PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please!

jwildflower1981
12-27-2007, 12:41 PM
This is my first post, so bear with me. I've stayed at the Animal Kingdon Lodge, and I've just recently come home from Pop Century. I see where the money goes on the difference between value, moderate and deluxe. I will not do value again until I have kids. Deluxe is really pricey. I would like to try the moderate resorts, and there's only 4 to chose from. Port Orleans is out of the question since I live 20 minutes from New Orleans, can anyone give me an opinion on which one you like better, Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs? Which one has a closer bus stop leaving the parks...etc... any advice would help. Also, what date the Disney Gods turn on the Christmas lights?
Thanks!!!

TammiMcMan
12-27-2007, 12:57 PM
My opinion is don't disregard POR simply because of where you live. I did something similar with the YC because we live so close to the eastern shore. Yes, it will be similar, but it's also distinctively Disney. My choice for 2 adults at a moderate, would be POFQ. I like the size, it's not too big to get around. It also feels very romantic and not typically full of convention folks.

As for the Christmas lights, we've been in Disney the first week of January. Until the 2nd or 3rd they were still playing Christmas carols in the park and most of the resort and park decorations are still up. By the 5th or 6th, we noticed that much of it was in the process of coming down.

RedheadWriter
12-27-2007, 01:57 PM
CB is a very large resort as is CS. POFQ, as stated above, is compact, romantic and easy to get around. Not to mention the boat ride to DTD.

mjaclyn
12-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Of all the moderate resorts I definitely prefer Port Orleans. Both the French Quarter and Riverside are wonderful and I would recommend both. I haven't stayed at Coronado Springs and I did like Carribbean Beach, but both of those resorts are HUGE so you should expect a long walk to the bus.

cajunprincess
12-27-2007, 02:16 PM
I, too, live very close to New Orleans, and I have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. I would DEFINATELY stay there again. It was a very nice and quaint little resort, and very well put together. Don't count it out! We have also stayed at Coronado Springs, and it is a HUGE resot in comparison. We did book at water-view room, and was very please to have a "quiet" pool right out of our door. We were also closer to the bus stops there. There are 4 bus stops if I remember correctly at Coronado. I don't remember how many there were at Port Orleans Riverside. Good Luck!!!!!

TheRustyScupper
12-27-2007, 02:39 PM
{Putting on Rose Colored Glasses}

1) POFQ is our favorite Moderate resort.
2) The others are fine, but POFQ is good for us Empty Nesters.
. . . smallest of the resorts
. . . easy to walk entire resort
. . . convenient buses
. . . nice food court
. . . on-site bakery (POSITIVELY LOVELY begnets)
. . . good pool and pool bar
. . . boats to Downtown Disney
3) Did I mention the New Orleans begnets?

{Removing Rose Colored Glasses}

Disnamic Duo
12-27-2007, 04:19 PM
My wife and I have stayed at CS and POR. We definately prefer CS. We liked the theming much better - it's really beautiful (especially at night). We really didn't think the walk was as bad as many make it out to be. I think it was actually shorter than what we had at POR. We stayed in the Casitas section of CS and we were in one of the mansions at POR. Also, the food court (Pepper Market) at CS is the best in our opinion. The selection is excellent. We highly recommend CS.

IloveDisney71
12-28-2007, 11:50 AM
I have stayed at the CBR and loved it. We did pay the little extra amount to have a preferred location since it is a large resort. We were very close to the food court and had a bus stop right outside our building. I don't remember the bldg. name - sorry. We loved the atmosphere and would love to stay there again. There are several bus stops at the CBR and I don't mind walking (that's what you do at Disney), but my DH had recently had a major surgery so I wanted to limit his walking around the resort.

BronxTigger
12-28-2007, 12:12 PM
There is another thread about CSR vs. CBR going on right here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122407).

I have stayed at both CSR and CBR; I compared them in the other thread.

I have never stayed at a Value (yet) but I really like the moderate level category. I just find moderates to be comfortable and I like the way the theming is done at all four moderates.

MinnieMommie
12-28-2007, 01:02 PM
I understand what you are saying about not wanting to stay at POR/POFQ and I think others have made a good case as to why you might not rule it out (that boat ride to DD is a real plus).

I haven't stayed at CS but friends have and really like it. It is a huge place though and a convention center.

I have stayed at CBR - many years ago - and liked it very much. I loved the theming and the quiet pools spread throughout the property. There is also a beach and I believe you can do some water activites that you can't do at the others. :mickey:

mouselover93
12-28-2007, 01:13 PM
i just got back from cbr it was awesome it was kept really clean i dont think i saw 1 piece of trash. theres a beach and in the center theres a little area called caribbean cay which has plants i think from the caribbean. the food was excellent and the staff was nice

ktink
12-28-2007, 09:45 PM
We have only stayed at CSR but I put a great deal of thought into choosing it. We LOVED and adored this resort. The swimming pool and slide were awesome, DH and I enjoyed them as much as the kids. We loved the feel of the resort and it was just beautiful. We stayed in the Cabana section and it had kind of a tropical vibe to it. Anyway we were between bus stops 4 & 1 and across the walkway from the Dig Site. It was a short walk to the Pepper Mkt and Maya Grill.

chicade88
12-29-2007, 09:04 PM
I haven't stayed at CS but friends have and really like it. It is a huge place though and a convention center.

This has always baffled me a bit. Why is it considered a negative that CS is a convention center? Doesn't this simply mean less people on the busses?

BronxTigger
12-29-2007, 09:21 PM
This has always baffled me a bit. Why is it considered a negative that CS is a convention center? Doesn't this simply mean less people on the busses?

It does typically mean less people going to the parks on the buses, but the food court can get more crowded at certain times. The presence of business meetings can also give a more formal atmosphere versus the laid-back, vacation feeling that people look for when going to Disney.

DrWorm2008
12-29-2007, 09:35 PM
I am a huge fan of the CB. I love Old Port Royale and the hammocks by the pool....even though I live in Florida, and the "beach scene" is everywhere. The "themed" buildings are kind of fun, too. Port Orleans Riverside is beautiful. We have stayed there a few times, and I love the landscaping and the boat rides to Downtown Disney. :mickey:

Darbylew
12-29-2007, 09:45 PM
We have stayed at CBR and POFQ. We like
both resorts very much. It depends on what
theme you want. Some of the buildings in both
resorts are closer to the food court and the
bus stops. We always ask for those buildings
and WDW does try to give you what you want.
I know you will have a great time no matter
where you stay. :mickey::thumbsup:

TammiMcMan
12-29-2007, 09:57 PM
This has always baffled me a bit. Why is it considered a negative that CS is a convention center? Doesn't this simply mean less people on the busses?In addition to what BronxTigger noted, convention attendees are also offered discounted tickets, which can usually be used after 5pm for the parks. You may have less crowded buses earlier in the day, but it could be a different experience in the evening.

Marilyn Michetti
12-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Where are my manners?

WELCOME TO INTERCOT !!

You'll like hanging out here, so keep coming back !:thumbsup:

chicade88
12-31-2007, 12:32 AM
It does typically mean less people going to the parks on the buses, but the food court can get more crowded at certain times. The presence of business meetings can also give a more formal atmosphere versus the laid-back, vacation feeling that people look for when going to Disney.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up!

BronxTigger
12-31-2007, 10:05 AM
For what it's worth, I stayed at CSR in October 2007 for a weekend and if there was a convention going on I knew nothing of it. The resort was FULL though...I had forgotten to call in a room area request. I didn't really care too much where we were, but I would have preferred the Cabanas or Casitas (I think they are prettier than the Ranchos). We ended up in the back of the Ranchos and I was told there were no other rooms to put us in at the resort.

So, we stayed in the Ranchos and they are pretty in their own way too, so no loss. But if the resort was full, it didn't seem that way. And I didn't notice anyone dressed for work. And I had a rental car on that trip so I can't say much for the buses....except that I noticed the CSR line was ALWAYS short when I was staying at CBR and my line was usually longer!

jwildflower1981
12-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you all for everyone's input. Its going to be very helpful in my decision making. Have a very Happy New Year, and everyone be safe.:thumbsup: