PDA

View Full Version : Any Honda Civic owners?

AvonleaCF
12-25-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm looking to get a new car and I'm leaning toward the Honda Civic Coupe LX. Anyone else have any experience with Civic's? Are they good? I want a reliable car with good mileage (but I can't afford a hybrid). I'm a single person so a small car is all I want and need.

Thanks!

DisneyOtaku
12-25-2007, 07:15 PM
My parents own a Civic and an Accord and I personally LOVE the civic. It's a great little car, so I think it would suit your needs quite well :thumbsup:

epcot3
12-25-2007, 08:56 PM
I have a 92 civic EX. We have owned it since it was new. It now has 302,000 miles, and runs great.:thumbsup: 4 doors, ac works and gets 34 miles per gallon. Yes, it still has the original engine and transmission, nothing has been rebuilt, but I did have the drive axles replaced at around 250,000 miles. (cost was $200.00 for both). Needless to say, I am extremely happy with mine. Good luck in your decision.

Strmchsr
12-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I had a Civic for 5 years and loved it. Only changed out because we needed a bigger car with 2 kids. It's definitely one of the most reliable cars you can get.

tinksmom02
12-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Not exactly a Civic owner, but DH has a 97 Accord, that was his bro's...it's way past 200,000 miles (he drives at least 1 1/2 hours each way to work), and he only needs to give it routine maintenance.

Honda's pretty well known for their reliability, I think.

vizsla
12-26-2007, 05:41 AM
DW has a Honda CRV and loves it. It has been very dependable, great on gas, and it is roomy for when your traveling.

DizneyRox
12-26-2007, 07:43 AM
I too am a huge Honda fan. Wouln't get near a domestic car with a 10 foot pole, but many of the imports are pretty good.

You really can't go wrong with a Honda if it suits your needs. I'm not sold on the hybrids and would go with a traditional gas engine regardless. The repairs scare with with a hybrid.

laprana
12-27-2007, 01:34 PM
I am definitely a very happy Civic owner! I purchased my first Civic in 2002, an EX coupe, and loved it! I never had any problems with it at all, and other than routine maintenance, it was only in the shop one time for a new alternator. It got great gas mileage and was really reliable. It had a little over 100,000 miles when I traded it in. I got a new Civic EX coupe last year (well, actually in January 2007) and I love it even more than my '02. It has some really great features on it that most small cars in its class don't have. It gets great gas mileage, too. Knock on wood, I haven't had any problems so far (hope I didn't just jinx myself :blush:).

One of the things I love about my new Civic is that it has a "maintenance minder," which is a system that keeps track of when the car needs maintenance for you. It keeps track of how you drive (how fast you accelerate, how hard you brake, etc.) along with the mileage, and when it's time for an oil change, tire rotation, or something else, a little light comes on in the dash telling you what needs to be done. I love it because you don't have to go just by how many miles are on the car. Before, I got oil changes every 3,000 miles like clockwork, but I don't have to do that now. I went about 6,700 miles before my light came on for my first oil change! I was a little skeptical of this, so around 3,500 miles I called my dealer to make sure I didn't need to get the oil changed even though the light hadn't come on, and they assured me that I didn't! It saves me a little $$ not having to get oil changes so often! :thumbsup:

I would definitely recommend a Civic. You might pay a little more up front for it than you would if you got a Ford or Chevy, but you'll most likely save money in the long run because you won't have to pay for repairs like you would on other cars. Plus, Civics are known to rack up the miles without any major problems. They also hold their value for a lot longer than other cars, so you get more out of them when you sell or trade them in later. I come from a Honda family, so I'm probably a little biased! But, my stepmom and sister have Honda Accords (2000, and 2002, respectively) right now and have never had any problems with them. My dad had an Accord for about 6 years, then sold it to a friend with 150,000 miles on it. The friend kept it for another 5 years and when he sold it, the car had over 300,000 miles on it. The only thing either one of them had to have done to it was a new timing belt. Hondas really are great cars! Good luck with your decision!

AvonleaCF
12-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for that detailed response, laprana! I greatly appreciate it!

laprana
12-28-2007, 04:14 PM
You're so very welcome! Let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be glad to try and answer them as best I can! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
12-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Civics are great cars! My family has owned them since 1985. I have two sisters and our first cars were ALL civics. In 2003 I sold my 5 year old civic to "upgrade" to an Acura. The Acura is great too, but we are going to sell it soon (DH is deploying for 13 months, so doesn't make sense to keep it right now). When he gets back, though, he's buying a Civic to replace it!

My personal favorite thing about Hondas in general is the low maintenance costs/"no aggravation" factor. In almost 10 years of owning Hondas, we've NEVER had to do any service outside of maintenance. That's pretty good for having a Civic and two CR-V's...

pink
12-28-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't drive a Civic but I do work at Honda dealership and Civic's are very reliable cars. :mickey:

Dixie Springs
12-30-2007, 05:05 PM
I've never heard a single bad thing about Civics (nor Accords, for that matter). Honda has the car-making bit near perfection - and that's a scary thing for a resident of a Detroit suburb to admit!