that out! Thanks!

Hey Lorraine - didn't realize it was you the first time I responded. Hope you are well and that you will come to the next CT meet that Kathy is organizing. This must be a tough decision. If you don't have to let your friends know right away you can wait and see if you get a good air deal. Easter is early so you'll miss that crowd. I know what ever you decide to do it will be the best thing. :mickey:

Lorraine444
12-31-2007, 11:58 AM
MinnieMommie & Kathy

Hello to you guys.... Hope all is well.

I will take a look at the next meet to see when & where. Haven't looked yet to be honest.

Nice to hear from you both!
Have a safe New Years Eve & a Healthy & Happy New Year, that will include at least one trip to Disney I'm sure!!!! :mickey:

diz_girl
01-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Although I would say go - I have just one caveat. How well do you know your friend from work and how well do you know anyone else in the party that's going? You may well get stuck vacationing with some nutjob who will make your vacation miserable, even if it is in WDW. Even though it's free, I'm sure that you don't want your vacation ruined because someone in the party who you've never met before is a crackpot who winds up controlling the whole vacation.

A friend of mine just had her trip to NYC to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular ruined by a friend's friend's mother whom she never met before. Yes, you can't control what other people do, but you can control whether or not you get into the situation in the first place.

Just remember, since it's their time share, you've probably ceded control of the entire trip to them. They'll control the car situation, when you leave and come back from the parks, etc. If this is a friend that you know well and have vacationed with him or her before, then great.

However, you say that the time share sleeps ten. There's you, your son and your friend. That's three That leaves seven more people that may go along. Who else that comes along may ruin the trip.

This sounds ominous, but just think about it. I wouldn't want you to have a bad trip. If you do go, have a great time!

KAT1811
01-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Go. You'll regret it if you don't go. I say any opportunity to go to WDW is a good one!

:ditto:

I would go! Any chance to go to DISNEY is a
trip for me.........:mickey:

GO GO GO!!! Disney is worth it no matter when you go. :cloud9:

Lorraine444
01-05-2008, 10:04 AM
I've known 2 of my friends from work for the 18 years I've been employeed there.
The rest I only have known for a little while.
I'm planning on renting my own car as well, so we all plan on spending time alone.
I just feel when you go to Disney and spend all the $$$ it needs to be at least a 7 day trip.
I'm leaning towards not to go.....
Thinking I'll take a great cruise this year, haven't done that for about 4 years....
The beautiful Carribean Islands are great as well......