PDA

View Full Version : A Long Winter's Drive...Travel Day

dolphinmickey9170
12-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Well, we're back. I'm going to try to post as much as possible today. I am sick with a bad cold so my head is killing me, but I'm going to try to get this done soon. So here we go.

My cast of characters changes a bit throughout the show, but everyday will always include my family and then there will be some guest starts here and there.

Cast of Completely Crazy Characters:

Me - 37 - driving my DH crazy with all the planning......can't get enough!
Ben - DH - 42 - to all my ?'s, responds with, "Whatever you want, I'll love it if your planning it!"
Katy - DD - 16 - can't wait to take her niece to see all the "pity yights" (that's pretty lights for those adults who don't understand baby talk)
Keara - DGD - 1 - happy no matter what comes her way - lover of all things Pooh!!
Will - podcaster friend from home celebrating "Willabration," his birthday
Shannon - podcaster friend from home

Thursday - December 13th
This day starts way too early. I managed to get someone to work for me today as I would have had to work until 3pm and then not be able to leave until 4pm. I couldn't sleep from the excitement, so when Ben came home from his night shift...I was awake for the day. He got to sleep for a while and I just finished putting the last minute things together. We planned on leaving by noon, but Keara's mom had other ideas. So we didn't get to leave until 1pm. It's cold, wet and dreary here in Baltimore and I just can't wait to get to sunny Florida. I can't believe there is no traffic. We are at the Woodrow Wilson bridge in 55 minutes. SWEET!! We get slowed down a bit, I guess spoke too soon. We make it to the VA/NC border @ 4:30 pm. No rush hour traffic. Wait...I have a question?! Why do they call it rush hour traffic when no one is rushing anywhere and we are all sitting still twiddling our thumbs? Shouldn't it be called something like roadblock traffic? Makes more sense. Anyway, we decide to stop in Dunn, NC at Cracker Barrell for some dinner. Both Ben and I are really tired by this time so we opt out of driving all night and stop in Dillon SC for some sleep. Well, lets just say "Yeah Right". There was very little sleep. We watched Survivor and then I shut off the tv. Keara wanted nothing to do with sleep, neither did Katy. They both were awake most of the night. Ben slept too, but me.....not hardly. I don't know if it was the bed (hard like concrete) or the excitement of going to WDW.

Friday - December 14th
So at 2am I get up and wake Ben, put more ice in my cooler in the van and we head out again. We stop 4 hours later for breakfast. Ben gets a shower from Keara's juice box. At least we were able to humor the dining room at Burger King. Finally at 11:30 -- WELCOME HOME -- I love hearing those words. We checked in, our room is ready and my requests were honored. Congress Park with a DtD view. We are in room 1714. A nice 1 BR suite. We unpack, shower and head off to Disney's Character Premiere just a couple miles away. At the character premiere, I bought Keara some Cindy shoes ($28.00) paid 7.99, pink princess sweat pants for Katy (34.00) paid 16.99, maroon t-shirt with silver mickeys on it (28.00) paid 13.99 and a plush Pooh for Keara (13.00) paid 6.99. They had tons of stuff for everyone. Then off to Walmart just a few minutes away for a few essentials. Round-trip from our resort was just under 14 miles. I didn't realize the character premiere was so close. Then we are off to meet Will and Shannon at the MK. Our first stop after getting inside was the new HM. AWESOME!! I must say the new updates are totally cool. I love the surround sound in the stretch room. The stair room is neat, I love the footsteps. But I must say, the attic. . . . well, you just gotta see it. Then we played phone tag with Shannon and met up with them and another podcaster Lou? from Beyond Main Street, at the base of TTA. While we were standing there talking football, we were approached by a member of the dream squad, Tony (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2469033470042804337fNMacC), from Miami...he's a dolphins fan, but we overlook that. He asked us what we had for plans tonight, (dinner at Garden grill @ 7:40).....He gave us VIP viewing for wishes (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2483671190042804337KBCWTx). He told us to meet him at the elevator to Astro Orbitor at 5:50. We went up the elevator and stood on the platform to watch Wishes. It was a great view!! But not great audio, it was hard to hear, so if you are a first time watcher of Wishes, this probably isn't a good place. After that we received a certificate for a Magical Moment and sent on our merry way. Off to Epcot for dinner at the Garden Grill (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2734765910042804337xcHLcN), the food has changed a bit since the last time I was there in 2000, but truly not worth the amount of money we spent. Ben wouldn't eat. I paid $87 with the tip for him to eat two biscuits and a piece of turkey. I had a little bit of everything - salad, corn bread, flank steak, catfish, turkey and cranberries, cheesy potato, but we all passed on dessert. Because Will had his birthday button on, the waiter brought three interactive dessert cupcakes, one for Will, one for Shannon and one for Keara. Keara wasn't too sure about the characters, Pluto made her scream. We paid cash for this meal , so we were allowed to use Will's DDE card and saved $18.00. We finish just in time to hear the beginning of holiday Illuminations. We stand next to the giant christmas tree. What a great show. Illuminations is just so moving. We stopped and talked with more friends (the other Will) and Denise and Jim, and then headed around world showcase. What a beautiful walk at night. At 1130 we head to the bus for SSR. Luckily we wait only a few minutes and we are headed home. It's been a really long day and we are all beat, so we crash quickly.

Here is a link to my dining reviews. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122300)

Hair_Razor
12-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Sounds like a great start, thanks for pics. I love seeing everyone enjoy Disney it makes me feel like I'm there too. :mickey: Your DGD is adorable!!

kakn7294
12-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Sorry to hear that you're sick! I hope you're better in time for Santa's arrival! Sounds like travel went well - I'm glad to hear it. Your magic moment sounds like fun even with the bad audio - it must have been a great view at least! We haven't done dinner at Garden Grill since 2003 but we liked it then. I hope Ben isn't this picky all trip - but I know you said he is. I'm looking forward to more reports!

AbeeNormal
12-23-2007, 03:29 PM
I have to say the bathtub pictures were the best, now that's the way to celebrate the end of a day at WDW:cloud9:

Thanks for sharing:mickey:

BronxTigger
12-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks for sharing! I wish I was there!

RedheadWriter
12-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Great first day and cool pics! :thumbsup:

Christine
12-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Me - 37 - driving my DH crazy with all the planning......can't get enough!

Hey...that's my line! ;)

I'm so looking forward to reading about your trips and the pity yights!

Pipalotta
12-24-2007, 01:24 AM
Yay for another person from maryland! With just your stops and not counting the hotel stop about how long did it take you to get to disney do you think? We live in Annapolis and will be leaving at about 10pm so hopefully there will be no traffic but we still were wondering about how long ha. Yay for run on sentences!!!

dolphinmickey9170
12-24-2007, 06:15 AM
Yay for another person from maryland! With just your stops and not counting the hotel stop about how long did it take you to get to disney do you think? We live in Annapolis and will be leaving at about 10pm so hopefully there will be no traffic but we still were wondering about how long ha. Yay for run on sentences!!!

Taking out the hotel stop, it took us about 16 hours. That is stopping for fuel, bathroom breaks with diaper changes, and an hour and a half at dinner. The return ride home was close to that as well even though we didn't stop for dinner, that took us 14.5 hours. Have a safe trip.

ChipnDaleGal
12-24-2007, 11:39 AM
I would think the view you had of Wishes would have been very cool, even if the audio was lacking. I love the Garden Grill. Sorry it wasn't a huge hit for your group, but your pictures were very nice. Thanks for reporting. :mickey:

pdrlkr
12-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Beach Club Babe
12-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Sounds like you are off to a great start! I'm off to read more!

MsMin
12-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Your trip down there brings back memories of long drives and exhaustion by the time we arrive. Glad you got some rest! Can't wait to read more..

McGoofy
12-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Congrats on your magical moment!

I think you and I were there a few of the same days. I hope you had as much fun as we did. I'm off to read more!:mickey:

DisneyWhirled
01-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Sounds like a great few days! How awesome that you got a Magical Moment! On to read the rest of your reports....

faline
01-02-2008, 12:22 PM
You arrive and almost immediately get presented with a Dream Team wish! Pretty cool!