PDA

View Full Version : Flying Prime Weeks on Southwest

merlinmagic4
12-27-2007, 08:25 PM
I have never flown Southwest. What are their fares like for prime vacation weeks? We have been totally priced out of JetBlue (consistently 399-429 each way for our vacation weeks). I would hate to hold out for Southwest just to find that theirs are the same.

I know people get great fares in off peak times but I am interested to hear from people who have flown Christmas week, February vacation week (President's Week) or the northeast's April vacation week.

Thanks!

Tick-Tock
12-27-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure that SW's fares vary based on holidays. You just have to get online when they open for that particular booking period, because the cheapest fares go quickly. Last year we were able to fly over Christmas for the same $99 each way that SW had been charging for the Denver-Orlando nonstop for months because I booked the day SW opened the flights.

Hair_Razor
12-27-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't know where in Mas. they fly from but I checked from Hartford Ct. and they had high $220 and low $99. good luck.

jodijo
12-27-2007, 09:44 PM
We will be on a Disney Cruise over the Presidents week vacation. I could not get a good rate flying into Florida. I had to pay almost $250 per person on a different airline. However, we come home on Feb 23 and I got airfare through Southwest for $133 per person one way, non-stop. I can't wait!

Donald's Girl
12-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Sign up for Southwest's DING alerts. Everyday they have new specials and you can watch those for sales to Orlando.
If you have already booked a flight at a higher fare, and then they have a sale, you can change your reservation and they will give you credit for the difference on account. You just need to use the credit within a year.
(That's how my husband and I were able to fly down in October just for the Halloween party!)

MinnieMommie
12-28-2007, 05:52 AM
In addition to Hartford, the Boston service area for Southwest is Providence and Manchester, NH. Downloading the DING is a good idea. You will be able to ask for the cities you are interested in so that when a special comes up for them you will be notified (dinged on your computer). The other thing I recommend about Southwest is to check every day and even several times a day. You will really be surprised to find a fare drop to your destination at any time and then go right back up. You really need to keep on checking. :mickey:

TikiGoddess
12-28-2007, 08:01 AM
I think your best bet for low fares will be when they open the dates. I am a HUGE fan of Ding fares but have rarely seen them for vacation weeks. I'm interested in seeing this too -- we're looking at a long trip in April 2009 (during the 3rd week of April) from the NE. We usually go in the summer because we have more time (my DH and I are teachers) and the fact that we can pay $475 for 4 people r/t. If we could find reasonable fares in April I'd love to go then and not have to fight the heat and the crowds.

Good luck! Let me know what you find!
Kathy