PDA

View Full Version : FW, C Beach, ? Help!

rockntot
12-23-2007, 08:07 PM
We are going to be traveling to DW in 2008, most likely in the spring.

We have a 13 yr old boy, 4 yr old boy and 20 month old daughter.

We are looking at either a FW Cabin, or staying at Carribean Beach.

Any thoughts of those two? I see that CB is scheduled to revamp their main pool next year - - does this cause huge problems for us?

This will make our 4th trip to DW - - have previously stayed off property, at All Star Movies and at Port Orleans.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and helop!

PetefromRI
12-23-2007, 08:41 PM
I see that this is your first post.Welcome and keep comming back.The CBR is one of our favorite resorts.We were there in Sept. and were told that with the old pool being demo'd there may be alot of noise and smells while this work is being done so we opted on POFQ for our May trip.Years ago we stayed in the FW Cabins and while they were nice, if it wasn't for the quiet pool nearby we might not have swam as much.River Country was great but with that gone the resort just doesn't do it for us.If your into camping it would be right down your alley but without a car or cart rental the place is just to big.I'd try another resort unless this is your thing.

Dixie Springs
12-23-2007, 09:55 PM
We just came back from CBR, and have not stayed in the cabins (want to sometime), so I can only speak for one side.

The CBR is our fav, but I would check the schedule on the main pool construction. I heard it's going to start right after the holidays (though there is construction ongoing right now in that area - looks like they're building an extended dock/walkway). If the main pool is going to be closed at the time of your stay, that could put a dent in the experience. Although, it was too cold to swim this week, and we enjoyed our stay anyway!

rockntot
12-23-2007, 10:15 PM
it isn't my first time on Intercot, I just couldn't get the kinks figured out with my old password, so I started over :)

We will have a car . . .

The more I look, the more I wonder about room size.

Our 13 year old is big . . . 160 lbs, 5' 8" . . . so it's almost as if we have 3 adults and two kids . . .

Do we need to go the route of two rooms? Or get a suite somewhere? I am getting very overwhelmed when I try to look at the different options (not to mention trying to find out square footage for the different rooms).

eeyoremom
12-23-2007, 10:32 PM
We were going to WDW with 4 children at one time. Now we're just the 2 of us. At that time, we loved the cabins. The full kitchen is great for quick snack, beverages, breakfast. The bedroom is seperate, so some can go to bed early if needed. The extra space was great. Fort Wilderness is large, but you soon learn how everything works. I would like to go back to the cabins again sometime. The only real drawback is no real food court. A big plus is the tons of activities the kids can enjoy(bikes,canoes,golf carts,basketballs, volleyball, etc... All of our now grown children still talk about the movie with Chip and Dale. You'll have a great time whichever you choose.

pixiesmimi
12-23-2007, 11:18 PM
We loved the CBR! It wouldn't matter to us if they were repairing the main pool because we would use the quiet pool by our village anyway. We didn't even go to the big pool while there. Unless the reverb effects the OPR or food court, it wouldn't matter to us. The rooms are quiet spacious but we have gone with several children before and gotten connecting rooms which worked out real well when some wanted to go to sleep before others. Or a place with a family suite would be nice when you have older and younger children involved.

BronxTigger
12-23-2007, 11:34 PM
I'd do CBR now and save the cabins for later when your little one gets old enough to count towards the room maximum. The only problem is if you have your hearts set on using that main pool.

Personally, I don't think you're missing much by not having the main pool. It looks cool but it's not much bigger than the village pools. Also, the slide at CBR is very short. The re-make of this pool is necessary for a resort of that size.

I love CBR. :cloud9:

busterthebronco
12-24-2007, 12:50 AM
we love the cabins in the spring because they are quiet when the parks are crazy.
they are roomy tro with two tv's and a real kitchen.
also we can park right next to the room so heading to the parks or whatever is very easy as is unloading our luggage and of course loading up for home.
the pool deal is a big reason we dont stay there on summer trips.
the lack of a food court can be bad but the grill by the deck and trails end buffet make up for it.

PetefromRI
12-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Unless you just use the room to sleep,it will be tight with one room.I'd think about ajoining or connecting rooms.In your case the cabins would be a good fit for your sized family.I'd still prefer two rooms at a moderate or if money was no object a two room villa at one of the DVC Resorts.Don't get me wrong,the cabins were pretty nice and the resort was very quiet.We're just resort kind of people and we like to be able to walk to all the resort activities.We'd even consider a couple of rooms at the Value resorts,kids love them and the're very reasonably priced.Whatever your decision,you'll have a great time.

Buttercup
12-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I would definitely choose the cabins. Not only will you have lots of space (for your littler ones to spread out toys in the living room!) but you'll have a whole kitchen at your convenience, and several different rooms to use if you come back mid-afternoon for a nap... not everyone has to sit quietly while the others sleep.
I love staying at the Ft Wilderness cabins. The only thing I don't like is that the pools aren't themed in any way -- they're just regular outdoor pools. But you know kids, they don't care what the theme is when they're swimming! So it's just up to you guys if you're willing to give up a well-themed pool (at the CBR) for a whole lot more space in the cabins.

KAT1811
12-24-2007, 10:46 AM
I'd go with a cabin too. We travel with our three children and stay at the Coronado Springs and never have a problem with room size but we have three little girls (10, 3, &1) as they get older we will certainly have to figure out other options. We are going to try a deluxe this year because after this year we won't fit in one room anymore (hopefull, DH and I are going to try for #4 in the fall).

With all that being said we did the cabins when I was a child and we used to travel in large groups (we'd get a few next to each other) they were great. With the ages of your children I think you would enjoy the cabins. There is quite a bit of activity in FW and geared for all ages. Plus the added benefit of a full kitchen with the little ones is wonderful. They have campfire movie nights with Chip and Dale, the Electrical Water Pageant goes by the beach, a petting zoo, pony rides, hay rides, the list just goes on and on. I would also recommend looking into renting a golf cart for the duration of your trip. That way you can go back and forth between your site and the bus stop without too much hassle. Good luck with whatever you choose. Have a great trip!!!

P.S. - We are'nt that impressed with the CBR. Not that it wasn't okay but we won't be back again.