PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney Todd

ImagiAsh
12-22-2007, 01:59 AM
I was surprised when I logged on here to see everyone's reviews and realized that there were no topics about Sweeney Todd! Has anyone seen it yet? I just got back from a 10:15 showing of it at our local theater and I have to say... I loved every minute of it! I've always enjoyed Tim Burtons style and he certainly did not disappoint with this movie (in my opinion). Johnny Depp was incredible in the role as expected. :D

Pipalotta
12-22-2007, 04:07 AM
I have not seen it yet but I am so excited to see it. I told everyone I know that I have to see it in the theaters or I will freak out! Im glad that it lives up to the hype. I read some where Johnny should be nominated for an Oscar.

kakn7294
12-22-2007, 10:01 AM
I haven't seen it but I am intrigued by it. Just one quick question - hopefully this isn't considered a spoiler: how much blood and gore is in it? I'm not a fan of horror movies because of the blood and gore involved but I do love shows like CSI and such.

ChipnDaleGal
12-22-2007, 11:09 AM
I haven't seen it but I am intrigued by it. Just one quick question - hopefully this isn't considered a spoiler: how much blood and gore is in it? I'm not a fan of horror movies because of the blood and gore involved but I do love shows like CSI and such.

I haven't seen it yet, but I did see an interview with Tim Burton that made it sound like it is very, very bloody! I don't think this will ever be on anyone's list as the sweetest musical they have ever seen. My daughter is going with a group of her friends tomorrow and they are super excited. I am anxious to hear their collective report and then I hope to see it next week myself.

Mickey052501
12-22-2007, 11:16 AM
My DH and I cannot wait to see this movie, it looks really good!!! I love Johnny Depp:blush:

Jen:mickey:

kakn7294
12-22-2007, 12:51 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I did see an interview with Tim Burton that made it sound like it is very, very bloody! I don't think this will ever be on anyone's list as the sweetest musical they have ever seen.Well, let me clarify, it's not so much the blood - like I said, I love CSI and shows like that and I'm a nurse so blood itself doesn't bother me in the least - it's the senseless violence of a blood and guts slasher horror movie that I don't like. I do get that Sweeney Todd is a serial killer of sorts so I don't mind some of the blood.

ImagiAsh
12-22-2007, 03:18 PM

There is a lot of blood, not so much guts, and a lot of spare body parts. It is directed by Tim Burton, so there are no "cut-away" camera shots...you see everything involved in the murder. (I tried to put that in the least spoiler way possible :laughing: ) I don't usually get uneasy with these types of films, so hopefully someone will come along to share their thoughts who has seen the movie and was worried about this as well.

PirateLover
12-22-2007, 07:45 PM
It is very bloody but the blood doesn't look real. It's like a Burton-esque exaggerated color to contrast the dark and dreariness of everything else. Since you know he's a serial killer and a barber, I don't think it would be a spoiler to say that his method of choice is slitting throats. As soon as he does the "blood" just starts spurting out and the victims sometimes make the gargling/chocking noise. But it's something that you'll know is coming and that you can easily look away from.

Oh and I liked it. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
12-22-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm dying to see this! In high school, I studied the musical soundtrack with Angela Lansbury in the Helena Bonham Carter role. It was fabulous. We're seeing it on Christmas Eve.

NJDad
12-24-2007, 05:56 AM
The blood and such was closer to "Monty Python and The Holy Grail" then truly realistic, say "Saving Private Ryan", effects.

Even so, surprising amount of young children in attendance at the show we attended.

SBETigg
12-24-2007, 11:14 AM
The blood and such was closer to "Monty Python and The Holy Grail" then truly realistic, say "Saving Private Ryan", effects.

Even so, surprising amount of young children in attendance at the show we attended.

Young children? Really? Wow. It will be my kids first R movie, but they're older teens. Even still, we've discussed all the potential issues to make sure we all know what to expect. With the filming style and storyline, it doesn't seem it would appeal to families with young ones.

ChipnDaleGal
12-24-2007, 01:07 PM
My 17 year old daughter went with four friends yesterday, all five girls are high school juniors. They all loved it! One girl is a little squeamish and hid her eyes during the bloodier parts, but the rest had no problems. They all think Johnny Depp is more amazing than ever, and also thought Helena Bonham Carter was perfect for her role.

My daughter gave me a pretty thorough run through of the entire movie when she got home. We are both musical crazy and she just loved that aspect of this movie. She thinks Tim Burton is a genius. She was very impressed with Johnny and his singing abilities. In all that she said about the movie, the thing that stood out most to me is when she said "Mom, it really is an awful story, but I loved it sooooooo much!" By awful, she meant that it was dark, depressing, and truly awful things happened to all of the characters, no bright rosy moments to speak of. I am going to see it with her this weekend and she can not wait to see it again. She is already talking about how she will have to buy two copies of the DVD, as she will almost certainly wear one out.

AvonleaCF
12-25-2007, 06:49 PM
I've seen two different versions of the stage version, and I'm a huge Sondheim fan.

The movie is creepy, bloody, gory, and dark. Don't expect any light-heartedness, even though it's a musical. But it is very well done.

I didn't think Depp or Carter have good singing voices, but the story is so dark you don't need crooners in the roles.

PirateLover
12-26-2007, 09:11 PM
In regards to the singing voices, I was pleasantly surprised by Johnny's. I thought he pulled it off rather well. Helena Bonham Carter was great in her role but I found her voice to be weak. I had trouble understanding some of her lines... she didn't "bite" the lyrics properly if you will. It was tolerable, but could've been better if she were coached more. The standout performance for me was the kid who played Toby. He sounded great in "Not While I'm Around." He's probably the main reason I was inspired to buy the soundtrack.

SBETigg
12-26-2007, 09:29 PM
I loved it, and I'm so glad I saw it in the theater to make the most of the soundtrack. I thought it was impressively acted out and really well done. (Yes, especially the kid who played Toby and Johnny Depp was really good- I even liked Helena Bonham Carter in her role).

Yes, there is some gore. My daughter and I cringed and turned away when we thought it was coming and we did avoid most of the sights but the sounds are still there to hear. I did think there were some darkly comic moments, too. We all (four of us, two adults, a teen boy and a teen girl) gave it enthusiastic thumbs up reviews.

mjaclyn
12-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I was so disappointed that this movie was rated R. I love the Broadway version and I wish Tim Burton could have made the movie without focusing so much on showing the actual killings. DH and I choose not to watch R-Rated films at all and to be honest we don't even watch some PG-13 movies. I'm not a fan of bloody, gorey violence, nudity or cursing so I like to avoid it altogether if I can. If the movie had been rated PG-13 I would have gone to see it since I'm familiar with the story. IMHO it could have been just as good without all the gore.

I was able to listen to some of the soundtrack on Sirius and I was very impressed with Johnny Depp's voice. I was completely unimpressed with Helena Bonham Carter's rendition of 'By The Sea'. I haven't heard her in any of the other songs yet but that was painful to listen to.

SBETigg
12-27-2007, 01:07 PM
I understand your personal decisions and I won't convince you otherwise, but it was by no means gratuitous gore. Film affords the opportunities to set a more realistic scene. There are a few scenes for a few seconds, yes, but it's not abundantly gory beyond what the story requires to allow for a deeper exploration of the desperation and brutality of the characters and their actions. It suited the story.

WDWFREAK101
12-27-2007, 02:33 PM
I read some where Johnny should be nominated for an Oscar.

Yeah, the film is nominated for 4 Academy Awards Including Best Actor Johnny Depp.

SBETigg
12-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Yeah, the film is nominated for 4 Academy Awards Including Best Actor Johnny Depp.

Oscar nomination ballots just went out. I think you may be referring to the Golden Globe nominations.

DizneyFreak2002
12-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Ok, so, are you all saying this movie is worth it??? I want to go see it this weekend, but, if it is bad, then I think I may stay away...

PirateLover
12-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Ok, so, are you all saying this movie is worth it??? I want to go see it this weekend, but, if it is bad, then I think I may stay away...

It's really hard to say. Being a fan of both Sondheim and Burton, I loved it. But if you generally don't like musicals or a dark aesthetic than you might not enjoy it as much.

SBETigg
12-27-2007, 10:01 PM

I think it's highly worth it. I recommend it.

DizneyFreak2002
12-27-2007, 11:26 PM
It's really hard to say. Being a fan of both Sondheim and Burton, I loved it. But if you generally don't like musicals or a dark aesthetic than you might not enjoy it as much.

Musicals don't bother me, and I don't mind dark films... I am actually a fan of Tim Burton's....

PirateLover
12-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Musicals don't bother me, and I don't mind dark films... I am actually a fan of Tim Burton's....

Then I wouldn't miss it :thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
12-31-2007, 11:34 PM
I have yet to see it, and I too am a little hesitant because of the blood. But, I get the impression it's more Sleepy Hollow (which I love) than Saw (which I will never see. Ever). Maybe I can get a friend to go with me soon. Thanks for everyone's reviews!

PiratesLifeForMe3
01-01-2008, 03:42 AM
The blood in it does resemble the blood from Sleepy Hollow a bit, but even more fake.

Overall, the movie is amazing. Even if you haven't heard the musical first it will still please. It might be even better if you haven't seen or heard the musical. Like everyone has said, Johnny was the perfect choice as Sweeney and Helena did a decent job as Mrs. Lovett. As far as the gore goes, I would say that it is not that shocking at all. I will even go far enough to say that it is less shocking than watching the heads melt and explode at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, or the heart removal sequence in Temple of Doom.

For Burton/Depp fans, this one is a must see as it is their best work together since Ed Wood. It might even make you a fan of musicals if you weren't before.

Pipalotta
01-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Just saw this yesterday and I thought it was great. The blood is so unrealistic and the death scenes so over the top that there was more laughing going on than cringing or screaming etc. I think for the type of move everyone's signing was great. I hate when they have fake singers ya know. I also liked how some of the people where unknowns. I saw an interview with Helena and she was talking about the changes in her chest through out filming because she was pregnant and I of course found my self distracted ha because at one point she goes up the steps and they are huge and then she goes down the steps and she is flat chested again. Lol. I am looking to get the soundtrack, and will get the DVD when it comes out that is for sure.

DisneyDog
01-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I thought it was wonderful. I had not seen the stage version and had no preconceived notions. I loved that so many Harry Potter actors were in it. The boy who played Toby has an exquisite voice, and he makes it worth the price of admission, even if you don't want to see the gore.

It is dark, depressing, gory, and absolutely amazing. It's unbelievable how much emotion Depp can portray, even though he barely moved a facial muscle through the film. He is so gifted. I want to see it again...or at least hear the music!

Jared
01-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Simply a fantastic job by Tim Burton, a movie that reestablishes my confidence in the director and his go-to guy, Johnny Depp. It's so refreshing to see Depp, truly one of the most talented actors in the world right now, in a role other than Captain Jack Sparrow. He was delightfully devilish in this dark, foreboding tale and deserves an Oscar nomination for his work. I wasn't sure about his singing ability, and he certainly does not pack a big voice, but he doesn't need one in this role. Depp brings an eerie quality to Stephen Sondheim's wonderful score, so I didn't miss a traditional Broadway sound.

I think we're supposed to laugh at the violence, especially during Sweeney's main killing rampage. Most of the murders occur during a song, and the blood is not realistic. I'm not saying small children should see this film, but even the squeamish should be able to handle the gore.

Simply put, I loved this picture. It's one of my 10 favorites of the year.

ChipnDaleGal
01-04-2008, 07:55 AM
I saw it yesterday and I am all over the place on how I feel about it. I agree that Johnny was amazing as always, and he did great as Sweeney. I liked his voice. I am a huge Alan Rickman fan, so I enjoyed hearing him sing. He has such a mesmerizing speaking voice and his singing was the same. I am glad that I saw it, but it is not the kind of film I will want to view again. The story is so bleak, the characters so void of humanity, the settings so depressing, that it just made me feel sad. So as well crafted as it was, and I understand why people love it, it really isn't my kind of movie. And Helena Bonham Carter will haunt my nightmares for awhile. Not a big fan of hers anyway, and this role and the way she looked in it was scary! :eek: