PDA

View Full Version : Monsters Inc. Coaster Coming To Disney Studios

John
12-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Hey All:

Word coming from a west coast source of mine that a Monsters Inc. themed suspended roller coaster is coming to Florida's Disney Studios. I've heard it's going to occupy space next to/near where the new Toy Story Mania is going in.

More details as I get them but I think this has both potential as a ride (could be rather intersting and something not seen in many other parks) and a high probability of happening as far as rumours go.

2009-2010 opening date...

Discuss ;)

JOHN

Marker
12-23-2007, 02:19 PM
That would be awesome.

I only hope they maintain the philosophy of rides being themed so you don't see the ride so much.

I've always feared that with the coming of more thrill rides, that the skyline of the WDW parks would become littered with the mechanical aspects of rides rather than theming details.

They did a great job with Expedition Everest, you see a little bit of the ride for some great anticipation, but what you mostly see is the mountain... you see the theming, not the ride.

While I have no reason to believe they'll do anyting differently, I will be keeping my fingers crossed.

BTW - I've always thought, from the day I first saw the movie, that the doors on the conveyor line would make a great roller coaster opportunity.

Melanie
12-23-2007, 02:32 PM
BTW - I've always thought, from the day I first saw the movie, that the doors on the conveyor line would make a great roller coaster opportunity.

:yes:

PirateLover
12-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Exciting! Not only will this continue to re-invigorate the Studios, but it will also hopefully draw traffic away from Sunset Blvd by placing a thrill type ride in another area of the park . :thumbsup:

dizneeat
12-23-2007, 02:52 PM
:party: Oh my, that would be awsome! :party:
Maybe they could use some bits and pieces of the Crush coaster in Paris. That's an awsome ride as well. More reasons to go to Disney in the years to come!!! :mickey:

joanna71985
12-23-2007, 03:09 PM

I've always thought that too!! And still do, btw.

DisneyDudet
12-23-2007, 03:30 PM
:party: Oh my, that would be awsome! :party:
Maybe they could use some bits and pieces of the Crush coaster in Paris. That's an awsome ride as well. More reasons to go to Disney in the years to come!!! :mickey:

Oh my gosh, my first thought!!! That has to be the coolest ride ever!!! I think they should make that ride somewhere, because it is just so amazing!

I thought that from when I first saw the movie, that Disney should cash in on the inverted coaster deal. It just better not be like all the other ones I've ridden. We have one here at Six Flags and one at Sea World. Both are practically the same coaster. It would need to be indoors, I would think.

Ian
12-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Is it just me or has the entire concept of the "theme park" just escaped WDI?

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
12-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Is it just me or has the entire concept of the "theme park" just escaped WDI?Give this idea some time. They haven't hung the black curtains on this one...yet.

big blue and hairy
12-23-2007, 05:02 PM

Considering the fact that I and several others suggested just this kind of ride as part of the door chase scene, and the fact that it is in Pixar Place, next to Toy Story Mania....yeah, I think it's you....;)

:sulley:

JPL
12-23-2007, 05:53 PM

I think they lost it as well the theming seems to be becoming secondary the only park that has stayed true to it's storyline and theming is AK. With the exception of the Nemo Musical as much as I like the show it just doesn't fit into AK.

Marker
12-23-2007, 08:22 PM

I think they lost it as well the theming seems to be becoming secondary the only park that has stayed true to it's storyline and theming is AK. With the exception of the Nemo Musical as much as I like the show it just doesn't fit into AK.

And here it comes. Let the negativity begin, even with just a glimmer of a rumor and almost no details at all. "Monsters Inc. themed suspended roller coaster " is all that's been stated, and some believe they've already failed. I think I'll have to respectfully disagree with what to me seems to be a premature assessment.

If I may borrow from someone else's style...

1) Monster's Inc. themed --- cool!!!
2) Suspended Roller Coaster ---- Really cool!!!!
3) coming to Florida's Disney Studios --- good, they need more stuff there.
4) at this point, that's really all we've heard. I believe I'll choose to anticipate something fabulous. But that's just my opinion.

lockedoutlogic
12-23-2007, 10:14 PM
well...in a mass media world...I'm not sure the longing for elaborately themed, educational, shows and dark rides is really still applicable...

the era of wow for things like potc and Imagination! are probably retired to history at this point....

I would think that a better course of actions is to encorporate those low thrill types of ventures as secondary...rather than primary draws....so things like everest, mission space, and a new mgm thrill machine have to be incorporated...there just doesn't seem to be any feasible way around this.

But purists...like the esteemed Ian...quickly sound the trumpet of "that's not disney"...

true from one perspective....but this isn't the 20th century...walt's world has been changed, destroyed, built up, remodeled, and expanded upon....

Maybe steel coasters are a dangerous slope to attempt to walk down....certainly wdw need not become six flags....

...but in an era where kids of any age can design, build, and ride their own amusement parks rides on their xbox and playstation.....perhaps the "disney" style ride is taking its rightful place as the second fiddle....

G-Forces to get them there....then dazzle them with food, charm, education....and all things disney to get them back again and again...

Disney certainly hasn't overdone it with thrills to this point....in eisner's 20 years...they added 2 gates and a grand total of 5 legitimate thrill attractions: Splash Mountain (laced with animatronic bunnies), TOT, Test Track (likely soon to be going away), Rock n Roller Coaster and Mission: Space (again...no way to know how long this puppy will last)

5 rides in 20 years...that's not exactly filling the parks with cheap tawdry thrills....

MGM needs serious expansion...as does Animal Kingdom...Iger and co seem to be putting efforts into revitalizing the parks and expanding the appeal of mgm and animal kingdom....
...that is a sound and completely necessary step at this time.

Marker
12-23-2007, 10:26 PM
the era of wow for things like potc and Imagination! are probably retired to history at this point....

Goodness, I hope not.

Nothing, no amount of G-force, can replace the thrills a properly tuned imagination can provide. Trouble is, we're just not allowed as many opportunities to excercise our imaginations.

kristnjohn
12-23-2007, 11:44 PM
I look forward to the next greatest thrill ride and roller coaster just as much as the next person, but not at Disney. Disney has been the most successful THEME Park company since opening in '71, and it's done so without the major steel coasters plastered all over it's grounds. Disney needs to maintain it's focus on themed grounds, characters, and rides that the entire family can enjoy with the youngsters. My DS7 and DD4 love all aspects of Disneyworld, there's almost nothing there that they can't enjoy, and the Magic of the themed worlds, characters, friendly rides, is the reason we will continue to make our annual 9-day trip from Wisconsin to Orlando every year.
I have to wonder, if Disney continues to take up space that my kids enjoy so much right now and replace it with large massive thrill rides, in 20 years from now, what will be left from my kids memories that they can take their own kids there to enjoy as they once did?
I wouldn't mind seeing a new Monster's ride at the park, but I don't think it needs to be a massive steel coaster spread out around the park. The "kid" in all us, teenagers up, have plenty of options for the thrill coaster parks a heck of a lot closer to most of us than Orlando, and we can go there anytime on a day trip. Disney World is very unique, they need to keep the magic, and maintain something that has worked for so long for them and keep my family going back for years to come as a destination.

Ian
12-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Considering the fact that I and several others suggested just this kind of ride as part of the door chase scene, and the fact that it is in Pixar Place, next to Toy Story Mania....yeah, I think it's you....;)

:sulley:Yeah, after I thought about it I guess it's not really that terrible.

I mean it can/could fit with the park's theming certainly as well as RRC or ToT do now. And I'm sure it could be a cool coaster. I'm also one of those people who's first reaction on seeing that door scene in the movie was, "Oooh! Lots of theme park ride potential there!"

magicman
12-24-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm probably just being a "cotton-headed ninny muggins [Elf]", but I love the idea.

big blue and hairy
12-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Yeah, after I thought about it I guess it's not really that terrible.

I mean it can/could fit with the park's theming certainly as well as RRC or ToT do now. And I'm sure it could be a cool coaster. I'm also one of those people who's first reaction on seeing that door scene in the movie was, "Oooh! Lots of theme park ride potential there!"

As I was posting last time, I thought you had been in favor of that type of ride... You may have to go back to "Wacky" :D

Stitichgawrsh
12-24-2007, 02:56 PM
I have actually been thinking of the idea of a Monsters Inc. Coaster for a long time( maybe like 1-2 years). I was thinking that they could have a suspended coaster and the vehicles were doors and as you go along in the coaster, you see characters or the story. This is an awesome idea and I've been waiting for a long time for this to happen.:number1:

Janmac
12-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Perhaps we have to define thrill ride. Carousel of Progress and it's a small world both thrilled people with their new technology when they first premiered. People couldn't stop talking about either of them. I recall when Pirates of the Caribbean first came out at Disneyland and how absolutely captivating the attraction was.

As was mentioned, with the advances we've had over the last many decades, how do we come up with attractions as captivating as those 3 were at the time? Society now is not as technologically innocent as we were. If a regular inverted roller coaster ride can be dressed up to give the feel of Monsters, Inc, I'm all for it.

Jan

Attendee of the 1964 New York World's Fair

kristnjohn
12-26-2007, 01:13 AM
I would agree Jan, if they can come up with a clever way to dress this coaster up and theme it very well, and without taking away any of the current traditional items in the park, then I'm all for it!!!
It was the scare of a steel coaster skyline that had me cringing of DW becoming another blah Six Flags.....but I know the voice of all the great Intercotees wouldn't let that happen!

wedway fan
12-26-2007, 10:01 AM
i wasn't on this site back when EE was being developed, but i'd guess that the speculation then was more positive towards it. we all looked past the "why does the world need another coaster" mentality because of the amazing theming of that attraction.

as others have said, because it can stay true to the film itself, this monsters inc. idea has lots of potential. with a little disney magic, what might be just another suspended coaster at another park will be an E-ticket we'll be raving about for years.

poeticeclipse
12-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Okay, here's the thing.

On one hand, i'm sick of every new ride revolving around a Disney movie and not just "themed" in general.

On another hand, it IS Disney Hollywood Studios. It's all about the movies and music. I guess it WOULD fit! PLUS, I have a serious love for Monsters Inc. and I think that a coaster themed to Monsters Inc. would be pure perfection. If they wanted to put the coaster anywhere else other than the Studios, I would not be all for it.

big blue and hairy
12-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Okay, here's the thing.

On one hand, i'm sick of every new ride revolving around a Disney movie and not just "themed" in general.

On another hand, it IS Disney Hollywood Studios. It's all about the movies and music. I guess it WOULD fit! PLUS, I have a serious love for Monsters Inc. and I think that a coaster themed to Monsters Inc. would be pure perfection. If they wanted to put the coaster anywhere else other than the Studios, I would not be all for it.

If you look at the Magic Kingdom, the majority of the rides had to do with Disney movies, or in the case of the Jungle Cruise, Disney's real life adventures. This isn't a new thing, it's a Disney thing.

PirateLover
12-26-2007, 12:04 PM
If you look at the Magic Kingdom, the majority of the rides had to do with Disney movies, or in the case of the Jungle Cruise, Disney's real life adventures. This isn't a new thing, it's a Disney thing.

I don't think Walt ever actually encountered Pirates , a Haunted Mansion full of goofy ghosts, or rooms full of children bolted to the floor singing in different languages ;)
The point is there was a nice balance which sometimes doesn't seem to exist anymore. Everest was a great departure from that mentality but on the other hand now we have Finding Nemo attractions and soon Toy Story attractions in more than 1 park. I think it's fine to base rides around movies but Disney can sometimes overdo it, that's all. :twocents:

CandleontheWater
12-26-2007, 12:21 PM
It may just be me, but I think a Monsters Inc coaster would fit in VERY well with the themeing of DHS, esp. if they construct it near toy story mania. The entire park is supposed to be themed around great movies and experiences from Hollywood, and perosnally I consider Monsters Inc, Toy Story, and the other Pixar computer animated movies to both be an important milestone in movie development, and a showcase of the best Hollywood has to offer. I also am not at all worried that the Imagineers are just going to slap up a giant steel monstrosity in the middle of DHS and call it the new monsters inc coaster. I'm sure its going to be an amazing showcase of themeing and technology that will provide a much needed revitalization to the studios. I'm not sure why everyone is so hostile to the idea of thrill rides, when all the ones that DIsney has constructed thus far have been amazing both for the heart and the eyes. A great ride is a great ride, no matter what vehicle type or speed you are experiencing it at.

dolphinmickey9170
12-26-2007, 01:31 PM
This would be so cool. We don't find enough to do at this park. I also hope they stay with the theme of keeping everything inside. That makes a coaster much more fun.

dudeman1975
12-26-2007, 02:48 PM
The only problem with a rollercoaster is that it is so fast, that you miss a lot of deteil and scenery. For example I would like to get a better look at the Yeti in EE. A ride regarding the door scene would be great, I too along with many watched the movie and discussed with friends that the door scene would be an exciting ride of some type.

SignguyTom
12-26-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't think Walt ever actually encountered Pirates , a Haunted Mansion full of goofy ghosts, or rooms full of children bolted to the floor singing in different languages ;)
The point is there was a nice balance which sometimes doesn't seem to exist anymore. Everest was a great departure from that mentality but on the other hand now we have Finding Nemo attractions and soon Toy Story attractions in more than 1 park. I think it's fine to base rides around movies but Disney can sometimes overdo it, that's all. :twocents:

Actually, most of Disneyland was themed to promote Walt's movies and TV shows. In fact, the entrance to DL is paved with red brick to represent a red carpet as would have been found at a theater. As you walk under the train, the tunnel walls are lined with movie-style posters hyping the various attractions, but also to represent that you were now IN the movie, not just watching it - hence Cast Members, and the park being refered to as On Stage. Frontierland promoted the Davey Crocket series - Fess Parker (played Davey Crocket) has his own window above one of the shops. Other opening day (or very soon thereafter) attractions were the Mad Tea Party (Alice in Wonderland), Peter Pan's Flight, Dumbo, Snow White's Scarey Adventures. Then there was King Arthur Carousel (Sword in the Stone), and Sleeping Beauty Castle. The Jungle Cruise was promoting a true life adventure series running at the time.

Disney park attractions and the movies promote each other. Genius, in my eyes.

:twocents:

poeticeclipse
12-26-2007, 03:38 PM

Totally!

I should have better clarified myself before. I'm only upset with the fact that most attractions now are movie based. DHS would be a great place for movie based attractions. But, not Epcot. As much as I love little Nemo and Friends... it does not fit and i'm afraid that Epcot will turn into another Magic Kingdom (which we already have and love).

PirateLover
12-26-2007, 05:45 PM

Look I'm not trying to get into a back and forth here. The discussion about a balance between attractions based on what's currently hot and completely novel ideas is probably for another thread, another day. And anyway, as I stated earlier in this thread, I actually like the idea of a Monsters Inc coaster as well as it's location. Looking forward to it. :sulley:

Horizon93
12-26-2007, 08:51 PM
I am assuming that this will be an indoor coaster. That would make sense and give the ability to use darkness and other cool scenic ideas.

I am not a coaster guy, I am a thrill ride chicken. But I think if this is done as well as I think that it can be, that it Will be an outstanding addition to DHS

Crow
12-26-2007, 10:52 PM
well the studios do need something....
the layout isnt all that great in general.
i love theming. thats why i love WDW rides..
as long as its themed and done well

Mr. Incredible
12-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Disclaimer: I don't claim to have any inside knowledge, only my own rational thinking about a possible "coaster". I haven't posted here in about 20 years :D, but thought I'd get back in touch.

I was thinking that maybe this won't be a thrill ride. DHS needs something more family friendly (compatible with Midway Mania) in that area. Maybe this invered coaster will be more along the lines of a dark ride on an overhead rail -no high speeds or more than modest thrills. Like Peter Pan maybe?

DisneyOtaku
12-27-2007, 08:58 AM
I was thinking that maybe this won't be a thrill ride. DHS needs something more family friendly (compatible with Midway Mania) in that area. Maybe this invered coaster will be more along the lines of a dark ride on an overhead rail -no high speeds or more than modest thrills. Like Peter Pan maybe?

I think that would work very well. Most of the attractions at the Studios that stand out in my mind are either the thrill rides (ToT, RRC, Star Tours) and shows--not alot inbetween. It would be great to do a new dark ride--lot of potential there.

Horizon93
12-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Great idea. A dark ride would be perfect. But John called it a suspended coaster, and I am sure that his source is a reliable one.

lockedoutlogic
12-27-2007, 10:32 AM
The simple fact is that MGM has been neglected since its inception....

they have tower of terror...which is a world class amusement ride.....and they have the great movie ride, which will have to be majorly overhauled soon...and they have some cute things like muppetvision, voyage of the little mermaid, and the beauty and the beast show....

But let's remember: Star Tours is absolutely terrible... a relic from an era when Disney thought that motion simulator technology was the way to go because they were compact and the elements could be changed....which was a mistake the minute anyone sat in one and was turned off by the stupid herky jerky motions

Star Tours should be replaced...but has to be completely updated to survive. One of the most elaborate and imaginative ideas in the history of american pop culture is represented by a minivan on highdraulics with a movie screen inside.....does that seem right?

Rockin Roller Coaster might be the best overall ride at WDW....but it is not an expensive, elaborately themed "Disney-type" attraction...

They actually did it fairly on the cheap and scored with it....one of the few Eisnerian efforts at cutting corners that proved to actually work.

The ride was built by the Dutch company Vekoma (now defunct...I believe)....and the theming is really just timed lights, cardboard cutouts, black lights and a few strobes.....

Heck, with a little seed money...some of us from this board could build that in my backyard :blush:

The real innovation was the intergrated speaker technology in the ride trains..which really makes the ride and also transformed space mountain in Cali as well....

The point is that MGM needs major improvement....because it was hurried into existence...it was built with about 1/2 of the shows and rides necessary (if that sounds familiar...they did it again over on Osceola Parkway about 10 years later)....things like the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular were put in simply to hold numbers and can't be taken out still to this day because of that same problem.....(that "attraction" is also an embarassment when compared to the other IJ designs in other disney locations).....

The lights, motors, action show is nice....but once you've seen it once...that will about do it. That is also, as we know...a cheap copy that plagued the reign of evil cheap Mikey....

I just think that everyone who enters the new Hollywood Studios should really be all for anytype of development.....whether it's a new stage show, children's attraction, thrills, or traditional "disney" type dark rides and edu-tainment that fall somewhere in the middle....

right now it's two thrill rides, five cute disney type attractions...and a show at the end of the day.....

That's about it....

The smartest move they can make is to expand both the studios and animal kingdom so that they offer the variety and volume of things to see and do that EPCOT and Magic Kingdom do currently....it is a smart move in a time of transition that also buys time for a well-thought out and constructed new gate in the future and corrects some of the mistakes of California Adventure, Studios Paris, AK, and MGM

My only gripe about this idea is that it's a duplicate theme that has just gone in at the laugh floor....
and incredibles ride would be a better idea to incorporate into a coaster type ride

a ratatuoille dark ride for kids and adults would be a prudent next step...if the integration of pixar titles into parks is an important as they apparently believe it to be

Ian
12-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Ooooooooh ... Incredibles!! How about a Frozone coaster??? Now that's a great idea!

kristnjohn
12-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Just curious on what Disney's thoughts are with the Studios, with rumors of a Monsters, Inc. ride, are they looking to spice things up in the park with another attraction for families to enjoy, or to bring a differently themed ride to the World?
I ask because I know for a while there was talk of re-doing the Indiana Jones attraction and replacing it with the Indiana Jones ride, has that died down and gone away?

SignguyTom
12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Look I'm not trying to get into a back and forth here. The discussion about a balance between attractions based on what's currently hot and completely novel ideas is probably for another thread, another day. And anyway, as I stated earlier in this thread, I actually like the idea of a Monsters Inc coaster as well as it's location. Looking forward to it. :sulley:

Just thought you might be interested in a little Disney history. :mickey:

JPL
12-27-2007, 12:18 PM
For some reason I can't get the picture of an off the shelf coaster painted blue and Called Sully's Laugh Coaster :rolleyes: out of my mind.

Ian
12-27-2007, 01:07 PM
For some reason I can't get the picture of an off the shelf coaster painted blue and Called Sully's Laugh Coaster :rolleyes: out of my mind.Well I'm quite sure the base ride will be an off-the-shelf design from somewhere. I could be wrong, but I think they've farmed out virtually all of their recent coaster designs. All they've done is the theming, I think.

But all the rumors I've read previously on this claim it will be similar to Crush's Coaster from DSP and that ride has gotten pretty rave reviews.

Mufasa
12-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Well I'm quite sure the base ride will be an off-the-shelf design from somewhere. I could be wrong, but I think they've farmed out virtually all of their recent coaster designs. All they've done is the theming, I think.

In most cases Imagineering is very involved in the design of the coaster in order to fit our needs (the manufacturing of elements like ride track/vehicles is what is outsourced).

For example on Expedition: Everest, we went through a total of about 23 different track design iterations to achieve the end result.

We started with building a 3D model of a basic track layout on a computer and then transfer it to a scale model where the creative team then sculpted the show building (in this case the mountain) out of foam around our scale model track.

They'd look at the model and maybe say "hey, the track sticks out a little too far here can we adjust it" and the engineers would grumble and go back to the model and the computer and tweak the track layout while running calculations to make sure everything would work in order to support the story.

In any attraction the ride/track design and movements are all elements that can be used to support the story telling whether it's directing the rider's view or physically pressing the rider in a particular direction not unlike how a director/cinematographer will use certain camera shots and angle in film.

It's possible to start with an existing off the shelf track design and try and throw a show building around it and then theme the attraction but I see that as a difficult approach- it's kind of like painting by numbers and does limit your options to be able to tell a story because you're trying to fit the story elements to the track layout as opposed to using the track (and altering the design) to support solid storytelling.

Ian
12-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Huh ... that's funny ... I just read a story right before I posted that that said that Everest was a Vekoma track ...

Guess that story was wrong, huh?! :blush:

Mufasa
12-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Everest track pieces/ride vehicles were manufactured by Vekoma, but the design specifications were from WDI.

Ian
12-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Ahh, see ... that's not what I consider "off-the-shelf."

This article was misleading, then, because the way it was worded it said, "Expedition Everest's coaster design uses a Vekoma track that was originally used for smaller roller coasters ... "

I guess maybe they were referring just to the actual track pieces themselves and not the way they were assembled.

DizneyFreak2002
12-27-2007, 08:04 PM
I like the idea of a Monster's Inc roller coaster, as long as it is done in typical Disney splendor...

Disney_Barbie
12-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Not to be an overly-optimistic little ray of sunshine, but I say "Have a little faith, people" Even during the Eisner days WDW has rarely ever let me down (excpet maybe w/ stitch's ecsape but hey, to each his own!)
Let's give this thing a chance before we all start hating it. The WDW I know & love doesn't just toss a big steal coaster in the middle of the park (in 6 flags style) they do it with a little pixie dust, and I for one am going to assume this project will go the same way.

#1donaldfan
12-28-2007, 12:51 PM
I can't wait for a little change at MGM.....I love the park, but have always thought it needed something more.......:mickey:

lockedoutlogic
12-28-2007, 01:36 PM
I can't wait for a little change at MGM.....I love the park, but have always thought it needed something more.......:mickey:

It does need more: two more "e-ticket" type attractions....at least one new all age type attraction like the new midway mania.....4 or 5 new family friendly rides and shows....a large scale expansion of the park's footprint to allow for more attractions, theming, concessions....and then redesigning of some of the shops, restaurants, etc....

That's all :)

Surfer_Clock
12-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Funny thing is, I spoke with someone about this today. There was a facilitator for one of our on-site learning courses who spoke of an attraction being built directly next to Toy Story Mania on Soundstage 1. I inquired about the Monsters Inc. coaster, to which she replied that such a thing wouldn't be housed in Soundstage 1...instead, it'd occupy the area of the Backlot Tour. I'm taking that with a grain of salt considering that they're even bothering to change and then re-change the Backlot Tour costumes (as apparently, someone forgot to fax a memo to Creative Costuming...a lot of costumes had "The Disney's Hollywood Studios" as opposed to "Disney's Hollywood Studios" on the patches...big fiasco there). It is possible...but like John projected, it may not happen nor be announced for a while. If there is one in the works, it hasn't been announced to us at all yet.

lockedoutlogic
12-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Funny thing is, I spoke with someone about this today. There was a facilitator for one of our on-site learning courses who spoke of an attraction being built directly next to Toy Story Mania on Soundstage 1. I inquired about the Monsters Inc. coaster, to which she replied that such a thing wouldn't be housed in Soundstage 1...instead, it'd occupy the area of the Backlot Tour. I'm taking that with a grain of salt considering that they're even bothering to change and then re-change the Backlot Tour costumes (as apparently, someone forgot to fax a memo to Creative Costuming...a lot of costumes had "The Disney's Hollywood Studios" as opposed to "Disney's Hollywood Studios" on the patches...big fiasco there). It is possible...but like John projected, it may not happen nor be announced for a while. If there is one in the works, it hasn't been announced to us at all yet.

I think that the demise of the backlot and reallocation of space has been a long in the works thing.....use of some of the former animation studio service areas and possibly the employee parking lots to the rear of IJ stunt spectacular would be a good use of space as well.

I truly hope that the next 5-10 years will be a time of significant improvement to the studios...not simply swapping of rides and shows and lame walk thoughs to promote movies.....
Pixar infusion into the parks appears to be across the board and fasttracked...so another pixar themed attraction following Midway only seems to make sense...

But an expansion of the actual park past Lights, Motors, Action into the area of the backlot....which has pretty much been a wasteland since park opening....is a longtime coming type move.

Disney has stated that they are going to reinvest into what they have instead of taking on the expense of building a new gate....now it's time to do it.

MGM and AK should be enhanced into world class theme parks...it can only make their business stronger for years to come.

Not2Loud
12-30-2007, 09:12 PM
I think it will be fun! I think if they do it at Disney Hollywood series, it fits completely.

BTW...this is my 300th post!

Dsnygirl
12-30-2007, 11:11 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks for the info, John!! I sure hope it happens - it sounds like a great idea for a ride, and the theming could be great!! Let's all keep our :fingers: !!

drummerboy
12-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Seems like not terribly long ago, we had a good discussion on the possiblities for a Monsters Inc. theme ride. wonder how many of the ideas that were tossed around will become a reality? If the theming is right, it could be a fun ride.

teamblackwell
01-02-2008, 11:10 PM
This is pure speculation, but I bet this ride will be setup similar to the E.T. (extraterrestial) ride at Universal Studios. A slow, suspension ride with alot of visual content. ????

Lightning McQueen
01-05-2008, 06:41 PM
This is pure speculation, but I bet this ride will be setup similar to the E.T. (extraterrestial) ride at Universal Studios. A slow, suspension ride with alot of visual content. ????

I've never riddent E.T., but I like that idea. I think DHS could use a Fantasylandish slow dark ride.

jszczur5
01-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Hey All:

Word coming from a west coast source of mine that a Monsters Inc. themed suspended roller coaster is coming to Florida's Disney Studios.

JOHN

When we first saw that movie at the theatre with our sons, my husband said that it would make a great Disney ride. It sounds like what may be coming is exactly what he envisioned.
We also predict that the next National Treasures movie is going to be called "Page 47".
Does anyone who has seen the movie concur?