PDA

View Full Version : pneumonia? Need advise

Jeri
12-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I need some advise and guidance on this one.:(

My 4 yr old was at the Dr. on Monday and they did a chest X-ray but he didn't see anything. They sent the X-ray to Children's Hospital to be read by a Peds Radiologist. They called Tuesday night to say that in fact it was Pneumonia. He was started on antibiotics that night and we have since been back to the Dr 2 more times.
He now is on Amoxicillin, Prelone, and Albuteral Nebs. We have a prescription for a different antibiotic if his fever doesn't break which it did today.

Here is my problem. I have had a Dr, a Nurse Practitioner, and a Triage Nurse all tell me that once he has been on antibiotic for 24 hours and doesn't have a fever he is not contagious any more. We are suppose to go to my Brothers for Christmas tomorrow but, he and my Sister-in-law are saying that maybe I shouldn't come because my nephew is Type-1 diabetic, there will be a 1yrold, my father who has liver and kidney failure due to alcoholism, and my 81 yr old Grandma there. They said that it could be fatal to all them, and I agree but I have asked the Doctor about all of them and they keep saying that he has been on meds for more then 24 hours. I have asked my Step mom about her mother and my Dad and she says that it should be a problem as far as they are concerned.

What should I do? What would you do?
Should we just stay home and then no one will have to worry?

I just feel so bad because he is so looking forward to it. He is still coughing a lot but they said it could last for 3 to 4 weeks:eek:

I am tempted to stay home just because they are making me feel like they really just don't want us there. My brother keeps saying well I guess if they say it is OK, I just don't need to have my kids get sick. ( Like I do :mad: ) I wasn't planning on staying long because he gets tired easy.
So any advise or help with this would be great. I just hope he keeps improving so we don't have to spend Christmas at the hospital. I have never had a child with Pneumonia before so I am new to all this.

Thanks for all the help.

Mickey'sGirl
12-21-2007, 01:24 PM
:hug: Jeri. It is so awful to see your child so unwell -- especially at this time of year. I am currently being treated for pneumonia and am taking super duper antibiotics and heavy doses of inhalers etc. I have continued my regular activities since the second full day of my anti-biotics as the risk to those around me has been eliminated. My almost 4 year old has also been on anti-biotics for his pink eye/ear infection/sinus infection for the same period. He was back at Nursery School (once the pink eye cleared up :D) after the second full day of anti-biotics as well. I have no fear, nor does the school, nor does the doctor that he was contagious after that time -- and if he felt up to it, he should go to school.

What I am saying is that your fears about your loved ones getting sick from your son should be put to rest ..... the only reason I would personally consider staying back (now that the anti-biotics have done their thing) would be if the exhaustion and fatigue that accompanies many ailments sets in.

Good luck with everything and I hope that you are all well enough to enjoy the holiday!

DisneyDudet
12-21-2007, 01:24 PM
First off, it depends on what caused the pneumonia. There are some infections that are contagious that cause pneumonia, but most are not contagious really. You have no idea how many of my patients on my unit develop pneumonia or come in with it. I have yet to catch it. Honestly, if none of your family has any symptoms, you should be safe. I can see the family's worry, but I do not see that the cause of the pneumonia was communicable at all.

The only time I would keep him home is if he felt bad, it would aggravate symptoms, or that he purely needs rest. Also, if he had a cold or other signs of illness before he developed this, it might have been another infection that progressed to pneumonia. But, if the Dr's are saying that he is no longer contagious, I don't see a reason why he could not go over, except for his benefit.

buzznwoodysmom
12-21-2007, 01:28 PM
That's a really tough one. Its always hard when children are sick around the holidays. Of course everyone wants to go and be with family. However, do you think your son is up to it? You said he still gets tired quickly and is still coughing. I would be more concerned about him getting well and not taking him out in the cold or around others who may also be sick. It would be aweful for your DS to catch something else on top of what he is already going through. And you have to put yourself in everyone elses shoes, how would you feel if someone else brought their sick child somewhere and you or one of your kids got sick. My nephews both had scarlet fever and were supposed to no longer be contagious however one of my sons ended up with scarlet fever not long after. When I brought him to our pediatrician I told him the time frame and he said my DS could have very well caught it from my nephews. I didn't blame my sister in law because her pediatrician had told her they should no longer be contagious, but those days when my DS was really sick I sure wished she had stayed home with her sick kids. Hopefully you son isn't contagious anymore, and if you do decide to go I hope no one gives you and DS any grief about it. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

murphy1
12-21-2007, 01:30 PM
If I were in your shoes, I would stay home. It's not only for them, but also b/c it sounds like your son is still trying to recuperate. I have had walking pneumnia twice and was wiped out. When my kids get around the extended family, they get really crazy and run around. I don't know if your son would be overstimulated, but I would just have a nice quiet day at home. I also notice you live in cold climate and I don't think it's a good idea for him to be in and out of that weather and would limit traveling, too.

MMouse6937
12-21-2007, 01:32 PM
I agree with Morgan, he shouldn't be contagious anymore if he ever really was. Pneumonia is normally a result of a bronchitis or other lung infection developing into pneumonia. Most of the time by the time it's turned into that they aren't infectious to anyone else. I understand what you do mean about people being over sensitive about sick people around them. Of course your family doesn't want their children to get sick but they shouldn't make you feel bad about it, especially when you've had medical professionals tell you he's not going to endanger them. Trust me, they would tell you if he was infectious, they don't want that stuff spreading all over the place, especially with how busy the ERs get around the holidays. Go, have fun, just make sure your son gets plenty of fluids and rest, so he can recover.

Merry Christmas, have a great time!

merlinmagic4
12-21-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't know if this will help but when my son would be hospitalized for "pneumonia" (we have since learned that isn't what it actually was), they would remove precautions after 24 hours on antibiotics. This meant that the nurses, resp. therapists, etc. didn't need to wear masks and gloves anymore. So, I would say he is probably not contagious anymore. Whether he (or you) is up to it is a decision you need to make. Good luck and I hope he is feeling much, much better soon!

medic9016
12-21-2007, 03:43 PM
First off, it depends on what caused the pneumonia. There are some infections that are contagious that cause pneumonia, but most are not contagious really. You have no idea how many of my patients on my unit develop pneumonia or come in with it. I have yet to catch it. Honestly, if none of your family has any symptoms, you should be safe. I can see the family's worry, but I do not see that the cause of the pneumonia was communicable at all.

The only time I would keep him home is if he felt bad, it would aggravate symptoms, or that he purely needs rest. Also, if he had a cold or other signs of illness before he developed this, it might have been another infection that progressed to pneumonia. But, if the Dr's are saying that he is no longer contagious, I don't see a reason why he could not go over, except for his benefit.

I agree with what Disneydudet said. Where I work on a military training base we transport about 40 paitents a year with pneumonia. They live in open baracks with 70 other people at a time and it does not spread like a wildfire.

thrillme
12-21-2007, 04:16 PM
I could be way off here but my understanding of Pneumonia is that it's more of an illness that follows a cold, flu or infection of some type. It can also occur in people who've had major surgery and aged patients with weak immune systems (even though they've not been exposed to anyone with so much as a minor cold) I really haven't heard of someone actually "catching" pneumonia from someone. But they CAN catch the flu or cold that came on beforehand. In general once the fever is gone and they've been on medication for at least a full 24 hours they "should" be infection free. But if they still have an underlying cold...nothing will really "cure" that.

Do be too hard on your family. If the situation was reversed and they brought their sick child over you'd probably be upset and nervous too. Especially if the illness could affect your child worse than the carrier. The ironic thing is your child is probably much less infectious than stubborn Uncle Bob who's been coughing for the last 3 months but doesn't need to see "no stinkin' doctor".

I'd say play it by ear. If your child is energetic and feeling well. Plan a short visit with the doctors blessings. If your child is still wanting to sleep and cuddle consider backing out. Pnuemonia has a way of getting worse if the patient pushes too hard or gets a secondary infection that's resistant to the antiboiotics they are currently taking.