PDA

View Full Version : Bad Delta

BrerEmma
12-22-2007, 11:11 AM
:mad:Hi all this is going to be a good one. I went to the answering machine the other day and there was a message from Disney travel co saying that my flight from Boston to Orlando was moved from 8:00am to 3:00pm and coming back my 7:00pm flight was moved to 8:0am. What this means is that I would lose two whole days at Disney.:thedolls: So I called Delta and told them that this was unacceptable, thinking they would change me back. Wrong, I could fly my previous times if I wanteed to change planes in Atlanta. Traveling with two children with Autism this was out of the question. I also told that too Delta and they told me that there was nothing they could do. They also told me that when I bought the tickets that time changes could happen. Taking two days off my vacation is not a time change it is a major inconvience. After I was told that now I was :mad::mad: so I called the corp office of Delta in Atlanta and asked for help. I ended up transfered to the executive office of the CEO of Delta finally I thought :) I would be all set. Wrong :thedolls: I was basically told the same thing and there was nothing they could do. They did tell me that I could get my money back. I told them No Problem. I cancelled that reservation and got new reservations on JetBlue. I was very surprised by there answer after I told them that I was a Loyal Delta customer since the mid 70's and I always traveled on Song and I wanted to stay with Delta even after they were having money problems. Sorry nothing I can help you with.:mad: So long Delta hello JetBlue:thumbsup:See you Feb 3rd.

angedeaile
12-22-2007, 11:37 AM
OH how horrible! And here I was unhappy with our flight change with American Airlines.

They gave us 35 minutes for a connection flight at O'hare, which I would bet my left pinky we won't make in time.

So I called and they said the best they can do is give us a flight that will get us to DW at 9pm instead of the original 12pm.

But at least they tried, unlike yours, and 9 hours is a whole lot better than two days gone.

Money issues our not, it seems their service is lacking and it shouldn't be. This is the time when they really need to try and accommodate those who are sticking with them.

Glad you got something better though~

TheRustyScupper
12-22-2007, 11:56 AM
1) Unfortunately, ALL airlines have to shuffle their schedules.
2) I think your case was that you needed direct flights.
3) Their new schedules had the direct flights at times inconvenient to you.
4) We have also had flights changed.
5) But, with some minor flexibility, it wasn't a problem.

NOTE: Glad you were able to find a Jet Blue flight. Hope it works out for you.

DizneyRox
12-22-2007, 11:58 AM
It's not bad Delta, it's typical Delta.

What you experienced is reason number 1 I don't fly Delta anymore. Happened too many times (once for me) and I have been flying other airlines since. And have been happy as a clam!

BrerEmma
12-22-2007, 12:41 PM
That is correct but we only take one vacation a year because of money and work schedules. Two days taken off is out of the question also I am paying for a full night stay at WL. That is also one of the issues. If Delta had come back and said this is what I can help you with instead of saying saying sorry those are your only options. I might of tried to work with them, their tone was terrible.

kakn7294
12-22-2007, 12:57 PM
One more reason I like Southwest - flight times aren't changed once they are posted. I had similar problems with USAirways in the past. Sorry it happened but at least you got the chance to change it now. Have a great trip!

dechae
12-22-2007, 04:13 PM
It's terrible the way airlines treat their paying customers plus weather delays don't help.

We are going in April by train...a long convoluted trip from Ohio. It might be a smooth straight run from Boston to Orlando. Maybe to late to check the facts for this year for you. A quiet bedroom with the freedom to roam the train and drain extra energy if needed or stay secure in your room.

From DC to Orlando is about 17 hrs. Not that short flying time and I don't know about from Boston to DC...maybe same train goes alway from one to other. Check Amtrak website to explore options. Pretty cheap to Coach it down without a private room. Just a very long trip. Room does add $$$.

Vacation days are precious, you may not want to waste them on train travel vs fly times but train does allow freedom to walk, talk and rest.

Just my two cents (probably worth about .0002 cents in todays inflation.

DizneyRox
12-22-2007, 04:29 PM
I think that Delta's practices borders on bait and switch. They publish all sorts of appealing routes, and as they approach, they funnel people into the few flights they really meant to run. At that point, you are locked into DElta, since the other airlines are filled, or their fares are higher, etc. So, you're just plain stuck.

Like I said, I refuse to fly Delta, I'll pay more to fly on another airline.

chick20679
12-24-2007, 10:41 AM

I agree with the above.
They just didn't have any DIRECT flights that worked for you. As you stated, they did offer you new flights closer to your original departure/arrival times, but with connections. Now, that doesn't work for your family, but they did in fact TRY to offer you something that would work.
I am glad they were able to refund your ticket, and you found something that works on JetBlue, but don't 100% count on those flights not changing too... ALL airlines shuffle their flight schedules.

DizneyRox
12-24-2007, 11:26 AM
I am glad they were able to refund your ticket, and you found something that works on JetBlue, but don't 100% count on those flights not changing too... ALL airlines shuffle their flight schedules.
I have yet to see this on Southwest, and certainly not to the extent of Delta. I'm usually in the air within 15 minutes of the scheduled departure time when I book Southwest. I've booked weeks before a trip and also the first day of the flights being released.

kakn7294
12-24-2007, 03:19 PM
ALL airlines shuffle their flight schedules.Not Southwest. We've flown them several times and have never had them change the flight times or cancel a flight. Since they're nonstop from Pittsburgh to Orlando, have the cheapest rates, and have a great schedule, we can't go wrong with them!

EmporerStitch
12-24-2007, 05:32 PM
I think that Delta's practices borders on bait and switch. They publish all sorts of appealing routes, and as they approach, they funnel people into the few flights they really meant to run. At that point, you are locked into DElta, since the other airlines are filled, or their fares are higher, etc. So, you're just plain stuck.

Like I said, I refuse to fly Delta, I'll pay more to fly on another airline.

I like Frontier airlines, very friendly service and cheap prices plus they dont shuffle flights around too bad. We flew with them back in june and i enjoyed them soo for our next trip in may we already booked thought Frontier. The problem with living here in Omaha is i cant get direct flights so i have to transfer somewhere, Frontier's hub is in Denver so we hop on a little CRJ-2000 i think it is (pack of gum sized plane) and fly over to denver and get on a nice roomy Airbus A-320 with direct tv in the back of every headrest. thats my vote :number1:

dmosher
12-25-2007, 03:02 AM
I was a flight attendant years ago and let me tell you... the service in Delta was fine but every time I have had to fly with them I feared for my life.

The last and final time I flew Delta down to FL, I was sitting next to a non-Delta pilot who just as we touched down and the front wheel (I swear this is true) tapped first, he grabs the arms wrest looks at me and says oh (insert bad words here) we are going to die.
Didn't really sit well with me and he is a professional commercial pilot. Scary Stuff! Since them I have refused to fly with them, just too much for me and I skydive!

:pipes:
D

BrerEmma
12-25-2007, 07:55 AM
They just didn't have any DIRECT flights that worked for you. As you stated, they did offer you new flights closer to your original departure/arrival times, but with connections. Now, that doesn't work for your family, but they did in fact TRY to offer you something that would work.
That is not trying to work for you. I understand flights get moved around but not by 7 hours on both ends. I feel that it is a bait and switch?:thedolls:

Here we go again...
12-25-2007, 09:29 AM

100% correct

One more reason I like Southwest - flight times aren't changed once they are posted. I had similar problems with USAirways in the past. Sorry it happened but at least you got the chance to change it now. Have a great trip!
I agree. I have flown many airlines and love flying Southwest. They have never, ever changed a flight on me. We have been delayed due to engine trouble leaving Orlando. We had a connecting flight in Houston going to New Orleans. Since they delayed the flight by an hour, they touched down in New Orleans to let the passengers off that were going to New Orleans. It actually saved us time because we did not have the connection in Houston. That is pretty good service.

See, the problem I have with this is that if they did not have any direct flights, why list them in the first place?
This is 100% typical Delta. If they do not fill the plane, they cancel the flight. They usually just combine all passengers on the same scheduled flight the next day. I have had that problem before. Nothing is worse than coming home from work and hearing that you can not start your vacation tomorrow... the flight has been canceled. There is no way to get a flight on another airline in 1 day at a reasonable price... so you are stuck... and Delta knows it.

I will not fly Delta ever again.

rookie
12-27-2007, 02:15 PM

They moved the 8:00 direct flight to 7:30 am, but I am guessing that the flight is oversold and those with the cheapest tickets got bumped (they probably switch to a smaller plane). So those that were suggesting a bait and switch are pretty accurate.

DizneyRox
12-27-2007, 03:45 PM
If I had the means/time/desire...

I wonder if you look at the Delta flights say 4-5 months out and count he number of planes that would be necessary to fly that schedule and copare it to the number of planes in their fleet, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a big difference in the numbers.

To me, that would be bait and switch...

Ian
12-27-2007, 03:57 PM
One more reason I like Southwest - I honestly feel bad for anyone who doesn't have Southwest as an option.

I was a loyal USAirways customer for years. I even had preferred membership in their Dividend Miles program, which was supposed to get me all kinds of perks but it never really did.

But I just got so tired of dealing with their "love it or leave it" attitude that I tried Southwest once they moved into Philly.

I'll never fly anyone else again. They're so easy to deal with, they make schedule changes a breeze, they're reliable, friendly, and easy to deal with.

There's a reason they're the only major airline that's turned a profit every single year of their operation. The rest of these dummies can barely stay in business.

Hair_Razor
12-27-2007, 06:44 PM
I agree I love Southwest I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has had fantastic service with them. I love their flight attendants and service everything about them. I had only one time where we were delayed for weather. That's a great track record for me. :thumbsup:

luvdiznee
12-27-2007, 06:59 PM

What you experienced is reason number 1 I don't fly Delta anymore. Happened too many times (once for me) and I have been flying other airlines since. And have been happy as a clam!

ITA! And JetBlue is my first choice. You will enjoy their flight. :mickey:

drhama
12-27-2007, 07:10 PM
I have had similar issues with Delta and refuse to fly them ever again.
Their constant changes on our last trip in the end cost me an extra nights lodging. No notification at all. They just changed my itinerary. Had I not been checking constantly (due to the continual changes) I would have been in big trouble. With a change so close to our departure date, I feel lucky that we even we able to book (and pay for) a room for the extra night. They could not have cared less.
Unfortunately, we do not have many airline options. I have to drive for almost 4 hours to get to Portland. I now chose to drive for 1 hour to Medford and fly United. Delta also flys out of Medford but we won't be doing that again. It costs me a bit more but is well worth it. It is no wonder that Delta has had financial difficulties.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-27-2007, 09:36 PM
The last 2 times I flew Delta they did the exact same thing and I got the exact same response. Too bad was basically what I was told. I will NOT fly them again. I can understand changing by a little but when it is practically rebooked for a different day? That's unacceptable. My time is valuable too. No more Delta for me. It doesn't sound like they'll be around much longer anyway.
They had given us vouchers the next to last time they bounced us and I asked them if they would still be in business a year from then because their practices are so bad. I wouldn't accept a voucher at this point because they are losing loyal customers left and right. It will be their own fault once they go under.

chick20679
12-28-2007, 09:55 AM
wow

PetefromRI
12-28-2007, 10:07 AM
What happened to Delta?I remember when they were the Official Airlines for Disney and they were pretty good.I felt that they were a cut above the rest and now the're horrible.SouthWest for us all the way!!!

Taja
12-28-2007, 03:18 PM
I agree I love Southwest I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has had fantastic service with them. I love their flight attendants and service everything about them. I had only one time where we were delayed for weather. That's a great track record for me. :thumbsup:

Another Southwest fan! :thumbsup:

A few years ago they made an error in posting schedules when most states changed from DST to ST. Someone forgot that Arizona remains on ST throughout the year, so the wrong flight times were posted. They caught it about 30 days out and notified all customers, so it wasn't a big deal.

I've only had one serious delay/connecting flight issue, and SWA moved me off the delayed flight and promptly onto the next connecting flight to PHX. Arrived about an hour late--after being 1.5 hours late taking off! :)

Brian
12-31-2007, 03:07 PM
You guys have me nervous. :paranoid: We're flying Delta on our next trip. I haven't flown with Delta in probably 10 years.

US Airways, until recently, used to offer the best rates our of our local airport. I enjoyed flying with them, but their fares have really skyrocketed within the past 2 years.

I wish Southwest was available at our local airport. Unfortunately, the closest airport flying Southwest is about 1 - 1.5 hours away. My sisters lives and Florida and flies with Southwest all the time when she comes home. She seems to really like them.

DizneyRox
12-31-2007, 03:13 PM
You guys have me nervous. :paranoid: We're flying Delta on our next trip. I haven't flown with Delta in probably 10 years.
Delta will get you there. It's just it may not be when you planned on getting there. That's the issue many people have with Delta.