PDA

View Full Version : One night in Chicago ...

zaneymax
12-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Hello!

DH has surpised me with an overnight stay in Jan. :freeze: in Chicago with seats at the play Wicked :joy:. We live in MI and plan to drive :car: from here to there on a Sat. morning and to return sometime Sun. afternoon. He has also made ressies at the Sheraton Hotel & Towers for our night there.

Here are my questions: Where should we eat dinner before the theatre? I would like to try an authentic Chicago deep dish pizza. :cheers: We like Mexican food and "easy food" - nothing too fancy or expensive.

Also, what should we do during the day? I would like to see Navy Pier and the Sears Tower.

What is your advice? I am a pro when it comes to planning our Disney trips, but I feel like a fish out of water with this one. :blush: I have so little time to plan! Thanks in advance for your help and opinions! BTW - I loved his Christmas gift - a night away to be Wicked with only him! :heart:

Thanks!
Gina

IceRef
12-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Zaneymax:

Hope to contribute a little at least to your question, as we attack the city from Northern Wisconsin now and then.

For the scenic view and ease of moving around, the location of the Sheraton puts you closer to the John Hancock Building on Michigan Ave, and within a decent walk of Navy Pier (which might not be all you think it might be, especially in the winter months). The view from the observation floor there can be even better than Sears Tower due to its proximity to the lakes shore line. It is also a much easier walk from the Sheraton, and saves a cab fare to the west side of the Loop to catch Sears Tower. If you have not done this before, check out the stones from around the world which are implanted in the wall of the Tribune Tower as you walk Michigan Ave.

The pizza question is the hardest - with too many opinions and favorites to mention. Again looking to something close to your hotel, either Geno's East or Pizzeria Due would be great places to check out your taste buds for the Chicago style pizza. Sorry to not be much of a help on the Mexican Food aspect. There is no comparison in our mind when we have the choice.

Have a great time and enjoy the play. We're heading in to town next month for a long weekend and hitting the play “Jersey Boys”.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
12-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Unos. I've taken many an out of town visitor there.

TheMartellFamily
12-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Gino's East is the best Chicago pizza IMHO.

Lightning McQueen
01-01-2008, 10:20 PM
I spent one night in Chicago last week. We did Geno's East and it was great. Get there early cause it gets really busy. But if you have to wait you can hop over to the Disney Store on Michigan Avenue which is on the same block :mickey:

princessjojo
01-01-2008, 10:36 PM
I second the Hancock Bldg. The views from the observation floor are amazing and if I remember correctly, you are, on a great day, able to see 4 states. It gives the story of the Great Chicago Fire & Mrs. O'Leary Cow (I think that's her name). Last time I was there we stayed at the Marriott Towers there on Michigan, so we were in the middle of the mix. Uno's is great, but not what it used to be, but still better than most. It's hard to think of great things to do in Jan. because it 's so cold. I always just enjoy walking Michigan Ave. and looking at the great architecture, especially the Wrigley Bldg. down by the river. Navy pier is ok, but better in the summer.

Have fun! I want to go back so badly, love the shopping there. It is absolutely a great city. You can eat at a different restaurant every day twice a day for a year and never eat at the same one twice.

disneygirlie11
01-01-2008, 11:47 PM
For pizza there is a restaurant I believe named Chicago Pizza and Grinder Co. or something similar. They have delicious pizza 'potpies'! Another one of our favorites is Ed Debevics. It's right downtown and although it's not pizza it is so fun! It's a 50's style diner where everyone gives you alil attitude and it's hilarious. It's similar to 50's Primetime but more over the top.

disneyduggan
01-02-2008, 10:03 AM
You will be here for such a short period of time...just try not to overdo it planning to head from one end of the city to the next. Chicago has many, many dellicious offerings. Keep a list of the favorites people have mentioned and when it is time to eat head to the one you are the closest to, whether you are coming from your hotel or another local point of interest. Navigating any city can be difficult in the sloppy, snowy weather...so don't make things too hard on yourself.

A suggestion I have for simple, but dellicious fast food is the food court in Water Tower Place...Foodlife. Lots of yummy choices, not too expensive and quick!

wire0monkey
01-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Giodano's is the best pizza in town, IMHO.