PDA

View Full Version : Disney On Ice: Princess Wishes Offensive

DisneyPrince
12-26-2007, 04:25 AM
I wrote this email to the producers of the Disney Princess Wishes show on ice:

Hello,
I am contacting you in regards to your Princess Wishes Ice Show.I very much enjoyed the show. I thought the performances were great but there is one thing I found a little offensive and down right inconsiderate.
Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Aurora, Cinderella, and Snow White are very popular princesses and it is understandable that the Disney company chooses to use them on most of the Princess merchandise and marketing instead of including all of the 8 official Disney Princesses which are Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Aurora, Cinderella, Snow White, Mulan(She is not even a Princess according to her movie), and Pocahontas.
You can check the official Disney princess web site to verify that those are the 8 official princesses.

When Choosing to put together this ice show you included Mulan but left out Pocahontas. I can understand if the show just had the 6 main princesses in it but to include Mulan and not Pocahontas is not only offensive but hurtful. Is it because Mulan is Asian so her presence makes the princesses more popular for Asian fans? I find your choice to include an Asian princess and not a native American Princess very disrespectful.
There are plenty of native American fans and little girls who probably wonder why Pocahontas was not in the show as if she was not "good enough". This would be different if I was talking about Esmeralda or Alice in Wonderland but we are talking about an official Disney Princess who is very prominent on the official Disney Princess web site as part of the Princesses. I just do not understand how you could be so insensitive to this especially when you included Mulan?? I mean there was so much of that Tinkerbell running around.. that time spot could have been used for Pocahontas.
We are talking about an award winning and popular Disney Classic with one of the most popular songs of all time "Colors of the Wind". I cannot think of any other reason for your choice in not including her except that you have something against native Americans.

Pocahontas doesn’t even get to be in the Princess Wishes Disney on Ice Show, even though she sings in the original Disney Princess song “If You Can Dream.” The words are changed for the show from “The colors of the wind will lead my heart right back to you” to “The music of romance will lead my heart right back to you.” Why couldn’t they just have included Pocahontas in the show instead of rewording the song?

This is an advertisement for the show.
http://disney.go.com/disneyonice/media/princesswish_header.jpg
This is official Disney Princess art I found.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/30/Ifyoucandreamlogo.jpg

CAS
12-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Sometimes I see merchandise including only 2 or 3 of the princesses, however that doesn't mean that Disney as a company doesn't like Muslims because there wasn't enough room for Jasmine on the clothing. I'm not trying to be disrespectful in any way, just trying to explain that the choice of princesses in a show would be less about company prejudices and more about what's available, the writers' storyline, time constraints, budget, or whatever. There's lots of things in this world to be offended by; I think maybe this one should be lower down the list. ;)

Brer Robert
12-26-2007, 11:24 PM
I'd like to disagree with you as well, just because they forgot to include Pocahontas doesn't mean they have anything against Native Americans or other Indiginous people. They probably didn't include her because they didn't want to make the show too long. Not to mention Mulan is actually a good role model for some girls, she's independant, athletic, and cares more about her family rather than just simply waiting for her prince to come.

kristnjohn
12-30-2007, 02:23 AM
I completely disagree with Disney Prince. Disney has worked very hard to represent as many ethnic groups as possible in everything they do, including their characters. It would be impossible to include every character they have into a 90 minute live show, and without being able to do so, they are going to inivetably have to leave a few of them out.
It is unfortunate that there are a few people out there that will take a magical performance such as Princess on Ice, and instead of being grateful that Disney gives us an opportunity to share this moment with our children in a good, positive light, instead take it and turn it into something as negative as accusing Disney of racial profiling. Disney does more for the communities of the world as a whole than any other major corporation, and they should be recognized for bringing awareness to all nationalities, not torn down for giving one group of people more attention than another for 90 minutes at an ice skating show.

DisneyFanaticDargon
02-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Considering the Pocahontas segment takes up a large chunk of time in Fantasmic where as the other princesses get much less, I'd say it's a fair trade-off.

Camping Mom
02-11-2008, 10:11 PM
I don't think I would have even thought about it!! No disrespect intended, but I am tired of everything being so politically correct. I bet Disney never intended not including Pocahontas to be a slight.